USL General Expansion Discussion --- 2015 Fortune and Glory Version

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by sawillis, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering where you are getting this from? Only way Scorpions are not used is if the sale does not go through. And the Spurs push a team through as brand new, but then your talking about a lo5 more legwork that is done.

My question is more could NASL stop the sell to the Spurs? Since most new owners go through an approval process. That would be the concern for me, the NASL will try to put up a fight to keep the Scorpions for sure.

2. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I have read that USL franchises that want to leave USL are not allowed to use their name nor logos during 3 seasons. I imagine that NASL contracts say the same.

Now, the Spurs organisation can always move the franchise from NASL to USL and name the the SA Soccer Spurs

3. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming that must have come about after the TOA-USL split and USSF D2 fiasco?

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    NASL and USL do not want to lose their franchises to ''rival leagues''

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    #655 brentgoulet, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    When the Rhinos flirted with the NASL in 2009, their contract with USL was probably a lot different (because there was no rival league). Since then USL has moved on

The USL agreements are apparently three-year agreements that expire immediately following the final game of the third season of competition, and you have to give six months notice of intent to renew (among other things). And there's apparently a two-year wait before you can have any interest in or operate a rival league team at the same location, within the territory or within a 10 mile radius of the territory.

Sporting Real repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    [​IMG]

I don't know if Uncle Joe actually said this but this thread is a good place for the quote. :)

7. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. So if a team wanted to, they could actually operate two teams in the same city? Very interesting. I wonder if that includes PDL teams?

9. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. H.U.S.T.L.E.

H.U.S.T.L.E. Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Wow, that's a very nice crest.

Philly is hitting home runs this week - first hiring Earnie Stewart, now the announcement of Bethlehem Steel FC.

11. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to say, the Union really nailed this logo. At first I thought, it's okay, then I really looked at it, I now I think it might be the third best logo in the USL outside of Sacramento and Swope Park. They also just gave a bunch of teams a free masterclass in how to do the FC/SC, year of establishment, and soccer ball together on a crest

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I see that Seacoast United Phantoms has teams both in PDL and NPSL, my best guess is that non pro franchises have different contracts

Seacoast United Phantoms - Seacoast United

The Seacoast United Phantoms men's squads will play in two leagues in 2014. ...League (PDL) as well as the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL).

13. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That crest is slick as heck. I thoroughly approve

14. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now all were waiting for as far as 2016 is the crest reveal for RGVFC and some sort of announcement regarding the future of the City Islanders and.for 2017 Reno to reveal it all. I wonder who else will join the league in 2017

15. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the Steel FC logo. Only gripe is using two different fonts. One with serifs and one without. Pick one and stick to it.

16. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't think this is accurate.

Orlando City kept its name
    Minnesota United will supposedly keep its name

17. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #667 USRufnex, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Off the top of my head, I'd venture to say the current USL non-compete clause would cover three seasons, both moving to and using the team name in a competing league. (but USL considering MLS to be a competing league these days sounds doubtful to me). Not sure if the NASL would have something similar which would make it interesting if/when San Antonio is sold, whether that group could legally use the Scorpions name if the new owners decided to make a move to the USL.

brentgoulet repped this.
  18. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    If the MLS is not considered a competing league I'm not sure how NASL would be considered a competing league? How is competing defined? There would either need to be a specific clause in there making MLS exempt or it really isn't applicable as they would be applying it arbitrarily in which case allowing Orlando City to move to MLS voids that clause for everyone.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the history of our discussions, this might be a new low for down the rabbit hole discussions on this website.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    In my humble opinion there is MAYOR LEAGUE PRO SOCCER (MLS) and MINOR LEAGUE PRO SOCCER (NASL and USL). So the NASL and USL could be considered ''rival leagues''

21. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    In the case of Orlando, if USL claim they are the shortest road to MLS, they should not be complicating things for franchises that go MLS, plus Orlando put a new USL team in Louisville, plus USL and MLS are pretty good friends these days

Minnesota is a different case, the NASL wants the Loons to be in NASL for the 2016 (and maybe 2017) seasons, so they are not looking for problems

USRufnex repped this.
  22. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does it mean to be "major league" in a world sport where the best players play in England, Spain, Italy and Germany and wouldn't come to the USA in their prime? The concept that MLS is major league isn't really the same as with the NFL, MLB or NBA where these are clearly the top leagues in their sports worldwide where the best players play.

23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the top league in US/Canada.

brentgoulet repped this.
  24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+