USWNT v Switzerland, Oct 23, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Bank Stadium; Minneapolis, MN
    1:45 PM EST

Coverage on Fox Sports 1 starting at 1 PM EST

Another set of first caps, veilleicht?

2. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FS1 crew that has been doing the recent USWNT games... with JP Tony D & Whitehill... I dunno if its going to be the same crew but that has been the crew to talk about Ohai deserving to be on the team the most. Meanwhile, the ESPN crew didn't even mention Ohai on Wednesday, regardless of the fact that it was her hometown. It's a silver lining of sorts that the FS1 crew might be the ones to see K's first cap.

skybolt repped this.
  3. jerricah

jerricah New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    ^Agreed, I was surprised to not even see Ohai on the 18 or have any mention of her homecoming. Surely Ellis could have been confident enough to at least sub her in once we're up a few goals? Was nice to at least see Hatch play, though she's not actually a Utah native.

I really hope Hatch gets some significant minutes and gets to play in her natural role as a striker. She was called to a U23 camp last year so they must have had their eye on her. I've watched her over a few years and she really is quite impressive -- I saw some preliminary talk about Ellis just blindly selecting the top scorer in the NCAA. Tenacious, blinks past defenders, great ball skills, hits hard with both feet, tall and very scrappy. Three career hat tricks including Portland and Penn State. Hopefully the nerves are out after getting her first cap in front of friends, family, and her team. She didn't get many touches as the last fifteen minutes seemed to be entirely on the opposite wing , but her positioning seemed fine and she executed her few touches well.

And, although this should be less important, this sport is searching for a bigger market, and she certainly has a marketable look. I'd say she could be one of the PR stars of the team but she seems a little timid judging by some interviews I've watched.

Namdynamo repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I saw that I think but cant remember except DiCicco and Lalas r in the studio

5. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Morgan was super timid as well. You can overcome shyness.

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I must be the hardest guy to please in the world. Why arent Groom, Gilliland & Colaprico on the bench?

Myrtle repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, clean, un-embellished, uptempo Star Spangled Banner.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 Gilmoy, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    USA - Suisse
    07' 0-1 Sandrine Mauron. Somebody do pbp! What happened?

I bet she split the CBs! oh, wait --

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The US is dominating possession and losing.

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Lloyd scores a golazo.

"Hit with no regard for humanity."

1-1

MiLLeNNiuM, lil_one and Semblance17 repped this.
  14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18' 0-1 Yellow card on Mauron -- for bumping O'Hara?

25' 1-1 Sullivan dribbles to circle top, one-two pass with Lloyd to her left, then a simple pass upfield to O'Hara at 30m arc right. One-touch square pass to Lloyd unmarked at 31m centerline, Lloyd takes one touch to 24m center and blasts right foot golaaaaazo over GK Thalmann's fingertips, just under crossbar 1/4 right. I hope this means we have Good Carli today :coffee:

33' 1-1 Dunn hop-volleys a backpass to Lloyd at 24m mid-right, Lloyd one-touch ping (good :D) down box right for Williams outflanking, with Dunn available down centerline. Williams rolls a ground cross toward 3m right post, Abbé taps over endline right. Thalmann remains seated with -- a knee twinge? Trainers come out, all others get water. Thalmann resumes.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    lil_one repped this.
  16. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    45+1' (of +3') 1-1 O'Hara escapes down box right to endline, floats a cross over Thalmann and juuust over Williams jumping backward at 1m 2-left.

45+3' (of +3') 1-1 Dunn collects in own 1/3, beats #22 Bernauer's press through midfield box right, rolls a good 20m ground pass to 25m arc right for Williams -- just offside.

HT 1-1.

17. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, the US should wear the Swiss down in the second half -- but Dickenmann is illustrating the problem with playing the 3-5-2. when the opposing side has a top notch offensive player.

Sullivan looks solid again in the midfield. Williams and Dunn are knocking on the door to get another goal each.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 Gilmoy, Oct 23, 2016
    07' 0-1 #11 Dickenmann shoots from ~15m box right, Harris sprawls and blocks it out to 12m 1/4 left. #20 Mauron has inside position on "RB" Sauerbrunn, rides off her hip-challenge and volleys right instep across mouth, over Harris still down, into back right. Basically a lucky-bounce scramble goal, hence the flaw was probably not the 3-back, but the 5 in midfield allowing the ball to get past them all.

46' 1-1 USA subs in:
    - (1 of 6) #23 Christen Press for #6 Morgan Brian
    - (2 of 6) #3 Samantha Mewis for #5 Kelley O'Hara.

46' 1-1 Switzerland subs in (1 of 6) #12 Stenia Michel for GK #1 Gaëlle Thalmann.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

EDIT: I'm just now tuning in, so no comments on the 1st half, but it looks like from the stats and comments on twitter that the US mostly dominated the play, just not the scoreline. Since Ohai is on the bench, and Ellis is usually using all of her subs in friendlies like this one, it looks like we'll see Ohai get her first cap very shortly.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Lloyd gets her second after a Press shot rebounds off a defender.

2-1

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Press gets one: 3-1.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    3-1

Press gets this one.

23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 Gilmoy, Oct 23, 2016
    51' 2-1 Lloyd counters to circle front tangent left, rolls a pinpoint diagonal pass to Press at 15m right post. Press settles with a cutback touch to 14m 1/3 right, left foot shot blocked by her defender's lunging calves. Ball pops up high, drops to 17m 1/5 left. Lloyd runs on, volleys right instep straight upfield, past Michel's right hand, into 1/5 back low. Lloyd as poacher :D

53' 3-1 Sullivan touches to circle tangent back right, chips medium-long to Press at 24m mid-right, 2m behind 3 defenders but held onside by #15 Abbé inexplicably hashing the trap line. Press measures the bounce, one-touch no-look lob over stranded Michel, drops into 1/5 right back low. Press as poacher :notworthy:

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance is 23,400.

CoachJon and lunatica repped this.
  25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia