Pre-match: USA vs. Venezuela - June 9, 2019

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I’m looking bloody prophetic

2. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Wow. The US is terrible. It's not just the coach, but the players are mediocre. Will Trap, Aaron Long, Roldan, Arriola, Zardes, all of them poor. The only two that really belong in a US shirt on the pitch are Mckennie and Miazga. Outside of that, the rest don't belong.

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should stop questioning nightmare scenarios.... With the USMNT the last few years has been an ever deepening spiral of nightmares....:speechless:

Guinho repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Boyd has been a nice surprise. Any danger we have created has been from his crosses. .... But, yeah, this is a day where the team is being shown up.

laxcoach repped this.
  5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Stu keeps talking about excuses. There are no excuses needed. Most of these guys are middling mls guys for a reason

Gacm32 repped this.
  6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was fun!

So who is playing themselves off the roster right now?

7. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This Manager has lost the plot. What aggression? What desire to get forward? The play is slow, the movement off the ball is minimal, and there is no cutting edge.

Winoman and SetPeace repped this.
  8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Resting an old fart to milk them through the Gold Cup should be a hint at something. In season. I get Pulisic being rested.

TOAzer repped this.
  9. KHenry14

KHenry14 Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you thought the last game was bad.....<sigh>

Winoman, Gacm32 and TOAzer repped this.
  10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I have an idea, let’s create an offense to feed Zardes. Let’s put a bunch of defensive mids who can barely complete passes — and don’t stop well — out as the midfield. Wings who can’t find anyone. And then a bunch of passers in the back.

I thought the sideline reporter’s question actually pulled the punch. “Sir, what is this sh*t?” Is more like it.

In an accountable world the coach would be gone tonight so the repair work can begin before the tournament, which isn’t for a week. Selection is crap. Lineup is crap. Formation is crap. Team looks listless, which to me hints at something.

I laugh at the people who thought this was an improvement from Arena. If you think Arena with his CV wasn’t hacking it, the quality has to go up, not drop down to any old idiot from mid table MLS.

Winoman repped this.
  11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Boyd’s passes are the same foot or two behind the player as Amon without the foot speed.

Gacm32 repped this.
  12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much why we're seeing soft defense giving up a few yards of space to the ball and zero quality in the final 3rd.

13. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty damn sad you can't be a step up from Arena but you're right. You might be a bit premature on firing though. Give him the GC and then....

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Any thoughts on that gold cup commercial?

15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    We're trying to press with slow unathletic players. Roldan, Trapp, Ream, Boyd can't run or win any balls.

Winoman repped this.
  16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Curious your thoughts on Long. If I remember correctly, you had his name in ink next to ???.

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    This needs to be a 442 team of the players who can actually defend. There is an arrogance to responding to Couva and last year by going 343 or 433 like we are defensively functional. The snobs need to wake up to the basic problem that we can’t get people out there defending well enough to stop second or third rate teams.

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Berhalter stick to pancakes

skim172 repped this.
  19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    When did Roldan become a forward. Wow he's been bad.

20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is both easy and hard to answer. Easy, because many we question are showing themselves to be deservedly questionable. Hard, because what GB thinks of their play is something that can be at dramatic odds with what we're seeing.

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The problem isnt the formation. It is crap MLS players!

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Not defending what I am watching because he ain’t. We have a very big problem of guys out there who can’t play defense plus a formation that only exposes them.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Us snobs warned you based on his past performances.

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    No, you have 3 poor defenders back who get repeatedly tooled up. Playing that formation requires the quality players to handle it. The two connect up. Teams with lousy defenses usually bunker or play 4 or 5 backs like they acknowledge their issues. We are going the other way, exposing the backs, and not the offense to offset what is allowed.

The snobs want to make this slick. This team is not defensively functional to open games up and tip the formation forward.

Some of this is selection. Some may be if this is what you have to work with you need to baby the players with formation.

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You are naive. You think a team playing bad can just switch on and play well.