USL Expansion General discussion

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by mikehurst21, Jan 4, 2016.

1. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    mikehurst21 and Blando13 repped this.
  3. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    #103 FootySkeptic, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    My takeaways from the article are that the NASL group has much less of a chance as Nissan is too big, the baseball stadium is not ideal, and the NASL investors apparently have other cities in consideration. The USL group seems to be rushing to get in out of desperation; they want to set up a temporary stadium, they gave conditions to the city that they need the temporary stadium to start before they build their own at an undisclosed location, and the asked the city to defer its plans on its own stadium.

All that said, the USL is probably more likely to snap up this market as Lynch already told them: "he would recommend approval to the parks board if the group and USL intend to move forward."

4. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Where did you get that idea?

"Whitney, who is the chairman of the Nashville FC board, did not respond to multiple attempts for comment. In an email, Doyle declined to comment."

Edit: I found the link to the NPSL side and the USL.

5. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See above, the USL group is tied to Nashville FC (one of the mentioned USL owners is a NFC board member).

I find it interesting that Reno can use a minor league baseball stadium, but USL doesn't want to go that direction for Nashville. NASL is ok in a high school football field, but wants a AAA or NFL stadium in Nashville. Maybe it's owners preference, but it's all very odd and confusing as to what league demands what from a stadium. Probably don't demand anything, just fluid as to what gets them in first and what's best initially.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  6. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Metro Parks Director Tommy Lynch identified Marcus Whitney, founder of the startup tech company Jumpstart Foundry, and Ryan Doyle, general manager of oneC1TY, a new technology office hub off Charlotte Avenue, as individuals who came to parks officials to discuss that possibility."

Probably this item?!

7. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This blurb was pretty interesting, buried at the bottom of the article:

"Greer Stadium, Nashville’s former minor league baseball stadium, has been floated as a possibility for professional soccer. In 2014, the owner of the Harrisburg City Islanders, a USL team from Harrisburg, Pa., met with Metro officials to gauge the city’s interest in converting Greer to a soccer stadium. Talks never advanced, and that organization is no longer interested in relocating."

Looks like Harrisburg is staying put. Well, staying in Pennsylvania at least

8. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not moving to Nashville at least ... needed to add that!

9. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Feels like it if he is checking on the USL stadium proposal at Ted Rhodes. It looks like USL is NFCs chosen league.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, right now, USL may be all that the NFC group can afford without bringing in other investors ... with regards to stadium options (temporary at Ted Rhodes could look anything like Charlotte (not ideal) to Sacramento (should work)). Based on USL's goals, ownership net worth likely is fine for either league (they're not adding someone that keeps them from pursuing D2 status), but I don't know about travel budget, player budget, etc.

USL could be putting together plans to have a 3 or 4 conference set up which would allow a central division of Louisville, Cinci, Detroit (potentially), St. Louis FC, Swope Park, OKC, Tulsa, 3-4 Texas teams make travel pretty manageable to some teams in the Midwest.

11. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    I think in a location like Nashville...USL would be the top choice due to fairly easy road games to get to in Lville, St Louis, Cincy and potentially Birmingham.

12. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your right and according to their website he is the chairman

http://nashvillefc.net/board-members/

13. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Greer been torn down? Would it have good bones to convert to soccer stadium? Is it in good location? Good condition (well good enough)? Seems like someone would pursue this before building something from scratch.

14. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    It's a dump

15. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the land that it sits on has been sold and the structure itself is scheduled for demolition but I could be wrong

16. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is better than what you have now...Nothing or talk of a temporary structure in a park?

17. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    A temporary structure in the park would be better. At least then you can set it up the way you want. We are talking 5k seats...that can come together quickly.

18. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    The article also talks about the USL requiring a soccer specific stadium towards the end and mentions the NASL has no such requirement... Seems odd considering the Reno example you mentioned as well as Nippert probably other locations too.

Blando13 repped this.
  19. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes the reporting/writing doesn't do a ton of research either ... so you never know ... and the leagues requirements are different for different markets, sometimes "wishful thinking" and others "get what you can get". Either way, exciting news I think for one of these leagues.

20. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do seem to recall that USL is now requiring SSS as part of their push for D2 sanctioning.

21. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    #121 FootySkeptic, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    I think that was first mentioned from the HOK deal by 2020 or something relating to that. It's just a little odd to see that sort of language when several teams are not meeting these requirements. I'd expect to see more shovels in the ground, but some groups don't seem to be too concerned.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a franchise model like the USL, doesn't the corporation strip you of your license rights and ownership if you fail to uphold your contract with them?

22. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    I don't think that is entirely correct. They are at least pushing a stadium plan for new teams.

ETA: They are working toward what MLS has done in stadium plans...so market to market will depend on revenue control on game days.

23. CLTFC

CLTFC Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    From an insider with the Charlotte Eagles. The USL is requiring at least a plan for a SSS and the team has to be valued at X amount of dollars. This was the reason the Charlotte Eagles stepped down. They could't keep up with the demands of the USL, so they dropped to D4. This is also why the Charlotte Independence are hustling to get a SSS approved and work officially started.

Sporting Real and FootySkeptic repped this.
  24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think "SSS" can be defined a number of different ways though. If Charlotte renovates Memorial for the main purpose to host soccer games, I think USL will allow that to "qualify". I think there are a number of ways teams will go about it that will be "acceptable". Sacramento's "temporary" stadium may qualify that they're playing in now, I don't know. Obviously Charleston, Rochester, SAS are fine ... Cinci may be as well?

What I'm saying is ... "SSS" may be open to interpretation.

25. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Or as he says merely a plan for an SSS will do.

Blando13 repped this.