USWNT vs Romania Pre/Match/Post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Nov 12, 2016.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matches that go to penalties are counted as draws. The shootout is only considered a tiebreaker for advancement in a tournament, and not actually part of the match itself.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    None of the newbies stood this match...wonder how big Jan camp will be.

3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try watching a soccer match on a European or South American TV feed. It's like they don't even care when the match ends. They almost never have a time or score graphic (those graphics have got to be an American thing).

4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there will be a CBA by January?
    If not, how will those players get paid; using what basis?

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll probably will work the same way it did in 2012 when there wasn't a CBA until right before the NWSL season started. I think (but I could be wrong...I'm not looking it up at the moment) in that case, players were paid retroactively for the first few months of the year once the CBA was finalized.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, the current agreement continues in effect until the new one is done. The new one then can cover what happens during the interim period, if it is to be different than what the current CBA calls for.

MiLLeNNiuM and kernel_thai repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was having network issues, saw complaints when Williams and Lloyd were criticized and decided I would sit this thread out.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. Thus "not really". It's just a stupid rule, in my stupid opinion.

To every player on that team and every fan, the quarterfinal against Sweden was the definition of a loss, and for that reason I find it ridiculous to tout that the team was undefeated this year, even technically.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  9. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Technically, that is how soccer is scored. Touting 2016 as a successful, "unbeaten" campaign for the USWNT is ridiculous and exposes the craven, hype-driven nature of Fox's announcers.

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #110 Semblance17, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    What bothered me most is the commentators saying the Sweden game "felt like a loss" to the players. It was a loss, in every way except officially. A spectacular, humiliating loss that ended in a quarterfinal the team's run in a major tournament in which they had never before failed to make the final. As much as I hate to say it, that loss overshadows everything else the team did this year. It's an impressive record otherwise, but a hollow one. Saying the team was undefeated this year is like saying a waiter has a perfect record because he never messed up an order even though he once burned down a restaurant.

This tweet was harsh, but 100% accurate.

And from his extensive experience covering [and playing on] the USMNT, Alexi Lalas knows disaster and failure.

11. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you certainly had me agreeing with you until this last analogy. :confused:

12. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the sentiments in your post, but I believe the quoted statement isn't quite right. I believe that for FIFA ranking purposes, using its computer program, the game is a tie.

13. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #113 Semblance17, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Which is officially. Rankings are official.

Perhaps a bit of a dramatization, I'll admit.

But you know what they say: understatement is one hundred trillion times worse than exaggeration.

14. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must not be "old school" New England. I had to insert "old school" due to Patriots fans.:)

15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of you need to borrow my Red, White and Blue glasses.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

16. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a pair of those; I just put them away for now so I wouldn't break them in the off-season.

17. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never heard that one before, interesting.

19. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not everyone looks as good as you when wearing them JD.

PS - I'm referring only to myself.

20. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    An end to a disappointing year (only one match caused it to be a disappointment. Sweden).

Here's to 2017, and ten predictions:

1.) The USWNT will not win every game at the SheBelieves Cup (they won every game here in 2016)
    2.) Carli Lloyd will not be the top goal scorer on the team for 2017
    3.) Mallory Pugh's stock will continue to move up, and some will predict that she'll be the best overall player in 2019
    4.) The USWNT will play in a horrible weather game in 2017 (one of their Top 5 worst weather games of all time)
    5.) Sydney Leroux gets back on the team but has some struggles which causes several to question her for 2019
    6.) Jane Campbell starts at least one match in 2017
    7.) Megan Rapinoe continues to fade away from the big picture (future terms) on this team
    8.) Ashley Sanchez gets called up and flourishes when she finally sees some quality time
    9.) Alex Morgan misses at least one USWNT match in 2017 due to injury
    10.) A certain CONCACAF team beats the USWNT in 2017, causing the masses to call out the coach

21. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    My prediction: Press keeps racking up points and becomes our new starting/featured center forward.

22. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I hope as a result of the 2016 failures, that we discover a bunch of exciting young players to develop beginning in 2017.

23. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the complaining -- this time about all the recent call ins -- already begins. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Or, maybe you weren't posting about the WNT but perhaps about the U20s and U17s? If so, wrong thread.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hopefully there will be an expansion of the pool and not just replacing last cycles flavors of the month with new ones

25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's been an expansion of the pool.