Utah Royals 2019

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hopeful that the KSL stream isn't geo-locked.

2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lack of depth on defense is worrisome, given that the likely starting back 4 when everyone is healthy will all be in France this summer. If the Royals miss out on the playoffs because of points dropped due to said lack of depth, not shoring that up in the offseason should cost someone their job.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Closing out the game by keeping the ball around Washington's 18 yard box for the final five minutes plus stoppage was very effective. Stengel should have buried that chance off the sweet ball from Vero that opened up the center of the Spirit defense.

There was about fifteen minutes in half one (minute 15 to 30 or so) where the Spirit should have scored, and Pugh had a great chance late (that she better bury for the USWNT this WWC!), but lots of good play otherwise from the Royals.

(Re-reading his own post, Ismitje is disappointed he did not claim the Spirit threatened for seventeen minutes in half one, from minutes 15 to 32.)

BalanceUT, The_Team, CoachJon and 4 others repped this.
  4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Kelley O'Hara is miles ahead of everyone on the team. She completely changed the game when she came on, and was a large reason why the ball stayed in in Spirit's 1/3 for nearly the entire time she was on the field.

Also, I was a little surprised that Abby Smith is no longer the starter, but Barnhart was great. Definitely a calmer presence.

Ismitje repped this.
  5. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    A few points from me.
    • It was great to see 18,000 out at the RioT for the Royals and hopefully they can average around 10,000 this year.
    • My streak of RSL scoring whenever I get up to get a beer/go to the bathroom apparently applies to the Royals as well.
    • My wife (who isn't a big soccer fan) commented that she enjoyed watching the Royals more than RSL. She noted the lack of diving in the women's game (which also extends to women's basketball BTW) and how much more movement there was compared to RSL.
    • URFC should have won 3-0 with all the chances they created. Hopefully the finishing comes around as the season progresses.
    • Agree on O'Hara. She was a game changer.

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are henceforth forbidden from leaving your seat when the Royals play the Courage ;)

Lack of diving, but also much less likely to see players crowding around refs demanding cards for the slightest infraction. Which is also probably why there aren't as many cards shown in the women's game- refs don't feel the same pressure on the field to show cards, so they keep them in their pocket more often.

15 to 32 repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half against Orlando was solid all around, and the 1-0 scoreline for the Royals fair. First fifteen minutes of the second half gas seen little in the way of possession for us, but Orlando hasn't done anything very threatening with the ball so far.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similar to last week, the possession from URFC improved when O'Hara came on around minute 60.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando should have equalized, minute 75, on a shot across the face of goal that somehow was missed for a tap-in at the far post.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good road win (aka, all wins on the road are good). Not a good start to the season for Orlando.

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That crowding should be prohibited. Let the Captains do the talking. I watched Premier League Rugby last night and there was not even one player challenge to a referee’s decision. Professional men’s soccer is really about the only sport where player crowding of the referee is allowed.

BlueCrimson and BalanceUT repped this.
  12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with this. It is annoying to watch most men's games these days because you're guaranteed to have a bunch of man-babies getting into a ref's face because said ref doesn't instantly book for fouls.

But I still stand by my point that the refs need to start being more liberal with their cards in the women's game without ref crowding forcing them into it.

RSLer repped this.
  13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have often thought that if the ref started handing out yellow cards like candy when he was crowded by players, this would stop very, very quickly. All he has to say is "I only talk to the captain of the team and the guilty player. Anyone else will be carded if they get within 5 feet of me or mouth off." If the game goes as they do currently, everyone on the pitch will have at least one yellow card by half time.

RSLer repped this.
  14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Katie Bowen has officially been named to New Zealand's WC roster. She should be available through the May 19th match.

15. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    So far, the Royals seem more balanced than last year. Maybe not a dominant force like the Courage, but they're getting the ball forward with greater purpose and precision. It's a good mix of players, full of experience, but, with an in-form Press, quicker than before. I really fear for our defense during the World Cup, though.

15 to 32 and jessyca repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mic up the ref like they do and let the fans hear it. I think our captain would lose a LOT of respect from fans in the area, but it would be so much more enlightening.

I jumped back into officiating this year because I'm stupid like that. It's actually been pretty nice. That or I just don't care what parents and coaches say anymore. I try to interact with the players in a way that builds a relationship for the game. I'm not out there coaching or anything, but keeping an open line of communication. When I played there were a handful of refs that did this and it helped (1) make them seem more human and (2) made it so you knew you could ask about things without fear of being booked for simply asking.

Lizzie Bee, stucknutah and RSLer repped this.
  17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year my son was in a baseball 'league' where they took the parents out of it. There weren't official teams, they'd just kind of make them once everyone was there each week. Parents had to just drop off and pick up their kids after a couple hours. While it wasn't anything competitive, I'm sure the kids had a lot more fun without parent intervention. I'm sure officiating was a lot nicer in this situation.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second half has been exasperating to watch as the Royals pour forward with a man advantage and not much danger to show for it. 0-0 with ten left.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have made that post earlier: goal Rodriguez. I like the spark Tymrak brought to the game (but then, I always like the spark Tymrak brings to games). She drew a dangerous foul earlier and got the secondary assist here with a good run and pass.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World Cup "temporary" signing Meaghan Cox made a positive contribution in stoppage time: two long throw-ins in a row which flipped the field by a good 50 yards. That alone is worth the contract.

1-0 for the third game in a row.

acima and RSLer repped this.
  21. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Yahoo a better watch option. Ksl app kept cutting out on me

22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have issues with Yahoo when I use it. One game it buffered in the last minute of stoppage time, but other than that, no problems.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've stuck with KSL because I want them to continue streaming, but the viewer count has never gone past about 110 people this season. Does Yahoo have a counter?

24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big chance for the Royals to extend their lead at the top of the standings today. I'm curious to see who steps in at the 6 with Scott gone. My guess is that'll go to Gunny and perhaps Laddish starts at the 8.

25. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    Not a great showing by the Royals today. Sloppy possession at the back is never a good idea against a player like Daly. Johnson had a nightmare game, Maemone struggled to get forward, and even the usually composed Bowen didn't deal very well with Houston's press. Labonta seemed to play in Scott's spot most of the time. She played well, but she wasn't a great like-for-like replacement. Stengel had a bad day at the office, and Laddish seemed completely spent by the end of the first half.

There were some positives, though. ARod seems to be hitting some form, and Vero was absolutely terrific throughout. I know she had a falling out with the current manager, but Spain is making a big mistake leaving her off the WC roster. Another positive was the weather. It was a perfect day to be at Rio Tinto!