USWNT: The Pool

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Nov 10, 2013.

1. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Whoever said it was? My point was the NWSL was started and is run by USSF to develop players. So, if it's the NWSL's job to develop players, it is USSF's business to develop players.

I thought he was moving a bit slow to change things though 2013, but from the Algarve specifically, the only things I thought really needed improved from how they played were the team's urgency and finishing. Two things I think the team still lacks. The team was playing great possession oriented ball, which is what I thought people had wanted introduced. I honestly can't say I think they look any better now than they did under Sermanni.

No, I was saying you make it sound like there is no time. I think the opposite, it's always time for development. I don't think just cause there's some tournament coming up a new player can't be called in to camp or a friendly just to gain some experience.

There I agree with you, and why I think giving young players development time with the full squad is a good thing. Where else are college players supposed to develop? On W-League/WPSL teams? Yeah, we all know how stable those teams are.

Not sure you can say traditionally, when they've only had a league during parts of 2 of the previous cycles.

As another little mental exercise, name one men's World Cup player (doesn't even have to be a star) on a team that made it to the quarterfinals who came up through the US college soccer system in the last 10 years.

The men's and women's development systems are different. You can't really compare the two as long as getting a free college education is preferable to playing professionally for those 4 years to women.

Oh no! Not as long ago as 2007! :rolleyes: They're still the #2 ranked team in the world. The point is they don't feel it's a detriment to develop youth players by bringing them in with the full squad.

I think Popp was overhyped, but that doesn't mean her development was hurt just cause she played with the full team at 18. Christine Sinclair's first cap came at the age of 16, and I think she's had a pretty successful career.

lunatica and Namdynamo repped this.
  2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I feel like you're agreeing with me?

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of which extra players they decide to bring into camps, we all know the squad is mostly set. Right now, they need to figure out a starting 11 and the fringe players that will be emergency callups. I don't think there is any harm in bringing in a young player like Sam Mewis, who has had a very successful 2014 and has already improved tremendously from her previous stint with the WNT. Bringing her in is a lot larger of an investment than calling in someone like Long, considering neither will likely make the squad anyways.