USWNT lawsuit against USSF for getting paid less than USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Jazzy Altidore, Mar 9, 2019.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woo hoo, so does income tax, property tax, and sales tax.

Jesus Christ, are you saying that government regulation of any kind means that something is not controlled by market forces? Because Texas having zoning laws means they're not free either.

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's the most equitable solution -- balancing gender equality of opportunity with the reality of revenue generation. I'll bet we're not far off from that right now.

xbhaskarx and DHC1 repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost. If you put the word “solely” before market forces, then I would agree.

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have kept with your break from the thread. Struggling.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in the next contract does the fed just offer the women exactly the contract the men have?

6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    If the Fed were actually bad-faith actors they'd probably do that, and the WNT wouldn't sign it if it were presented to them.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I actually think the Women would lose quite a bit of money if they signed the agreement the Men have. Or put more exactly, the current Tier 1 players would really lose a lot of money compared to their current agreement.

The two teams operate in completely different environments. The job of "Women's Soccer Player" is just not the same as "Men's Soccer Player". Not saying either is harder or less demanding. They are just not equivalent.

The way the data was cherry picked by the lawyers for the women leads me to believe this is all just a P.R. campaign. I think the Women would do better to just pocket the fees they are going to pay Kessler for this.

8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? What does "good faith" mean for a Federation that is being sued again after the WNT signed a CBA in 2017?

9. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they produce less revenue, give the WNT the say per-diems and hotel accommodations and all that stuff. Make paychecks based off revenue created solely.

I never want to hear any of this stuff again

Patrick167 repped this.
  10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Because USSF could very easily, very publicly say "okay ladies, here is a brand new CBA and it is identical to the MNT CBA in terms of how much you all get paid and all the off-field gameday stuff like hotels and per diem and such are now identical here you go" and the women would absolutely turn it down, because it would remove a bunch of guaranteed income they currently receive that the men do not.

That would be USSF negotiating in bad faith, using the public forum (as the WNT has now attempted to do during 2 WC cycles) against the people they're supposed to be negotiating with.

11. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Of course they would; that's what I mean.

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the WNT is negotiating in "bad faith", right? What if USSF released the WNT's proposed "compensation based on revenue-generated" model?

Because the entire reason this is an issue is that nobody knows what the CBA is, and what each side has suggested...

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Some of the hotels are not USSF's choice but FIFA's. The women seem to be blatantly ignoring this.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    There's cherry picking and flat out lying. The women have been using the argument comparing income if the men and women both play 20 friendlies a year. Not one reporter has asked if the men play anywhere near that many friendlies.

15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I wouldn’t say the WNT is negotiating in bad faith per se, but they’re definitely trying to leverage public opinion and general ignorance of the realities of the situation to their advantage. Which is certainly their right when trying to get paid.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why is it not the USSF's "right" to shine the light on the actual economic realities that the USWNT are distorting in the public eye for personal gain? It's "bad faith" for the USSF to do it, but it's fine when the USWNT do it? Sounds like a double-standard to me.

I'm not a believer in "tit for tat" in all things, but when someone accuses you of something and submits evidence that's clearly biased/doctored to make themselves look better, you're well within your rights to fire back with a full picture of the evidence.

17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Maybe “bad-faith” wasn’t the right adjective. I simply meant that if USSF wanted to be difficult or play a little dirty they’d negotiate that way.

18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be perhaps a little "hardball", but the WNT opened the door to that option is all I'm saying. Do you want to negotiate all behind closed doors? That's fine with me. Do you want to start saying things in public that aren't true (or, aren't fully true)? Well, you might get a publicized refutation as well.

19. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    I actually think this lawsuit could work in both USSF's and the USMNT's favor. They attract a lot more news coverage and casual fans from a lawsuit for equal pay than they could get from playing a bunch more she believes cups, or whatever other glorified friendly tournaments they come up with. I think the women win regardless of the result of the lawsuit, because they attract more fans. And if the women attract more fans, USSF wins too. The actual facts of the case are almost irrelevant.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’ve certainly alienated some fans.

21. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    if that's the case, the men should be looking at significantly lower salaries.

22. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    i haven't seen any alienation. if they continue on a mediocre playing path, i could definitely see some backlash, however.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should read the thread. Plenty of posters alienated by the lawsuit.

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More dishonesty.

25. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    my suspicion is that many of these posters aren't actually fans.