News: USSF bans heading for youth players

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SeñorFutbol, Nov 10, 2015.

1. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I think that's a fairly bizarre viewpoint, but to each his own I suppose.

2. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, Chance to polish off that Physics and Astronomy degree:)

It's actually not force that would cause a concussion -- it's the energy transferred. Since kinetic energy varies as the mass and the square of the velocity, how fast something's moving can be more important than how massive it is. A one pound ball moving 30 MPH imparts more force than an 80 pound body moving 3 MPH.

As others have noted, much more often it's about collisions and kicks that concussions happen, but especially with poor heading technique concussions do happen with just heading the ball.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The speed vs mass comment gave me an idea. Imagine a tifo with a play on this the next time the revs play Cbus, a team that describes itself as "massive" - maybe we have Slyde with a blistering trail behind him to symbolize speed, go around a massive jabba the hut looking crew guy with a yellow crew hard hat. "Speed > Massive"

Maybe the physics majors would at least get it. :D

a517dogg and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for nothing, but it annoyed the hell out of me when Taylor Twellman kept using the word "massive" to describe a play by the Crew this weekend. I loved him as a player, but he is starting to move up the list of my least favorite broadcasters... To be fair, he still has a way to go.

5. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO, Marcelo Balboa is the standard for bad soccer color analysts. TNT may have his bad moments, but he's not close to Chelo yet.

6. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    QUOTE="Revs in 2010, post: 33226729, member: 7566"]OK, Chance to polish off that Physics and Astronomy degree:)

It's actually not force that would cause a concussion -- it's the energy transferred. Since kinetic energy varies as the mass and the square of the velocity, how fast something's moving can be more important than how massive it is. A one pound ball moving 30 MPH imparts more force than an 80 pound body moving 3 MPH.

As others have noted, much more often it's about collisions and kicks that concussions happen, but especially with poor heading technique concussions do happen with just heading the ball.[/QUOTE]

If you're brushing off your degree, you also have to consider the elasticity of a soccer ball compared to that of an elbow or head. Also, and I'm far enough removed from college to remember the terminology, when someone heads the ball they usually redirect the ball at a glancing angle so the head would only be absorbing a fraction of the energy. Like the difference between throwing a ball directly at a wall in front of you compared to throwing a ball that bounces off the ground and continues forward.

7. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    In that case, defenders heading the ball from goal kicks is going to be a much bigger deal than trying to nod in a cross. Which makes sense to me, I hated trying to head the ball when it was coming down from 50 feet in the air, but getting a glance on a cross didn't bother me as much (of course, I sucked at both).

8. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'll add that at the youth level the skill kids should be working on is that chest trap. Learn to track the ball, take the extra step and bring the ball down under control. Most of your heading opportunities at the youth level are on goal kicks/clearances. No need for them to be heading those balls.

9. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    So true. This is a particular challenge with coaching girls.

MM66 repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arrgh! His trademark "and you know what?..." is like nails on a chalkboard. Then you have Shemp Messing, one of the original stooges

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny thing is these guys will graduate from college(maybe) and play in pickup games on the weekend for another few years and then never play again. They are not even good enough hold Taylor's jock strap and could only hope to accomplish what he has both on and off the field

YankBastard repped this.
  12. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Refereeing them as well. Half of them "chest" the ball with their forearms against their chests, and half the coaches want a handling call when they do.

13. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you people are happy....you ban headers for youth soccer players and it is already effecting the men's national team!!!!:laugh: