USWNT v Mexico, May 26. Pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, May 18, 2019.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alas, I'm afraid your congratulations are premature. Unfortunately I've decided that it's just not the cards for me this time. It was a cool idea to entertain, and if I'd come up with it a little earlier it might have panned out, but in the end as usual I folded like wet cardboard in the wind (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invertebrate). There are just too many variables in play, or so I've chosen to tell myself.

For the lucky attendees, please give the team the best final send-off that you possibly can. Although the stadium capacity is 25K, I want the team to see, hear, and feel the support of 310 Million Americans. Although I would have infinitely preferred to have personally contributed to that wave of patriotism and enthusiasm which the team will ride across the ocean, instead of willing it through a TV screen over a thousand miles away, my presence or absence is ultimately immaterial. I can console myself from the disappointment by reminding myself that I BELIEVE the next time I see this team in person [hopefully by the end of 2019, optimistically with the same roster, preferably in South Florida], they will be sporting FOUR stars above their crest. Although I wasn't able to have this poster acknowledged [or autographed] by any member of the team during their Send-Off Series, that doesn't make it any less valid in my eyes.

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 9.19.16 PM.png

2019 WILL BE GLORIOUS

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Speaking as a former cabbie, that's a general rule-- if both are available, the train is really always the better option, with the possible exception of trips to someplace really off the beaten path. Even if you just missed one and have to wait for the next.

And if you get a cabbie who just started and doesn't know the tricks... you could be in for a slow trip despite his/her best efforts. The train's driven by a guy who has done it before, and doesn't have or need a choice of routes.

3. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Averaging 0.5 miles an hour for two hours, huh? Yikes.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 10.12.52 PM.png
    Since you'll be in the Outlaws section: I feel the need to emphasize that my desire to hear this chant break out has only increased since St. Louis. Several Outlaws there [including one history teacher in particular who had been having his students learn it when learning about World War I, and asked for a picture] recognized the lyrics on my poster, and lamented the fact that more people couldn't recite it since it was so relevant to this World Cup venture. I'll keep dropping the idea to the AO pages surrounding the event, so on the off chance that that snowball starts rolling, push it [and please let me know]. It would be incredibly gratifying. Thanks.

CoachJon, McSkillz and Patrick167 repped this.
  4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yep, that was my third match at that WWC and by the end I thought I was going to need iv fluids like Akers at the '99 final.

BTW: On the penalty save by Solo during the match that was called for a retake I did not feel she moved enough to warrant the retake and I still do not really understand what her yellow was for. I was behind that goal about 20 rows back.

jackdoggy and CoachJon repped this.
  5. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 jackdoggy, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    If you don't mind, I'd like to do a Mr. Spock Vulcan Mind Meld to see those memories:D:D:D.
    And didn't they call Rampone for encroaching into box on that one??

6. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, since it seems that this match will be the last one at which it will be possible to obtain this wristband in person [after the game from one of the players or Coke reps around the field], I must reiterate from the other thread that if anyone is able to obtain one and is willing to part with it, please contact me. I can offer you whatever value you deem fair for the wristband itself, compensation for your trouble, and my eternal gratitude for mitigating my shameful failure to obtain one in St. Louis a week ago. As about the greatest fan of the USWNT and of Coca-Cola that you can imagine, I can guarantee you that no one else in the world would value it more than I would. I would greatly appreciate any efforts you can make. Thank you.

[​IMG]

This would save me the trouble of scanning frantically for a month straight for only the chance to win one of the 1,000 to be made from the Send-Off Series goal nets, which should be up for grabs starting next month.

7. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32 jackdoggy, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    I'll try to snag one for you, depends on who is there from US Soccer. and damn I forgot no field seats.

8. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #34 jackdoggy, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    But as you have mentioned before, the Players will probably NOT mistake a 115 year old, slightly overweight Czech like me for an eight year old named Ashlie.:D

Semblance17 repped this.
  10. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well exaggeration aside, and as I've suggested, I would consider that discrimination fair if every eight-year-old named Ashlie could commit to wearing that wristband 24/7 until literally reaching age 115 (which I would).

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I recently heard about a man in Ingushetia who died this month at the age of 123. So was he supposed to drop the wristband for the last 8 years of his life? :coffee:

Semblance17 and Gilmoy repped this.
  12. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    87987.jpg
    Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary – The Mexican National Team. For twenty-eight years, your teammates before you and previous National Team members played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We are going to France and they are going home.

The order is: Unleash Total Awesomeness.
    Untitled2.png
    Jersey in late May instead of early March!!!! Wwwwwwwhhhhhhhoooaaaa. About 82 at the Kick - 50 degrees warmer than usual (Yes, I should just let it go). I much prefer sunblock to arctic gear.

Early, early Match time of 12 Noon ET on ESPN so please take all necessary precautions to be properly hydrated. My programming guide also suggests there is a 30-minute pre-match show.

After consulting with various world renowned physicians in North Texas, they have unanimously diagnosed me with a terminal case of USWNTitis(əs/wən/tī/təs). Non-attendance at USWNT Matches causes the affected to become irritated, to generally mope around, aggravation and being bratty as a three-year old. Fortunately, there is no cure.

2,968 minutes to Heaven on Earth created by 23 American Women with Red, White and Blue Blood pumping through their veins.

The Journey with these Women, which is about to go overseas….WILL BE

GLORIOUS

Semblance17 and McSkillz repped this.
  13. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a weird call for sure. Apparently, encroachment from Rampone which looked so subtle on the replay, the commentators were confused on why the officials decided to call it.

Then they gave Solo a yellow I think for dissent?

14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    During the match I did not see any encroachment, but I was behind the goal so encroachment would be hard to see, but I did see Solo move slightly off her line as the kick was taken which is a violation and I "thought" that was what was called. I just thought that the movement was so small that it is usually let go.

I had over extended myself as my bad hip was acting up and the pain was making everything harder than it should be so it is very possible that I missed many things at that match. I refuse to take pain killers and that means that sometimes even sitting can hurt a lot.

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  15. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would probably slip off your wrist by that point.

blissett repped this.
  16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I wanted to die of alcohol poisoning I would make a drinking game out of "Role Model".

Whats the over and under for how many more Time, Inc covers Alex Morgan is on before the end of July?
    Your choices: Travel + Leisure, Food & Wine, Fortune, People, InStyle, Life, Golf Magazine, Southern Living, Essence, Real Simple, and Entertainment Weekly.

blissett repped this.
  17. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if this post [or my reply] was intended for this thread but now I really want to see the Alex Morgan Golf Magazine cover. :D

blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, the very fact that he reached 123 is a sign that he was active and healthy at least until 120. The report I saw was showing him merrily digging in his yard at a similar age. :giggle: I guess he could have proudly worn his wristband at least through his whole 12th decade without any slipping from thin wrists.

19. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CoachJon, jnielsen, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  20. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I could have sworn kickoff was at 12 PM at one point.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There is some confusion. Some reporters are still saying noon and it's still noon on the schedule page. One portion of the site had begun to show actual kick times recently, but it seems to have reverted to broadcast times.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

MiLLeNNiuM and Semblance17 repped this.
  23. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see. So that "KICKOFF IS SET FOR 11:30 AM" bit is probably a bit of misdirection by US Soccer aimed at diffusing the arrival crowd.

24. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beachhead Established - - .7 miles from Red Bull that I can see out my Hotel window.
    It does sound like USSOC is desperately trying to get those attempting to squeeze church in before the Match to reconsider. Memories are pouring back of this place, that George Rogers Road which runs in front of Red Bull is a nightmare leading up to matches....oh well good luck everyone. Semb, you should have come and parachuted into the Stadium pre-match - - everyone would have thought it was a military thing.:D
    218 minutes to Utopia.

CoachJon, blissett and Semblance17 repped this.
  25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #50 Semblance17, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Now you tell me. I thought that was a nice touch at the St. Louis game. I this case, the planners likely would have known something was up when four people landed instead of three.

Enjoy the match. Sounds like there will be a gratuitously awesome amount of patriotism, which is only appropriate for Memorial Eve. I believe there's a 50% chance you'll appear on TV, like you have in the past.

Should you [or someone else] find it necessary to lay down a bribe to obtain one of those goal-net wristbands or buy it from one of the recipients, please be advised that I'm prepared to double the price. :D (Emoticon aside, I'm not joking [maybe just a little, about the bribe]. I would have done one of those two things in St. Louis if I'd had the guts.) Let them know it's for the #1 [or at least tied for #1] fan of the team and a Top-10 fan of Coca-Cola [maybe leave out the fact that I'm a 27-year-old male, unless they ask].

jackdoggy, blissett and Kevin625 repped this.