USWNT, is it just me?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Kool Herc, Jul 13, 2011.

1. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody likes a sourpuss, how could you not even like the fact all of these girls love soccer, that's a plus in my book.

Lastly, there's a lot more to women than just pictures in magazines.

...back to important things.
    LOL, brought the smile right back to my face.

2. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I think for the growth of the sport, it is crucial that we win this World Cup. I was watching PTI the other day and one of the writers brought up an excellent point. Soccer in America is gaining interest, and fast, but there just hasn't been that event that wakes everyone up. To some extent we did that last year, but with our culture so centered around being the best and winning, that high was shortly lived. I feel that we stand on the edge of becoming at the very least a soccer acknowledging country, and I believe winning this world cup could put us over the top.

3. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could care less of they're lesbians or not, that's not my point.
    But to try and paint them as visually appealing is ridiculous.
    Like I said, if they're hot then so is Jodie Foster, Melissa Ethridge and Bea Auther.

4. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL
    I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.
    Nothing hinges on the success or failure of women's soccer in this country.

5. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I relate it to the attempted forcing of Danica PAtrick down our throats as some sort of sex symbol, and it has been down by entitites like ESPN.
    She's about the most plain looking woman I've ever seen.

6. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nowhere did I say anything hinged on the success or failure of this team, all I was saying was soccer is gaining momentum, and winning a world cup, albeit in women's soccer, is a pretty huge achievement.

7. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if either team wins it's good. If Japan wins it's a triumph for technical development, if the U.S. wins it's a triumph for fanbase, I think both are good for U.S. soccer.

I think it's going to be a good match too.

You really need to get out more.

8. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ESPN just did a good job making me go from "who cares I just need something to watch right now" to "God I hope Japan wins." LOL It was that piece about the tsunami that sold me.

EDIT:

I want to see Hope Solo naked btw.... not being disrespectful just saying, she's hot.

9. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is confirmed, unfortunately...for me.

10. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    The big turnoff for me is just that few other countries really play women's soccer at a high level, so the field is just not very competitive. I look at it like men's basketball... yeah it's nice that we have a good team, but what fun is it to watch when all of the other teams are garbage? It's not fun at all. I hate international basketball because there are only two possible results: we win like we are suppose to, which = *yawn*, or we lose and get embarassed, which is even less fun. I feel it's the same for women's soccer.

That's what I like most about men's soccer, is that there are so many good teams and it's so competitive that even if your team is among the best, there are so many other elite teams out there to challenge you. Where are the elite teams in women's soccer or men's basketball? There pretty much aren't any besides USA, so it's no fun to watch because of that.

11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    There has only been 5 women's world cups since existence and USA has won 2 and Germany has won 2. In all of the world cups for men's, Brazil has won 5 times, Italy has won 4 times and Germany has won 3 times. Those 3 nations have won the majority of world cups but that is with many more world cup's than the women. So if you look at the first 5 world cups in existence for the men you see Italy won twice and Uruguay won twice. So as you can see there is not as much disparity in the men's game as you suggest. Also, like the first few women's world cups, the men's also lacked disparity. Over a longer period of time, I imagine we will see more and more disparity. Just be patient :)

12. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That was quite a choke job by our women's side. Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe, and Abby Wambach are prety legit though.

13. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
  14. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing good about the Women's team loss is that Sunil can't hide behind a World Cup win to deflect growing criticism of him on the Bob Bradley issue.

15. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cap Morgan for the USMNT!

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Sundhage too

17. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    WTF!? Why is the ceremony in German!? I'm outraged!! :mad:

18. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It no longer matters. After that choke job, women's soccer is done in this country, and WPS will be out of business at the end of the year. Hopefully the men's team will take advantage.

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my what a great summer it has been.

20. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't hold your breath. Gulati and the USSF are so incompetent that the chances of it happening are less than 0.

21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Troll. Most disagreed with his (Howard's) comments.

Methinks you're bitter from getting your ass kicked this decade up until now.

22. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Ohhhh you can't take a joke? :p

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    You're just going to kick off a lengthy thread-jack of every Mexico/U.S. result in the last ten years by responding. Just roll with the punches and let Mexico fans track every U.S. forum. :p

On topic, I don't feel quite as gut-punched as I did for recent U.S. choke jobs on the men's side, but still it sucks to seem the U.S. women drop the ball in the end. Extinction-level meltdown for the shootout. I can't get too pissed off, though. Morgan and Heath are too cute to be mad at!

24. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    It's getting really tiresome watching the USA squander opportunities on the big stage.

2009 Confederations Cup Final
    2009 Gold Cup Final
    2011 Gold Cup Final
    2011 Women's World Cup Final

Well played by the USA women to get to that point, but you gotta take your chances when you get there.

25. Interested Bystander

Mar 26, 2007
    Well he can hide behind Brazil and Argentina now.