USL Expansion General discussion

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by mikehurst21, Jan 4, 2016.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFC is PRing like a boss:

But obviously not happy:
    I agree. I love what NFC is doing but it's not on anyone to give props to an existing club no matter how great or vocal their intentions. This is a free market society, including our pro soccer. If NFC wants to go pro, then do it. If your aren't ready and some is, that's life.

sawillis and Blando13 repped this.
  2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There is no cap at this point. Why would there be? Teams aren't sharing any revenue or dividing their potential audiences, those are almost completely local.

The USL can just keep adding teams and dividing into more conferences until they run out of markets that want teams.

What do you think would be more than the league could handle? What problem would be caused by 40 or 50 teams?

xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I did ask him about the Harrisburg relocation deal. Their main issue was that no one from Harrisburg even did the homework to see what was already but went straight to the city, who also ignored them, and began to trumpet the news. I don't know anything about these new rumors.

5. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    That should let NFC know that it is in their best interests to be proactive in trying to latch on to an incoming team.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine a owner of pro minor league baseball teams and someone who wants to build a stadium would bring a regional pseudo-Div4 club. Surely their thinking USL or NASL.

Besides maybe the bohemians, is there any pro baseball club who has a amateur soccer team in their stadium?

8. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I disagree SP. I think the PLA is a great fit, its local, has minimal costs to gauge interest and explore the market. USL or NASL might be too expensive to start out from the gate. Has Green Bay ever fielded a PDL or NPSL side even?

9. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree with what? I simply said that it's fairly uncommon for a baseball team and stadium to invest in a amateur soccer team. But they may very well go that route and that may be the better decision.

11. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    @SoccerPrime I just disagreed with the assessment that surely they'd look at USL or NASL. I feel for the situation and market size, they'd be more likely to look at the PLA, PDL, or NPSL firstly.

The investment seems to be primarily for baseball, as the Bullfrogs are part of the proposal, the multi-use of it does mention "minor league soccer team" and concerts. If the baseball is the focus at 2,500 permanent seats (up to 4k) and 8k for a concert then I can't see USL or NASL being a part of that picture.

12. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Tobias C repped this.
  14. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually hope everyone doesn't do it the same way, no matter what way that is. I like LA Galaxy keeping their 2nd team close to their first team ... SKC is doing the same thing but playing the games in a different part of the city, and with their season ticket base (they have a waiting list) it provides people that don't see SKC games a chance to see SPR games. If they can get a decent turnout for those games, I hope they keep it in KC. For LA ... they could care less ... having the "2" team training next to the Galaxy is the best way for them to properly develop, so I hope they keep that no matter the attendance.

If others don't find the development close to the 1st team as important, and marketing their brand to a satellite location, by all means ... I just hope teams get to do what they feel is right for them. No reason to pigeon hole them into anything. If some like the affiliate style then keep it!

15. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to feel this way too. Having been to the Bethlehem Steel opener, I am not so sure anymore. The Union satellite team aspect was in your face, it did not like an authentic local team. The AAA IronPigs do a better job of feeling like their own experience irrespective of the affiliation with the Phillies. I may warm to it in time I guess. Will be interesting to see if the crowd holds up as the Union fans who drove in lose interest and it's left to locals. I saw several people I knew so there were plenty of locals there too.

16. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    xpost from cleveland subforum

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interview with FC Tucson's management contained some idle USL/NASL expansion chatter.

That's why the USL will continue to expand. Reduced travel costs beget expansion interest beget further reduced travel costs...

Blando13 and oneeyedfool repped this.
  18. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a common theme among the lower league teams if you read the other interviews in that series. USL's regional format makes the leap to the pros easier to digest for lower league teams, where NASL would require larger investment. And if someone's going to make that large investment, it may not make sense to them to partner with a lower league team.

19. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delving slightly off topic but still on expansion, does anybody know how large a USL franchise territory is?

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It probably depends on the franchise agreement for each team. There can't be a standard mileage number or anything like that. The U.S. is too different regionally.

I'd guess that new teams claim a territory while presenting some sort of rationale for including various areas. Media markets are probably a big factor. The league then evaluates that claim and decides what they will allow. Really big markets like NY and LA usually have an allowance for multiple teams built in.

ajbirch07 repped this.
  21. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Within a 5 hour drive of the MLS team that owns it.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if, like half the league, no MLS owns any part of them?

PS perhaps message boards and your sarcasm isn't having the desired effect.

23. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013

USL maybe?

24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kokomo PDL?

Dayton Dutch Lions have worked with Dayton Dragons in playing there, doing some cross-promotional stuff. Tulsa Athletics play in the former Tulsa Drillers stadium, that is set to be torn down after this season. There were tons of rumors floating around (nothing happened from them) that FC Wichita were going to play in the Wichita Wingnuts stadium

Not many, which is your point. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to be amateur-driven when the baseball team is professionally-driven. It could be a nice place to start though. Definitely have facilities around that NPSL/PDL teams, or even USL teams can continue to partner up with existing ownership groups. That's what needs to continue happening to see lower-level soccer growth.

FootySkeptic repped this.