USOC: Atlanta FC v. Charleston 6-9 (r)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tuesday night

the 2009 USOC begins for the Battery. We get a NPSL amatuer team from Atlanta
    Here is an article from teh great www.usopencup.com
    http://usopencup.com/home/337324.html

they aare definatly looking to be the cinderella team of the tournament.

Charleston rested a couple players on Sunday (Hudock, Wilson, patterson and spicer came on late) I would assume in anticipation for tuesdays match

Also according to reports Woodbine (jamacian international) will be ready to go as will Yoshi. I guess Armstong is still a couple day away.

I know the club takes this competition serious and hopefully the players wont underestimate this team. According to the article they have been scouting out the Battery and are a very offensive orienented team.

First goal will proably set the pace of the match. If ATLFC get one, I could see them putting everyone inside the 18 yard box and trying to hold on. If Charleston gets one, the score line could look like a gridiron game as Atlanta chases the game.

http://www.charlestonbattery.com/matches_previews.asp?cid=434

it looks like this match will be on usllive (kick off at 7:30) but I imagine only the west side of the stadium will be open as it was the last couple years for the early rounds of the USOC. Attendence probably wont be much above a 1000 either.

Weather right now looks like thunderstorms will be rolling in tomorrow afternoon (40% chance of scattered storms) so hopefully it stays realitively dry for the match.

E10 will be moving to W10 for this match by the way!

mikey

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    I hope we can dismiss them early enough to give some players a rest and others a chance.

Prediction: Charleston - 4
    Atlanta FC - 0

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Auggie will rest some of the starters and go with some guys who havent normally started, see how it goes, and then bring on the "starters" if they are needed or

start the big guns and then sub out later.

Im not sure but I think during the USOC subs are FIFA standard (3 per match) were durning normal USL league matches I believe they can sub up to 5.

I imagine well see Yoshi get some time as he is just coming back and Woodbine might see some time in wilsons spot.

Bremudez is another that I would like to see get some more time.

I imagine either Spicer or Patterson will pair up with Heniermann for the start

Its raining in North Charleston right now so remember the rain gear for tonight!

5. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, these big mismatches always worry me.....shite happens and we've all seen it. Plus, we're not known as a fast starting team. A PK here, a red card there....anything really can happen. I don't want to be a USOC headline tomorrow. Hopefully, we can put a goal or 2 in fairly early and coast to the finish line. Get some players some PT and pray that no one gets injured.

6. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they split the difference between the USL (5 subs) and MLS (3 subs)....meaning I think teams have 4 subs available for the USOC. I'm sure it's written down somewhere but I'm too lazy to go search....

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did a little research and the early rounds teams were allowed mroe subs. Starting this round though, it is FIFA standard 3 sub rule

8. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charleston win 2-0. Atlanta have 3(!!) players sent off.

9. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very rough match. Not sure the officials had enough control over it or if Atlanta just wanted to come out to hurt some folks. Good thing THIS Atlanta club is not in the USL, otherwise, there would be a big time rivalry now...

Nevertheless, take the win and move on to Saturday.

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Hope Atlanta got some fines...watched the game on USL live and some of those tackles were pretty dangereous and well deserved of a card and some got luck it wasnt a straight red. Even the Atlanta fans on there were shocked at the Atlanta team

Guess they had a chip on their shoulder since we were still in USL and the only team they have now is a rag tag group of guys....lol

12. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Um, there is still a team in the PDL, the Atlanta Blackhawks, and neither one probably care that you're still in USL and we're not. I know I don't. I hope we're back in the USL D1 someday, if we don't get MLS, but you're dreaming if you think either Atlanta FC or the Blackhawks are going to generate any kind of rivalry with the Battery.

Take your trash talk to the Railhawks, somebody who can do something about it.

13. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

But you cared enough to come on to our boards and feel the need to say something?...lol

Yup that makes a WHOLE lotta sense

14. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Too damn funny. :rolleyes:

15. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Hey, you were the one who was trying to get something started. I was just pointing out that there is no need. The Battery-Silverbacks rivalry will have to be put on ice until Atlanta gets back into USL, or the Battery and Atlanta MLS meet in the USOC. A PDL and NPSL team just ain't gonna cut it.

As for fines, can you fine a team for being stupid enough to get three players tossed? Even I know when to tell my players to calm down, and I'm a lousy coach. Resorting to crap fouls is bush league, plain and simple. The Bats (or rather, the CopperTops :D) should have wiped the field up with them.

16. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Hey, you were the one who was trying to get something started. I was just pointing out that there is no need. The Battery-Silverbacks rivalry will have to be put on ice until Atlanta gets back into USL, or the Battery and Atlanta MLS meet in the USOC. A PDL and NPSL team just ain't gonna cut it.

As for fines, can you fine a team for being stupid enough to get three players tossed? Even I know when to tell my players to calm down, and I'm a lousy coach. Resorting to crap fouls is bush league, plain and simple. The Bats (or rather, the CopperTops :D) should have wiped the field up with them.

17. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

No see trying to get something started would involve going into the Atlanta threads (of which there are none) and posting stuff in there. I was posting my own thoughts of the game in my team's thread. You my friend came into here trying to start something. I may be young but im not an idiot...i can see what you are trying to do.

You Apes will never get into MLS...how can you expect people to show to MLS games when they dont show up to your USL games? And it wasnt the 3 players that were tossed it was the amount of cards and I wasnt the first to bring it up...the people that were watching USL live were so i figured i'd bring it up here because i was curious.

You may be a lousy coach but youre even a lousier blogger and **** starter. ;)

18. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I wasn't trying to start anything at all, and I'm still not. I just took issue with what you said. The Battery has better ownership than the Silverbacks ever did. What happened to the 'Backs was their own fault. We're just happy it lasted as long as it did.

I imagine that NPSL players are probably not the caliber of PDL, and therefore play rougher to compensate. Thus, they pay the price.

USL attendance is no gauge of how a potential MLS team will do. Case in point: Toronto. Atlanta MLS would be run a whole lot better than the 'Backs ever were.

Later, dude.

BTW, I don't blog.

Good luck against Miami; hope it's a win for y'all.

19. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @DavidP....so is the ownership group that is trying to secure an MLS franchise for Atlanta different than the ownership group that had the S-Backs? Hopefully so....if not, you could expect the same result I'm guessing...just on a larger scale.

20. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Thankfully, yes. The Falcons' owner Arthur Blank is the one trying to get MLS to Atlanta. He put in a bid this last time, but had issues with getting a stadium deal done, and I think he took a little hit from the economy as well. The 'Backs' ownership couldn't pull off MLS if they wanted to.

21. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe you guys can get Vick to be your point-guy in this deal! :D Kidding of course....and yes, a cheap shot.

I'd like to see an MLS franchise come to the South and Atlanta is as good a place as any to have one. I only hope that if it comes to fruition that the ownership team uses their brains and chooses to use natural grass instead of field turf.....:cool:

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    found the starting line up from last night match

CHARLESTON BATTERY

Goalkeeper: Dusty Hudock

Defenders: Nelson Akwari, Matt Bobo, Frankie Sanfilippo, John Wilson

Midfielders: Scott Buete, Ian Fuller, Kenji Treschuk, Tyler Hemming, Darren Spicer

Forward: Dan Antoniuk

They have it as a 4-5-1 but usually spicer plays up top for a 4-4-2. I could see Auggie having Spicer slip back to congest the midfield.

23. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a GT alum, it still chaps my ass my school STILL doesn't field a men's soccer team in the best college league in the country....the ACC. When I was there, it was over 20% foreign students, we could have fielded a killer team and I'm sure they still can. And don't blame it on Title IX, a minor sport is minor money to a big university. Get on with it GT.

And Atlanta can't get a decent pro soccer team.....I can't believe out of that population there's not a couple of rich folks that want to see the game at the highest levels. Americans will fund every possible dumbass business venture one can imagine......Have you ever stopped at South of The Border on I-95? And we can't rustle up a few crazy soccer fans in Atlanta with a little disposable income? I'm very disappointed in my 2nd home.....:(

24. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Atlanta fans want a team they can believe in. The Ruckus/Silverbacks were snake-bitten from the word "go," back to the beginning in 1995. They never won the confidence of people here (those that knew about them, anyway).

If a team had a stable owner, who wouldn't throw in the towel just because he's not king of the hill anymore, or doesn't want to play by the league rules, or has more money than sense, and then ends up with neither, people in this town would get behind them and support them. Perhaps if Blank can't get MLS here, he might look at USL.

BTW, I heard something a few years ago that it was cheaper for GT to pay the fine to the ACC for not having a soccer program than it was to actually have one. I don't know if it is true or not, but that's what I heard (from a Tech student I reffed with). Tech could have the team from hell is they'd just start one. They'd be to the ACC what Southern Poly is in their [NAIA] conference; a start-up team with real punch. I imagine they'd be nipping at the heels of UNC and Clemson in a very short time.