USSoccer Suspends Hope Solo for 6 months

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Aug 24, 2016.

1. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    IMO, I believe the USSF learned something from the Solo termination and has decided to approach the delicate Rapinoe situation in a different way. They'll likely just phase her out over time, and by the 2019 WC she'll be a distant memory.

2. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    But isn't this stereotyping in the other direction? For every cop who makes a stupid judgment (and yes, in some cases commits a criminal act), there are tens of thousands of other cops across the US whom handle similar situations in a much more professional manner. In this scenario the Tulsa cop was charged with first degree manslaughter and the courts will decide her innocence or guilt. For instance, as an engineer, should my work colleagues and I suffer repercussions and protests from civilians for the collapse of the I-35W bridge in Minnesota several years ago, if we had no hand in the design or construction of that bridge? What Kaeppernik and Rapinoe are doing is basically labeling all policeman as racist with their protests, instead of seeking justice for certain individuals committing criminal acts.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can, in fact, watch the entire post-match (post-Seattle at Washington) interview with Rapinoe, in which she says Lynch is homophobic. If you watch the interview, you may be like me and give her a little more latitude (although she certainly could have responded much better) because the question she is asked is loaded and is actually about Washington Spirit not having Pride nights rather than her protest.

4. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    yes, i've read this. I knew about this already.
    Because her comment had zero, nothing to do with veterans being homophobic. NOTHING.
    are people here really unable to digest information accurately?

[/QUOTE]
    2. For me Rapinoe lost the high ground with her statement after the Spirit incident. Her deduction that a veteran taking issue with her protesting the flag must have homophobic undertones was just as classless as Solo confusing good tactics with cowardice.[/QUOTE]

Wrong, this is not what she said and you chose to lie about the context of the question and the answer in order to lie on Bigsoccer. Her response had NOTHING to do with veterans. zero. you're making shit up.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said that she did?

Kernel_thai said "a veteran" not all veterans. "A veteran" refers to Lynch who, you know, is a veteran.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I think it's way out of line to call someone that because they don't have a pride night. There is a difference between making a statement and looking like a spoiled brat. Rapine's job is to play soccer, period. Just as there are no rules that say she cannot take a knee during the anthem I guarantee there is no written rule that the anthem must be played to fit her schedule.

7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    it has nothing to do with veterans, which is what was stated.
    one or many, it doesn't matter. i never said "all" regardless.

8. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    agree with the first sentence. those are not light sentiments to be throwing around. You may only want athletes to be athletes, they are public figures and Rapinoe's job is whatever she wishes it to be. Pretty silly to say to any person, you can only do that job I expect you to do.

9. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    My employer reminds me of that every day. I can't promote whatever I want at my workplace.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #385 Cliveworshipper, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

Actually, it does. In his explanation of why he did the Anthem with players not present, Lynch went on about himself being a veteran and he having some sort of Special place that gives him claim to the anthem.

773676904146755585 is not a valid tweet id

So her referencing that claim is legitimate.

He, btw, has a somewhat incorrect history of the Anthem. It has nothing to do with WWII, and was sung at Yankee games in 1918, well before it became the official anthem in 1931.

11. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    You have a weird boss.
    That's cute that you think you can compare yourself to a public figure. you're not.

12. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    If you're going to be quoting me and taking part in this conversation you should at least know what and why you are quoting something.

Kernel said the: "2. For me Rapinoe lost the high ground with her statement after the Spirit incident. Her deduction that a veteran taking issue with her protesting the flag must have homophobic undertones was just as classless as Solo confusing good tactics with cowardice."

SHE NEVER DEDUCED THAT A VETERAN TAKING ISSUE WITH HER PROTEST MUST BE HOMOPHOBIC.

Which is completely wrong and what i'm responding to. Yes, she called him, potentially a homophobe but it wasn't for not playing the anthem. It was for her discussion with current and past Washington players and the Spirits decision not to have a pride event.

It's two different things.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

You don't have Nike Skybolts?

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Baseball owners instituted it in WWI as part of their campaign to persuade Wilson not to shut them down and draft all their players for the duration. It was dropped between the wars, then started again for WWII. Korea followed close enough on to VJ day that it wasn't dropped again, and by the time that was cleared, Tail Gunner Joe was in full flight and it was completely unsafe to do anything but "see the flag-be the flag." "Under God" was added to the Pledge at roughly the same time, and jingoism conquered all.

So the tradition was born of cupidity, reborn of a sort of reflex, and perpetuated out of fear. It offends me as a fan from one direction and as a patriot from the other. It has no business at the ballpark and it seems entirely appropriate and acceptable to disrespect it in protest of anything at all-- as it was disrespected by its introduction in the first place.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Rapinoe's job is not what she wishes it to be. She is first and foremost a soccer player. This gives her a platform to make statements but statements are not her job.

I have no problem with Rapinoe taking a knee. I question her motives, her maturity in the video, her skills as a player going forward and whether the contract is best for the USWNT as a fan but she is free to take a knee.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #392 Cliveworshipper, Sep 23, 2016

Not to mention that Key was a slave owner and was born on the Terra Rubra plantation, his next door neighbor and brother in law was Roger Brooke Taney ( also a slave owner) , who was the third Chief Justice and wrote that " a negro has no rights that a white man need respect" in the Dread Scott decision.
    ( Taney's bust is in the process of being removed from the front of city Hall in their home town of Frederick, MD. Decision next week, maybe.)

Keys vision of the land of the free explicitly excluded slaves.
    The third stanza of Key's poem includes lines condemning slaves fighting for their freedom.

Four months before the battle of ft. McHenry, British General Alexander Cockrain offered slaves freedom if they defected and full pay if they enlisted in the British Army. Many did. The Key family moved its slaves West from Terra Rubra, the family plantation about 40 miles West of Baltimore to avoid their defecting.
    Cockrain honored the promise, btw, and freed slaves were evacuated to Nova Svotia after the war along with other British Soldiers. Many descendants fought for the British in the war of 1812.

Key penned his lines when Cockrain invaded Baltimore, including the lines about hirelings ( Hessians) and (ex) Slaves Fighting for the British.

An eponymous Key descendant was one of my roommates in college, and I lived three blocks from the Key and Taney homes later.

And I'm pretty ok with the original pledge of allegiance before it was bastardized by religious and jingoistic interests.

" I pledge allegiance to MY flag and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, with liberty and Justice for all."

The flag belongs to each person and Liberty and Justice are the underlying principles.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #393 Cliveworshipper, Sep 23, 2016

This is America. You are free to say political things other than what your employer says you must.

19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You are also free to read the rest of my post.

20. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    True, but Rapinoe isn't exactly Lebron James either, and at 31 with injuries she could be expendable to the NT.

21. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    With the right marketing it could work. :)

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I could talk to folks at Wieden and Kennedy if you want. They do the Nike accounts.

But don't get your hopes up. I'm not very sanguine about their listening to me. I gotta admit, the name is catchy.

23. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #398 BrooklynSoccer, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    It's strange you're talking about unprofessional and immature people on the job in this situation.
    ............ Unfortunately, Terrance Crutcher, Philando Castile aren't here to remind you what it means to actually encounter someone who's professional motives are in question, or who simply can't do their job.

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without a doubt it was way out of line, and tactless, and bordering on slander. I just give her a bit more grace after watching the interview and hearing the question that she was responding to.

Neither Lynch nor Rapinoe came out looking good after that NWSL match.

And we really do need a separate thread on Rapinoe taking a knee since the discussion is now spread over probably 5 or 6 threads between this forum and the NWSL forum.

exref repped this.