News: USMNT vs Mexico | WCQ - the 2013 Edition...

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ThreeC, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the "undercover" bit that I don't like. Often they are underaged folks that got caught who get a sentence reduction for doing this. It's really entrapment in many ways (if not by the book) and often on technicalities. Nationwide Arena almost lost their license due to a sting run this way a few years back (and most of the workers are volunteers). It's why they are so picky about ID these days.

2. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's why B-dubs and many other places have gone to the "everyone must have ID" way of doing things. I saw a 50 year old man refused a drink last time I was there because he didn't have an ID on him.

3. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    It really is the only way to CYA. Get all employees to check every id everytime. Simple

4. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    That's the thing, too: Once you turn 21, who really gives a shit? I am not put out, ever, by having to show my ID.

KCbus repped this.
  5. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    And when you get into your 30's and above it is almost like a compliment

6. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This definitely was not something where it was an under-age person but strictly "selling beer without a permit." Anyway, I'll let you know what we hear in terms of a fine. Several people have contacted me on various social media channels about donations and I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the guy running this even *from* Ohio?? Would be sad if it were a guest getting this treatment.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    This is the sort of BS that I hoped had gone away when Bob Taft left office. His wife Hope was big on cracking down on public alcohol consumption. Buying a temporary beer permit is basically a tax. It's what the various Greek, Italian, etc festivals do. The state wants its cut. At least people can tailgate at OSU again after the Holbrook years. Gordon Gee was a Mormon who understood the value of alcohol as a social lubricant.

In Ohio you have to be 21 to be a police officer but only 18 to be a sheriff's deputy. There used to be busts where a 20 year old deputy in uniform would buy beer because who cards a cop in uniform? They used to do stings where a college kid would take his parents to dinner. They'd drink wine while he drank coke. He'd pay the tab, then the restaurant would be busted for selling alcohol to an underage person even though he didn't consume it, so no carding was required.

9. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a Crew guy.

10. pjguldan

pjguldan Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The undercovers I saw were not younger. Looked middle aged with non-descript casual attire.

11. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why there are no beer vendors walking around in Nationwide Arena.

While I'm ranting, why can't I buy wine on Sunday before 10:00? I held up a checkout line last week because it was 9:58. Stupidface politicians with their BS morality.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Which is odd. How many 50 year-old men don't have an ID?

13. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only the terrorists.

14. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought at the moment as well.

15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1690 Bill Archer, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    A lot apparently, and they're all Democrats trying to vote.

KIDDING!!!! KIDDING!!!!! A JOKE!!!!!!

Seriously though, for some reason I can't recall I left my wallet in the car at Crew Stadium once and they refused to sell me a beer. I didn't get mad, exactly, since the volunteer behind the counter was only following his instructions but come on.

I like the places that now say "if you don't appear to be over 35 we're carding you".That way you can still choose to look at it as a complement (you can be 40 and happy that you look 30, but n0obody will believe that they confused you with a 19 year old) without everybody doing Kabuki theater with some senior citizen trying to score a beer.

Apropos of nothing, Ohio law says that you can buy your own kid a drink in a restaurant or stadium no matter how old he is. Someone else's kid, you get busted, but parents can do what they like.

But good luck getting a waiter, bartender or manager to let you. They're so scared to death of the state liquor control people that they won't even talk about it..

(And I'm not talking buying your 8 year old a brewski here. I used to try it just for entertainment when Mook was in college. I mean, seriously; nowadays when you enter college as a freshman they hand you your dorm key, a class schedule and a red plastic cup.)

16. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    My 70 year old dad still operates under the assumption that as long as he carries some cash, he is in good shape. He also suffers from the fear that someone is going to steal his identity. He also has his concealed carry permit, while we're at it. I could easily see this being my dad.

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    My sister (who is a prosecutor) lets her kids drink a little (they are 14 and 16). I always wondered if that was legal. My dad (who was a judge at the time) used to let me finish his beers when I was a kid. I realized later that I was probably getting half spit but wasn't phased then. My parents didn't care where I was after school as long as I turned up by dinner time. Nowdays not knowing where your kids are is practically considered child neglect and a crime. If I had kids they'd be more free range than most.

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    The person should have known that accepting money for beer is illegal. Great idea, poor execution but I guess as Crew fans we are used to that sometimes.

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this law was changed recently--in the past few years. I was not able to find any confirmation, however.

20. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this out a few weeks ago when golfing that the course can only sell you X amount of beers based on how many holes you are playing. I had a group of 4 of us and I tried to buy enough beer for everyone, since others were running late and I didn't want to hold the course up. He said the State Law made it so I could not purchase the amount I wanted to due to the fact that I was one guy and playing 18 holes. I told him that I was buying for the group and he still wouldn;t let me. Said the state inspects their books and are much more vigorous on how they are selling beer. I don't remember the exact amount of per's per 9 holes.

21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If it makes you guys feel any better, there's no open container of any kind allowed at TFC games/Exhibition Place. TFC fans bring starbucks cups to tailgate with. Though the roving golf cart police will simply confiscate or tell you to pour it out if you get caught, not arrest and fine you.

22. Mojo Jambo

Mojo Jambo Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just trying to find a place that sells beer in PA is a pain in the ass.

23. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sitting at the airport bar, the same situation happens like clockwork. An obviously 21+er sits down and orders a drink, bartender requests ID, customer seems shocked that this is happening and makes some stupid comment about the situation, sometimes struggles to find it (which is the weirdest part to me - you've just been through security), and shares a chuckle with the other 3 people that this just happened to. Over and over.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1699 Kryptonite, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

1) It must be cool to be able to buy beer while on the clock, bust up a party (which didn't really do anything super wrong, save one person's lack of judgement) AND be able to sleep at night. Of course, I'm being highly sarcastic, but I wish MY job let ME buy beer on the clock. (Insert whatever smiley you like.)

2) I agree on number three. Why did they need all the mounted police? What did they expect, a bunch of soccer hooligans to throw Molotov cocktails and run riot all over the place? (Once again...sarcasm.) Still, the horses? Really? And yes, I'll back that up on the 8-10 mounted units. What were they expecting?

Maybe they were just sending a warning not to do it at Ohio State. (And yes, more heavy sarcasm. I'm in that kind of mood tonight.)

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Bold part continues below.)

At a OSU game within the past few years, someone was walking around with an open container. The cop just made the guy pour it out. The line was something like "pour it out now unless you want to go downtown." A bit harsh, but the point was made.

You'll see everyone and their brother walk around the stadium/tailgate areas with a sealed case of beer (usually crappy "beer" FWIW,) but of course, the cops can't do anything if it's sealed. Yet, you still have to pour your drink into a red cup in the back of the vehicle. The smart tailgates have various banners that are strategically placed for such purposes. The enforcement is still there, but I don't think it's as strict as it was...or maybe they're just super-strict in certain areas?

I did hear a story where someone got busted for being U-21 at a party where alcohol was served. They didn't have any in the cup, but just being there and walking off the property with a cup was enough. (I think that's the story...it was several years ago..but the moral was that if there was ice in the cup with the soft drink, nothing would have happened.)

So wait. If I'm U-21 and pay a tab that includes alcohol, but don't drink it, that's a no-no, but if a U-21's parents buy a drink and the kid just "happens" to drink it, that's all ok?

No one ever said this makes sense.