Utah Royals FC 2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by BlueCrimson, Mar 19, 2018.

1. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USWNT player Heather O'Reilly just left Arsenal and we should hold her rights since she was previously with KC. What are the chances of us picking her up?

2. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trade her to Houston for Press upon her return from Sweden. Anyone think Houston would take it and Press would stay here for a couple seasons?

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soapbox has a good breakdown of options
    I'm really intrigued by the option to trade her to the Courage. @BlueCrimson what do you think the odds of that are? Who would the Courage be willing to part ways with for her?

4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Trade to Washington for Ashley Hatch.

rslfanboy repped this.
  5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see her play for Utah, where she'd be a likely starter, than go to NC, where she would be a likely sub. And I don't know if Riley would be willing to trade away any of his young players for a player who is in the back end of her career.

15 to 32 repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    her age does really limit how much the Royals could get out of her in trade value. No way in hell Hatch trade works unless we throw in another player.

My guess is she retires, honestly.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several Royals players will be representing their respective countries during the upcoming international break:

US- Sauerbrunn, Smith, and A-Rod
    Canada- Matheson and Scott
    Iceland- Gunny
    Norway- Thorsnes
    Scotland- Corsie
    New Zealand- Bowen

The US players are leaving for camp on the 1st, so they will not be available for the match against SkyBlue on the 2nd. All the other internationals should be available, though.

CoachJon repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No US players for the weekend game? We're ********ed

9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are playing SkyBlue. They have 1 point in 8 games, and they will be without their two best players in Lloyd and McCaskill. I'd still pick the Royals to win, even without Broon, A-Rod, and Smith.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like a 0-0 tie if I ever heard one

Ismitje repped this.
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but this SkyBlue team is so bad. Having only 1 point when you've already played 1/3 of your games (although that could change once FIFA makes a decision on whether or not to award them a victory for their March game against NC) is a sign of a team that absolutely sucks. It's honestly painful watching them play sometimes.

12. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    I have a funny feeling that not having Lloyd and McCaskill might actually be liberating for Sky Blue. I've only seen 2 or 3 games, but Lloyd has looked bad (by her standards) and McCaskill mildly disappointing. I could be totally wrong, since I don't really follow them, but the whole situation feels like a trap for Utah. An away game coming after a deflating loss to Portland; a new keeper, for the first time this season; no Sauerbrunn, O'Hara, or ARod; and an opponent with nothing to lose. To boot, it's not hard to imagine Corsie and Gunny in energy-conservation mode, as they have extremely important WCQ games next week. Now, maybe SBFC is just historically bad, and none of this matters. But I'm already bracing for disappointment.

15 to 32 repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    back up, what is the story with FIFA and and the March game against NC??!

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One of the Brazilian players stayed with NC when Brazil was supposed to be getting ready for their WWC qualifiers. NC kept here for just one game extra, versus NJ, and she was down in Chile for her NT games before the WWCQ tournament started, but she was still playing clubs games after the start date for camp. Brazil complained to FIFA but nothing has happened yet.

blissett repped this.
  15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how can FIFA decide who or who doesn't get points? Aren't teams free to decided who to release or not release for national team games?

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in this case. The Copa America was officially sanctioned by FIFA for the first time this year, so clubs were mandated to release players to their respective NTs.

From what I've heard, the committee that's supposed to make the decision on this matter hasn't met since the complaint was filed, but they should be doing so in the near future. Once they do, my guess is that they'll award SkyBlue a 3-0 win for that game (and they could possibly deduct further points from NC).

blissett repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can clubs not reject a call-up like they can (at least sometimes) on the men's side?

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on whether or not an international match or matches is authorized by FIFA as a mandatory release. Next week is one of those FIFA windows, so national teams can call up whoever they want and clubs have to release those players for international duty.

There have been times where countries have scheduled matches that were not mandatory release, but NWSL clubs were still willing to release the players for those games. The only time I know of that a club refused to release a player was during the Pan American Games in 2015. Canada wanted to call up Sabrina D'Angelo for the competition and Western New York said no, since the Pan Am Games wasn't a FIFA-sanctioned event.

rslfanboy and blissett repped this.
  19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can't on the men's side if it is 1) part of an official event as opposed to a friendly (WCQ, regional tournament, League of Nations) and 2) on an official FIFA date. They are mandated exactly when the player must be released (though they can choose to release them earlier if they wish). The wiggle room (such as with Colorado last weekend) is with a friendly and/or on a non-FIFA date.

RSLer, rslfanboy, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That said, clubs can negotiate or strongly suggest playing time is riding for a player, but if the NT makes the request for a game in the proper time frame, there's no out for the club.

blissett and 15 to 32 repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks. This league makes the FIFA window call-ups very confusing. That explanation makes a lot more sense.

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard a scary (to me) proposition. Lynn Williams to Utah for Utah's guaranteed #1 pick in 2019 plus some other considerations which might include rights to HAO.

But thinking it through a little - Williams is not Laura Harvey's type of player - so even if getting Williams to be up top with ARod makes sense to some folks; I don't think it would happen.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #98 Ismitje, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    @CoachJon, scary because it would be too good for Utah, or scary because it would backfire? I am not sure of your perspective on our little squad, and I can see your post going either way in terms of meaning. :)

A former league MVP with some speed up top might be fun.

RSLer repped this.
  24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speed? What is this “speed” you speak of?

CoachJon repped this.
  25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scary for me because it would mean losing Williams from the WNY Flash/Courage team that I have supported since they came into the WPS in 2011 (and won the title); And because she is one of my favorite players. "I'm just Lynn." see at about 0:50 here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI_ejeAxYy8

RE: the Royals - fun team to watch and root for - you have Diana Matheson back in form - and for me Gunny is a player I didn't know before, but should have; another great personality - the team has tremendous fan support - and Laura Harvey is one of a kind.

Todorojo, RSLer and Ismitje repped this.