USWNT v Switzerland, Oct 19, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Oct 6, 2016.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the grand scheme of things, if she plays in a game it doesn't matter in which one.

taosjohn repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Ohai took a knock during one of the training sessions.
    Anyone hear anything?
    She wasn't even in the 18 selected for this first match, correct?

3. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  4. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    #129 Calci0, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    I was told to move on... ;)

But good points!

5. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That's what my mindset has been, but some feel for sentimental reasons she should have played in Utah.

6. Caversham

Caversham Member

Oct 25, 2015

7. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so relieved.

(This post is also in jest.)

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It was more or less tongue in cheek. Anyway, the story of yesterday is Lynn Williams and the other rookies, IMO.

9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Andi Sullivan, won't Stanford need her too?

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well I dont buy into the theory either but the first thing Ellis did after slinking into the job thru the back door was cut Allie Long. Or maybe Steph Cox was the first victim. Then she cleverly cut Dunn right before the big WC payday. So,
    Long gets the boot before CONCACAF (WC) -$15K
    Dunn gets buried on the bench before missing WC, -$300K
    Harris gets dropped to #3, which makes her a non paid alternate at OG -$15K
    HAO and Engen then get clipped off the CONCACAF (OG) roster -$15K each
    HAO gets OG alternate -$15K then retires -$50K +
    Engen gets the boot -$100K

No wonder Heath is playing so hard now :)

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So, u didnt care that Portland got the semi final at home because in the grand scheme of things they still would have made the playoff...or was it nice to see them at PP?

MRAD12 repped this.
  12. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Lynn was very impressive, i completely agree. Hope to see her in Minnesota. I could see her having a bright future with the National team, although we are working off a sample size of 1 in this uniform.
    Sullivan had a great first half, sort of disappeared after that. She seems to have a good understanding for the game.
    Dunn was fantastic again, while she made a few errant passes, she was everywhere.

Brian, Lloyd and Heath all seemed to be pissed off while playing, everyone else looked to be having fun.

I thought Short plays exactly the way Short plays. She's fast, but i don't think she's a great defender and her crossing is suspect. At one point she sent in four (in a row) the of the worst crosses i've seen by anyone in a WNT jersey.

It's very clear that Ellis wants an incredibly fast outside back though, she's mining for it. and she's going to fit someone fast there.

the Ohai support camp here at Bigsoccer is still going strong i see. is she even suiting up in MN?

Namdynamo repped this.
  13. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

Her sister is married to JJ's teammate.

the sisters really like fake eyelashes. #kardasianeffect.

14. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a couple final thoughts - -
    I was skeptical about Salt Lake City....however, Stadium set right at the base of a mountain range....how cool is that!!! Loudest 14K crowd (without an AO section) that I have ever witnessed. The SLC bunch brought it. I can't wait for the next match there.

So, so ecstatic for all the youngsters. Their individual play may be judged at varying degrees of success but - 1st match, they survived it, they all remembered to breathe.

I try to avoid technical discussions of an individual's play but - - I can't imagine Crystal not in the starting lineup for about the next 6 years.

CoachJon repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    WWC, you actually think people watched this game live when the greatest show on earth was happening over in Vegas? Please, where's the replay?

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as we can all agree that POTM often doesn't mean much, I think its noteworthy in this case that Andi Sullivan got POTM honors. How's that for a first cap?

BlueCrimson and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    [QUOTE

I thought Short plays exactly the way Short plays. She's fast, but i don't think she's a great defender and her crossing is suspect. At one point she sent in four (in a row) the of the worst crosses i've seen by anyone in a WNT jersey.

It's very clear that Ellis wants an incredibly fast outside back though, she's mining for it. and she's going to fit someone fast there.

[/QUOTE] Regarding Short (again I did not see the USA game vs. Swiss), I watch her play for the Red Stars and actually she is a great defender and her crosses are usually spot on (watch her pass to Press when CRS tied Washington late in the NWSL semifinal, as a example, that many of us CRS fans saw all season from Short!) and often lethal. Also,
    unfortunately, the Swiss were missing perhaps their three best players that other Euro teams have to deal with all the time (I know the USA had a lot of new players playing too but the Swiss are a dangerous team when at full strength).

18. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Let's try this again, sorry!
    Regarding Short (again I did not see the USA game vs. Swiss), I watch her play for the Red Stars and actually she is a great defender and her crosses are usually spot on (watch her pass to Press when CRS tied Washington late in the NWSL semifinal, as a example, that many of us CRS fans saw all season from Short!) and often lethal. Also,
    unfortunately, the Swiss were missing perhaps their three best players that other Euro teams have to deal with all the time (I know the USA had a lot of new players playing too but the Swiss are a dangerous team when at full strength).

19. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jill Ellis was quoted as saying no injury, coaches decision.

I've already exhausted myself being angry for Kealia so I'm not keen on ranting any more. Yes it was a missed opportunity for USSF for a good story. They/Ellis were either ignorant/unaware of the fact it was Kealia's hometown or they/Ellis did know & had reason to believe running Ohai out in the 90th minute to wave to the home crowd as she got her first cap was somehow bad for Ohai, bad for Ellis, bad for the USWNT, bad for the fans, bad for whatever.

Ignorance or mala fide is my take, but for Kealia's sake (& mine) it's time to move on. There's a huge crowd waiting for Kealia in Minnesota. She's got to work hard in camp to ensure she gets that first cap & can move on from the bad taste in her mouth from Wednesday. She's had to overcome a lot of crap to get to where she is now, there's no reason to think it will be any different at this level.

skybolt and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  20. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Why would there be a huge crowd waiting for her in Minnesota?? I'm pretty sure most casual WNT fan has no idea who she is.

I don't think she's the interchangeable highly technical player that Jill wants. She's more like a HAO....
    I mean, I'd give her a chance, no doubt. But from what Jill has said about what kind of players she values...it doesn't surprise me.

21. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Yeah, because Jill won the World Cup in 2015 because of such GREAT technical play.
    Our best overall "Technical" player had all of our goals in the FINAL. :ROFLMAO:

22. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch!

23. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the ouch. HAO was a fantastic player & the idea that a coach wouldn't value what she brings to the field to me is reflection of that coach & her ignorance of soccer, not vice versa. I do think Ohai is a little bit like HAO in that she likes playing wide, but we've seen Kealia develop an inside move in the past few years that HAO never really had, & Ohai is an exponentially better finisher from distance & tough angles.

skybolt and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of me agrees with you that Ellis prefers interchangeable, highly technical players. I also agree that Kealia is more specialized as a power winger in the mold of HAO, give or take on a few attributes. Where I disagree with you is how this logic has anything to do with whether or not Ohai deserved to be run out in stoppage time in a 4-0 game to wave to the crowd. Everybody wins. Nobody loses. Whats the motivation for not doing that? It either skipped Ellis' mind or it was a calculated move in bad faith. Neither of those reasons are good.

skybolt repped this.
  25. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    read my post again. i clearly stated "i would give her a shot."
    however, as i said, as was the point of the post...I do not believe she is the mold of player Jill is specifically saying she wants.
    why in the world would she let her play stoppage time if there's no future for her on this team.
    it's false hope and the WNT is not here for charity.

Ohai has been part of the NT juniors since she was 14. Jill has seen her for a decade and knows exactly the player she is...people really forget that here.

lunatica, cpthomas and BlueCrimson repped this.