USMNT Player Pool for the 2022 Cycle

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    List Dempsey in any capacity and I will find you and beat you inside your own house. With your kids and wife watching.

Jay510, TheFalseNine and LouisZ repped this.
  2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, dude. :D

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think to be Tier A you either have played or is a given conclusion they are going to play in the immediate future. You have a couple that I just don't think they are in the radar at the moment. I can see JG or Mckennie will be called soon but Marky Delgado?

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. tdbostic11

tdbostic11 Member

Aug 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Any lineup with out Jonathan Gonzalez in the 11 right now is absurd. Everyone talks about Sargeant, Carleton, Weah, etc have not watched JGo literally boss games. Put him and Mckinnie in front of back line. Both ball hawks and when they actually get the ball they can actually pass ball forward. End rant.

Zinkoff, LouisZ, STR1 and 3 others repped this.
  5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only can they pass but they can do it quickly, that is something that we didn't see with the Geritol players.

6. LamarHunting

LamarHunting Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you compare the age at which our USMNT players started playing regular minutes at senior level for a club to those of Mexico or Belgium (the 2 random countries I picked) a couple of trends stand out.

Almost everyone for Belgium was playing first team minutes at or before they turned 20. American defenders rarely play first team minutes if they go to college before they turn 21. Among the American defenders to play meaningful 1st team club minutes at or before turning 20 were Beasley, Miazga, Brooks, Cherundulo, and CCV.

I don't know the technical reason, but the players who put themselves in a situation where they are playing 1st team club minutes before they turn 20 tend to be higher performers on both the club and national team level. This may seem obvious, but I think that this should be one part of the focus on development going forward.

Ghost repped this.
  7. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering if it's possible to duplicate this spread sheet, and then allow access for me to change the new duped version... it would be really helpful when I start my version of the player pool to use this spread sheet to get started. I understand if it isn't possible, but I thought I would ask anyway.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you have think of Fafa Picault. The kid is as fast as Yedlin and plays LW for Phili which a position of need for us. He just had a brace and an assist but what impressed me the most was his flat-out speed and quickness. He is not very big at only 5'8 and he is 26 y.o.

10. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Hey guys, quick question. Is there a maximum amount of players, per FIFA regulations, that we can call in for those November friendlies? Thanks!

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    OK, so take the seven or eight who deserve to stick around:

Pulisic, Yedlin, Wood, Brooks, Acosta, Arriola, Morris, plus Lletget.

Add the two teen starters in higher leagues who fell the cracks:

McKennnie, JGonzo.

Add the best prospects from the last two U20 teams:

Palmer-Brown, Sargent, Miazga, Adams, CCV, Glad, Klinsmann, Lennon, Steffen, maybe Zelalem.

Add the best of the 17s:
    Carleton, Weah, Durkin, Dest

Add a few 15s:
    Pynadath, Busio

Add guys who are near the top of their academies/just breaking in:
    Taitague, Wright, de la Fuente, Ferreira, Scott, Scott, Moore, Olosunde, Siebecheu, Gaines, Young, Robinson.

Add the best dual nat guys:
    Toljan, Tillman, Shashoua, Austin, Malone

Add Hamid, Horvath, Chandler, Williams, Saief, maybe Green.

That's 49. Pick your 50th and that's your pool.

Shen-O and TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 LouisZ, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    If you can get Siebecheu to commit then you should run for president. Once we missed the WC we lost all bargaining chips for a player to switch, specially one of Jordi's caliber.

13. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I posted this in another thread....

A thing I think that will help accelerate youth talent in MLS and for the USMNT is creating a rule for all MLS teams to play with U20 players for a couple thousand minutes per season. Fail to do so will get penalized with points. Similar to what Liga MX had with their rule of 20/11.

There are 34 games in the season which accumulates to a total of 3060 minutes per one player, assuming he plays every game for 90 minutes. If a rule can be established that each team must play with U20 player/s for a total of 4000 minutes per season it will force all the teams to play with minimum 2 U20 players to meet quota. The more you use the faster you get to those minutes.

It will also force the clubs to work with their academies to get the best possible players to play in the league and be productive instead of using any U20 player just to meet quota

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just playing as a team for a longer time is one part of the equation, the most important issue in my eyes is the coaching or lack of.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After tonite's game, Atlanta vs Crew, I like Steffen over Guzan.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not the only one.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not like he’s going to be beating out Lemar and Mbappe and the stable of stallions that France has up top.

It’s ridiculous how good France is right now.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    These two would not be among my first picks from that group. Frankly, I don't know why we are skipping the U-16's here.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't think he has a prayer against Lemar or Mbappe but if you put him as a winger, then his chances get much better.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He has no chance at any position right now. France has players at every position with much higher pedigree than him. Maybe if he plays next season in Ligue One and is one of the league's top scorers, he has a chance, but he's probably not on anything more than the youth radars for France yet.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watching Tyler Adams vs Toronto. I like the kid but he is not an RB or even an RW. I think his future is closer to the center of midfield

TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's true at all. Quite the opposite in fact. Because we lost the chance to play in the WC the team will be skewing younger, moving a lot of the old guard out freeing spots for up and coming talent now, not next year after the WC or in a few years when they start qualifying again.

Yes, if Siebecheu was choosing to be a first teamer between the US and a first teamer with France then us not making the WC is bad but he's not going to this WC with either team whether we made it or not.

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and there is the rub, there is no gurantee we are going ALL young we hope but who knows what the new coach would do.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Watch him play CM, and you might think he's a RB. He didn't have his best game, I still think he's a wingback.

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he didn't play well last night, I would rate his game as a 'C'. I suppose his position still up in the air, excellent athlete for sure.

ussoccer97531 repped this.