USSF threatens "replacement players" for Feb. qualifier

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by BuffloSoldier, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think you are really out to lunch......the reason the deadline is feb 1 is that the regular nats dont need at much time to prepare, but the "scabs" need more prep time....that said, feb 1 is still the deadline.....

as for T&T wanting to exact 15 years of revenge, perhaps for never ever beating the USA, but not for that game itself 16 years ago.....but their crowd is never hostile, always chanting and singing, they dont throw feces at the players like central americans

2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this new mediation under the PA's old proposed terms ie That the parties agree to arbitrate unresolved issues??

4. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    I'm glad to hear that they got a mediator coming in, hopefully this mediator can help the two sides come together so we can focus on more important things, like Germany 2006!

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You can stick with meditation and mediation. I'm already reduced to medication.

7. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    If this guy gets this ironed out, can you IMAGINE the tailgate privs he gets for life?

"Hi, I'm Joe Schlaboetnick. Don't know a damn thing about soccer, but by sheer force of personality, charisma, intimidation and reason I fixed the biggest labor issue facing your sport ever.... Bring me your tasty adult beverages, your grilled meat products and your comely young virgins."

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

see hookah reference.

9. Soccer&Sinatra

Soccer&Sinatra Red Card

Jan 13, 2005
    I have a feeling this is all gonna end if the replacement guys pull off a nice win against T & T.

Soccer has grown in this country on all levels in the last 10 years. The quality of the pelevls of soccer in the USL and the MISL has grown a little bit.

There is gonna be a collective "OH oh" coming from the players if they have to play another game without the manin group.

What is gonna happen is all that money that they are looking to get paid is gonna become negated by having four or five games played without them and the replacement guys get paid.

"WE want a raise!" OK here ya go. but since you havent been working the last 3 games your about where you were before the raise.

Love Frankie

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only virgins at soccer tailgates are the guys.

11. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe they're haggling over bonus money for winning the World Cup.

That's like me trying to decide whether I would rather have sex with Eva Longorio in bed or in a hot tub.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Northside Rovers again.

13. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: USSF threatens "replacement players" for Feb. qualifier: T&T [R]

anyone thats particularly concerned with whether the USA replacements could beat T&T, word from the CONCACAF board is that about a week ago, Antigua and Barbuda beat T&T 2-1......

maybe it was just a friendly, maybe T&T didnt have its regulars from England and such in there, but who knows if that team will be ready come feb 9.....

14. We have met them several times since 1989 and beaten them, including in their country. Since their loss to Antigua and Barbuda, they have added a loss to St. Vincent & the Grenadines in a game that could have knocked them out of the Gold Cup. And our youth crushed their youth.

If we send our first string, I will gladly wager with you that we win the game on their pitch. I'll give you loss and tie.

15. I, for one, would have done it pro bono. Okay, maybe for some tix to a Hex match in LA and a team jersey. And two players to spend a couple of hours with my son's U10 team.

I'd be perfect. I have no idea what's going on (other than what I've read here and in the media), I don't care who "wins" at mediation, I just really really really want a settlement.

FMCS, to answer one poster's q., will provide a mediator when two parties to a labor dispute jointly request one. There is a rigorous screening process to get onto that panel, and parties rarely "call in the FMCS" idly. They must be serious about settling, so its a very good sign that this has happened. J. provided a link, so check it out if interested.

16. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

options are limited for having a hex game in LA....its too bad that Canada isnt in the hex, LA would be perfect for them, except for all the hollywood canadians that would obviously come out....

maybe they will send you to one in Portland

17. We'd host T&T if we didn't want to have a pro-opponent crowd. We'd host Mexico and hold it in the Rose Bowl or Coliseum (depending on whether USC or UCLA is home that weekend) if we wanted to make more money to resolve the present dispute and were willing to risk having 75,000 Mexico fans and 25,000 US fans.

They could send me to Portland, Birmingham, anywhere.

Nah, just send me to Germany!

18. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    J,

I read this on the USNSTPA site.

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/exclusives/461502.html

In it you accuse the Fed saying "Playing public relations games at this late date is not fair to the fans."

But you are doing exactly the same thing by throwing out statements like "We are dealing with a Federation that only has its internal politics and interests at heart. This is damaging the sport because no one within the Federation is willing or able to save the Federation from its own dysfunctional and self-destructive behavior."

It is signed "The members of the US National Soccer Team Players Association."

I'm curious, was a draft reviewed by the full PA membership and approved?

19. ColomboZelaschi

ColomboZelaschi New Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Devil's Backbone
    There must be some anxiety in Carson, therefore downtown Chicago. With the announcement of the proposed meeting tomorrow, after seven workouts, the "scab" option is likely losing its luster. The Fed owns the decision to use scabs and I doubt all of Soccer House is pleased. Why would the Fed bend to involve a "mediator" now? The genius decision to replace the players was an easy sell on paper. I can hear it now, "We will save all this money, we can build new fields for Clive and little sister Sedona, the foods sucks in Germany anyway and hell, give the Board a raise." Now however, sending a bunch of rag tags to Port of Spain to get their arses kicked does not appear in the Fed's self interest. They would own it and I am betting they have buyer's remorse. In a game of chicken, you never blink. The Fed has and once again they are exposed. If they resolve the impasse, cheers and the first round is on me. Regardless of the outcome though, the Fed has pilloried their players and somewhat slighted their coach; for what? I would have more respect for the good doctor if he held to his L&W guns, went to Port of Spain, lost 6-0 and locked out the team throughout the WC qualifiying. I have said it over and over, he is naked and leads by sticking his finger in the wind. For the unfortunate scabs, the wind appears to be blowing in the player's direction.

20. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fed offered mediation already. Any meeting is probably a last attempt by both sides to find a way out of this. We can't martyr the players anymore than we can call the fed a warm and fuzzy organization. It's not in the players interests to have a replacement team put it in a hole it can't get out of either should a deal get worked out later. Both sides stand to lose from stubborness.

21. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole situation pisses me off. I would consider it an honor to play for my country. I dont care if I was the best player in the world. I would never put world cup qualification on the line for a little extra money. What is wrong with these guys, this is the world cup we are talking about. If we have to play with replacement players I hope every one of the A team players lose their positions. this is a bunch of bull.......

22. ColomboZelaschi

Aug 7, 2004
    Devil's Backbone
    What do the players have to lose if the scabs go to Port of Spain? They will have done nothing. They would have been locked out, replaced and irrelevant. That is why this is brewing tomorrow. The Fed cannot blame the players for what occurs in Trinidad unless the players go. The scabs are the Fed's, that is going to take a lot of explaining on Feb 10th by the Fed, not the players. They must be nervous. If they were sure of the scabs, then do you think this meeting would be going forward. Their position would be greatly enhanced if they were to go down there and win with scabs. Obviously, that is not in the cards.

23. ColomboZelaschi

Aug 7, 2004
    Devil's Backbone
    What do the players have to lose if the scabs go to Port of Spain? They will have done nothing. They would have been locked out, replaced and irrelevant. That is why this is brewing tomorrow. The Fed cannot blame the players for what occurs in Trinidad unless the players go. The scabs are the Fed's, that is going to take a lot of explaining on Feb 10th by the Fed, not the players. They must be nervous. If they were sure of the scabs, then do you think this meeting would be going forward? Their position would be greatly enhanced if they were to go down there and win with scabs. Obviously, that is not in the cards.

24. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA

I can see the email from L'stein right now:

"But 15 years ago, they made Caligiuri have sex with Joan Rivers."

25. ColomboZelaschi

Aug 7, 2004
    Devil's Backbone
    I guess Nike and Phillips should just do the right thing as well. This ain't bull pardner; this is bizness.