USWNT v New Zealand, August 3, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Aug 1, 2016.

1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is she German?

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Then you don't participate. Her comments acted like this was a Brazil problem. Thousands of Brazilians are affected. She is a visitor who does not need to visit. She didn't even delete her offending pictures.

I am friends with an Olympian who is competing in sailing. He is literally competing in raw sewage. He likely won't be near medal contention. He is doing it for the sport. When interviewed about the conditions and Zika he was diplomatic.

sitruc repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is a married woman, she is not pregos, but she may want to have children in the future, she may have said dumb stuff, but other Olympians have said similar stuff, and some even pulled out, at least she went.

She took the boos well in her interview after the game.

jackiesdad and Gamecock14 repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    liked Brian in the #8. Good starts for Morgan, Heath and Dunn.

lil_one, lunatica and Semblance17 repped this.
  5. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As tasteless as Solo's "#zikaproof" tweets may have been, the spectators showering her with boos every time she so much as breathes on the ball for an entire game [and possibly the entire tournament] strikes me as perhaps more juvenile than the offense that caused those boos.

jackdoggy, Roger Allaway and jackiesdad repped this.
  6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't disagree.

She had a chance to be diplomatic and didn't do it. She has the right to say whatever she wants. I am just not going to be sympathetic about it. Then again, my opinion doesn't matter.

sitruc and Semblance17 repped this.
  7. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, not a bad start from the U.S. in this tournament.

One down,

[​IMG]

RockyTopFan and jackdoggy repped this.
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #133 Cliveworshipper, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Well, don't expect it to stop. It didn't for Marta in Germany or in England.

9. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Exactly. What she said was no worse than others including the leading world expert in health. I'm sure the Brazilian contingency remembers the numerous big matches solo shut down Marta and company to lead this team to gold though. She's an easy target at this point tho, self imposed at times but also we continue to see a double standard.

jackiesdad repped this.
  10. SPFC Fan

SPFC Fan Member

Jun 21, 2016
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    on the Hope Solo question

throughout the year the question of zica was treated as bigger than it actually is by international media and in the winter the number of infected mosquitoes is very small, so brazilian people don't live in fear of zica. Because of that some people see images of Hope Solo as an attempt to damage the image of the country and the event

But I bet most people in the stadium didn't even know who was Hope Solo and made the zica chants for fun

sitruc, Cliveworshipper and Gamecock14 repped this.
  11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'm betting they all know who Hope is.

12. SPFC Fan

SPFC Fan Member

Jun 21, 2016
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    unfortunately Women's football isnt popular in Brazil, the "common" football fan usually only know Marta and Formiga

13. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I disagree though and I think it's easy to forget how littler we knew about Zika just 6 months ago and how potentially dangerous scientist, governments and world organizations across the world though it could be. and it still can be for that matter.

Sure, media sensationalizes things, but when the UN is demanding laws be changed in Catholic latin american countries to accommodate abortions or The WHO is saying move the Olympics, when the Vatican is even weighing in and the Brazilian government mobilized over 50 percent of it's resources to Zika, it's a big deal. It's not the media's fault. or hope solo's fault. She's the least of Brazil's problems, unless we're talking about Marta.

14. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Phelps being the flag bearer for Team USA USWNT won, and SOFTBALL IS OFFICIALLY BACK IN THE OLYMPICS (2020)!!! It's a good day to be an American

RockyTopFan repped this.
  15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Most Latin American countries allow abortions now if the health of the mother is involved.

https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/default/files/factsheet/ib_aww-latin-america.pdf

16. SPFC Fan

SPFC Fan Member

Jun 21, 2016
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    The vast majority of cases occurred in the summer northeast of Brazil, in winter the number of cases is too small (near zero) , Today it is much easier to get zica in Florida than Rio de Janeiro. The fact of you think that the Brazilian government spent 50% of its budget in zica shows how bad informed the international media is,
    The expected 2016 Brazilian government budget for zica and other diseases is about $800mi, Olympics + World Cup spendings were around $20 billion (Yes, it's a shame to us)

if I had any fear about rio de janeiro, it would be to be murder

sitruc, Dundalk24 and Gamecock14 repped this.
  17. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I never said 50 percent of it's money... i said resources, which they did for a time period.
    here's the link from a Brazilian news agency:
    http://brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2016/02/13/politica/1455383958_196275.html?id_externo_rsoc=FB_CM

And, yes, hindsight is 20/20 while the drop in zika has occur even in places such as Manus, nobody fully knew it would until recently. This may be scientist, domestic and international, where being too careful thus coming off as alarmists, but when things start transmitting sexually, people tend to cautious.

18. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was funny. They were chanting 'Ole, ole ole ole, zikaaaa, zikaaaa.'

19. portiere

portiere Member

Jan 11, 2007
    I liked our play from the flanks. Heath had a great game. New Zealand was a lot weaker than I expected, tho maybe that's the US quality speaking. I hope we don't wish we had a couple of those chances we missed back if we draw with France.

20. SPFC Fan

SPFC Fan Member

Jun 21, 2016
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Sorry, I translated Resources wrong :sick:

These army mobilizations are quite common in Brazil summer due to diseases with mosquitoes, unfortunately people continue to keep tagnant water in their homes

exref and sitruc repped this.
  21. SPFC Fan

SPFC Fan Member

Jun 21, 2016
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC

this was only the beginning, the music will be louder in the next games hahaha

YankBastard repped this.
  22. wf1g

wf1g Member

Oct 15, 2014
    on Tour
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    France look REAL good.

exref repped this.
  23. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    sorry to beat that whole topic ad-nauseum. i liked Hope's response "rather it be loud than quiet".

yes, and to Joni Mitchell who has an account on BS, I agree. France looked great. Brazil looked really dangerous and Germany was very good too.

All three teams look to have the pieces to be more offensive this tournament than the WC. Which worries me, we are not as good defensively this year. Jill has traded in some Defense with Krieger for some offense with O'hara and I don't think it's a great idea. Also, Ali Long is a fair dip from cheney or lloyd's defense in the middle.

I'm worried, it hasn't been as organized as it needs to be in the back.

24. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    France have made a habit of looking real good. And then...

But on paper, along with the US, they're the most talented side competing in Rio. No luxury for the USWNT to build into the tournament before a huge test this time.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was arrested for Drunk Driving 2 times.

That Athlete privilege.