USMNT attendance decline

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by STR1, Dec 26, 2019.

1. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    https://worldsoccertalk.com/2019/12/24/usmnt-attendances-decline-fourth-year-row-worst-since-2006/

Besides the rise in price of tickets, the product on the field isn't worth it.

sXeWesley, IASocFan, TrueCrew and 5 others repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i live in memphis, and i remember driving to nashville with 8-12 friends for the first couple of friendlies played there. i went for at least 3 sr friendlies and 2 matches when olympic qualifying was there. but as (the lowest) prices crept past $80+ it got cost prohibitive.

i havent been to a match in years now. i, and the friends i drug along (some fans, some not) were absolutely priced out of us soccer matches. would i pay more to see us play jamaica in a gold cup semi, for example? of course i would. is a hundred dollars for a friendly, in addition to a few hours of driving, more managable now that im 40 and not just out of college? of course it is.

but saying us soccer hasnt priced a LOT of fans out of the game is absolutely untrue.

and thats before factoring in the quality.

IASocFan, TrueCrew, Namdynamo and 6 others repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

Just sayin... if you haven’t been to a game in years then probably need to trust me. It’s not about the ticket prices which the last several games have been face value in the $20 range. It’s the shitty product on the field.

5. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would pay to see Zardes, Ream, Trapp, Lovitz play and the GB project? I wouldn’t go even if the tickets were free Pulisic playing or not. It is really bad when you know your team has already lost the group stage of the World Cup and qualifying for it hasn’t even started. That is how bad the selection of players is. We have many players to be excited about, but when your current coach picks crap after crap then you already know the ending of the movie.

Girt and Master O repped this.
  7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also really bad when you know your team is not going to make the World Cup at all given its current form.

8. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am sure we will make the WC but that is about it. That is as much as we can aspire to and that will be seen as an accomplishment.

9. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the sad part about it is that we will make the WC no matter what because our competition is crap. Look at OU tonight, they play in a shitty conference and couldn’t even give LSU a game, forget about beating them at least give them a game the first quarter. You play against crap, when it really matters, you get destroyed.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have lost so much interest in the team at this point that I don't even know for sure how qualifying works anymore. I think we will still have the hex, and if that's the case, I don't think we'll make it to the WC finals "no matter what." I think there is enough talent in the other top 5 teams in the region to make it difficult if our current form is anything to go on.

The problem I have with live professional sports nowadays is that the cost per ticket rarely has anything to do with the product on the field. I live in Atlanta and the Falcons were one of the worst teams in the league this year, but it still cost an arm and a leg to go see them play, which we didn't. Based on the quality of the US team, we should be able to see them for what it would cost to see a second or third division team in England. It should never cost $80/ticket for this team.

Namdynamo and Borrachin repped this.
  11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of college football, and given that the context of this thread is about declining attendance... this year's bowl game attendances have been down across the country. Not only has the USMNT lost excitement from its fanbase by not qualifying for the previous WC and then not doing much to restore hope, but US Soccer has to contend with a climate in which sports attendance is decreasing in many other contexts at this time.

Borrachin repped this.
  12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thinking about going to the Costa Rica friendly. It would cost me a minimum of $100 for myself and my three sons. Not terrible... but not great either... I would like to be sitting away from Costa Rica fans as I want the feeling of comradery. I assume we will be out-numbered :-(

13. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very much the fact. Butts in the seats are down. The difference for the NFL is that TV ratings and cash from pay per view streaming is up. The butts are on the sofa.

Not sure anyone extra is tuning into Berhalter ball and most who do don't last much past halftime. Ratings can't be good.

Borrachin repped this.
  14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long time fan here. Like many others here, I've been losing interest in the team, especially since the Couva debacle. This is probably the lowest point of the national team since the 1980s. What can be done to turn things around?

Namdynamo and jnielsen repped this.
  15. trafficjam304

trafficjam304 Member

May 28, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my experience Costa Rica has the fewest fans in the US of any Central American team. I wouldn't worry about it too much

16. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Start winning against legit competition could be a start. Maybe even participate in Copa America and do well there too but USSF doesn't plan on participating there any time soon.

17. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    It's beyond pricing people out. I do think people underestimate how much some of the high ticket prices can keep people away, especially on an internet message board dedicated to soccer where I think I am safe to say the typical poster's socioeconomic status is above average. Our definitions of cheap vs many many others are skewed and especially in the types of communities where us soccer lacks fans and needs to attract more people. But, I agree it has more to do with product on the field. Ticket prices were just as high comparatively in days when the US would pack 'em in. This drop coincided with the team shitting the bed, ticket prices have been an issue for much longer.

18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The organizers are making a profit from these games one way or the other, either from TV revenue, sponsor revenue or negotiations that keep their overhead really low, or some other avenue to allow for lack of ticket sales from impacting their bottom line. There can really be no other reason for why the organizers continue to price tickets the way that they do. The prices are just so incongruous to the demand and the product on the field. There has to be something that we're not seeing economically that allows them to not lower ticket prices. Regardless, the last live game I went to was a long time ago. I don't see that changing until 2026.