Pre-match: USA vs Venezuela; June 3rd in Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    That's about what I'd expect as far as level of opponent at that time. Would be nice to get a friendly on another continent but oh well.

3. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    with Venezuela's meltdown this will probably be a replay of Cuba games where half of the time disappears before the flight home.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game is in 2 and a half weeks. Should probably see a squad sometime next weekend no? Maybe next Sunday after the MLS games?

ATLfirefan repped this.
  5. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico released theirs, so I expect us to release ours soon. Most likely on an MLS preview show.

Sebsasour repped this.
  6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The matches are in 3 weeks so you will see a roster a week or so before that date. Your Mexico squad release was for the last round March 28th matches.

7. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is 10 days away... shouldn't we be seeing a roster real soon?

ATLfirefan repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #9 Excellency, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    My guess for the roster release is always the same when MLS is in season...sometime during one of the nationally broadcast games the weekend before whatever game(s) the USMNT is playing.

It's frustratingly late for the hardcore fans, but is probably a good idea from the point of view of hyping things for the more causal fans. It also allows the latest injuries from that round of games to be factored in.

11. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad at all, although I'm sure there will be quibblers :rolleyes:

13. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself putting all those caps and goals with Pulisic...

Sebsasour repped this.
  14. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So, is this friendly on the tube?

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I miss the late 00's. We had a bunch of quality European based guys.

16. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FoxSports 1

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bruce says he expects a lot of changes between Tand T and Mexico games so I would think he would arrange with Venezuela to have plenty of subs. I believe they can have unlimited subs if they want?

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    With unlimited subs I would go:

First half:

--------------Altidore---Dempsey

----Nagbe--Bradley----Dax--Arriola

Vfana-------Ream-------Gonzo------Yedlin

2nd half

-------------------------Wood---morris

-----------Zusi----Acosta-------Bedoya---pulisic

---------fab------brooks----Cameron-----Yedlin

19. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    #19 edcrocker, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    I. Central Midfield

I’ll list my top four choices for how I’d like Bruce Arena to align the central midfield to start the friendly against Venezuela on Saturday night in Utah. I’ll also argue why I think the four options should be ranked in the order I have them. I’ve ranked my four choices from last to first.

4. Bradley and Bedoya

--------------------------------------Howard--------------------------------------

X----------------------------X-------------------------X--------------------------X

-----------------------------Bradley---------------Bedoya--------------------------

Pulisic----------------------------------------------------------------------------Nagbe

-------------------------------Dempsey-----------Altidore-----------------------------

For the starting line-up against Venezuela on Saturday, my fourth choice is to pair Michael Bradley with Alejandro Bedoya and have them play at a comparable depth. Bedoya has good international experience (59 caps), he often played central midfield in Ligue 1 for Nantes, he has played a decent amount of central midfield for the U.S. National Team (which I’ll discuss below), and he has been playing well this season for the Philadelphia Union at right central midfield in a 4-2-3-1. Here is a link to the Union’s starting line-up for their last match (May 27 against Real Salt Lake):

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2017-05-27-real-salt-lake-vs-philadelphia-union/lineup

However, when Bedoya has played central midfield for the National Team, he has, overall, been undistinguished. There are seven games in which I’m confident he played central midfield for the U.S. Although he may have played central midfield for the U.S. in a couple other matches, I’m not confidant that he has. So, I’ll only mention those seven matches. Here they are:

i. 3/9/14 Friendly vs. Czech Republic in Prague. The U.S. won 1-0. For 90 minutes, Bedoya played as one of the three central midfielders in a modern 4-3-3. Here is a link to the starting line-up:

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/201...ch-republic/united-states-of-america/1665133/

I remember Bedoya playing solidly in the match, and he scored the match’s only goal. Here are the highlights:

The goal sequence starts at minute 1:40.

For his performance, Soccer America’s Mike Woitalla gave Bedoya a 7.0.

However, I don’t remember in detail how well Bedoya played in the match.

ii. 10/10/14 Friendly vs. Ecuador in Hartford, Connecticut for Landon Donovan’s send-off match. The U.S. drew 1-1. Here is a link to the starting line-up:

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/201...ies/united-states-of-america/ecuador/1780071/

Bedoya started in central midfield in a 4-4-2. I don’t have a good memory of how well he played. However, I do remember that he had a good opportunity that he skied way over the bar. Soccer America’s Mike Woitalla gave Bedoya a 6.0 for the match.

iii. 3/25/15 Friendly vs. Denmark in Aarhus, Denmark. The U.S. lost 3-2. Here is the line-up:

http://www.football-lineups.com/match/200687/

Bedoya started next to Bradley in a central midfield in a 4-4-2. He played the first half. I remember Bedoya being mediocre in the match. Woitalla gave Bedoya a 4.0.

iv. 9/4/15 Friendly vs. Peru at RFK Stadium. The U.S. won 2-1. Bedoya started at central midfield in a 4-4-2 alongside Jermaine Jones. Bedoya played the first half. Here is a link to the line-up:

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/2015/09/05/world/friendlies/united-states-of-america/peru/2108439/

Bedoya was decent in the match. His defense was good. But I don’t remember him adding much to the attack. Soccer America’s Ridge Mahoney gave Bedoya a 4.0 for the match.

v. 9/8/15 Friendly vs. Brazil in Foxboro, Massachusetts. The U.S. lost 4-1. Bedoya started at left defensive-midfield in a 4-2-3-1. Here is the line-up:

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/2015/09/09/world/friendlies/united-states-of-america/brazil/2114527/

Bedoya struggled. For instance, on Brazil’s first goal, he was beaten by Willian, who then shot the ball off the post. Hulk recovered the ball and scored. Here are the highlights of the match:

The sequence involving Bedoya getting beaten by Willian starts at minute :27.

Klinsmann took Bedoya out before half. Ridge Mahoney gave Bedoya a 2.0 for the match. Here:

I’m not sure that Bedoya played as badly as Mahoney thought he did. Bedoya was partly responsible for only one Brazil goal. Brazil scored all their other goals in the second half. But my impressions of Bedoya’s performance are not favorable.

vi. 6/3/16 Copa America Centenario vs. Colombia at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California. The U.S. lost 2-0. Bedoya played central midfield (ahead, and in front of, Bradley) in a modern 4-3-3. Here is the line-up:

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/201...ca/united-states-of-america/colombia/2178753/

I don’t remember Bedoya doing much. Mahoney gave him a 3.0.

vii. 6/7/16 Copa America Centenario vs. Costa Rica at Soldier Field in Chicago. The U.S. won 4-0. Bedoya played central midfield in a modern 4-3-3 until the 37th minute, after which the U.S. switched formations to a 4-4-2 and Bedoya moved to left midfield. Here is a link to the starting line-up:

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/201.../united-states-of-america/costa-rica/2178755/

Bedoya played well in the match, particularly while the U.S. was playing a 4-3-3. Although he wasn’t involved that much in the U.S.’s possession of the ball, his passing and positioning were very good. Mahoney gave Bedoya a 6.0.

I would give Bedoya a 7.0 for the time he played central midfield in the match.

Conclusion: As you can see, Bedoya’s overall play at central midfield has been less than stellar. While playing the position, he has had some good games (for instance, against the Czech Republic and Costa Rica in the Copa America Centenario), but more often than not he has been below average. So, for the U.S.’s important World Cup qualifier against Trinidad and Tobago on June 8, I would be uneasy starting him in central midfield. And I would want to start a line-up in the friendly against Venezuela that is similar to the one that I would plan to start against Trinidad and Tobago. So, I would not start Bedoya at central midfield against Venezuela.

Finally, a question: if, in the friendly against Venezuela, Bradley were to start as one of the two central midfielders in a 4-4-2 and Bradley were to start at a comparable depth to the other central midfielder, would it be good to start Bradley at right central midfield and the other central midfielder at left central midfield? In the past, Bradley has tended to play better at right central midfield than at left central midfield. He seems more comfortable picking up the ball so that his preferred right can more easily direct his passes to the inside of the field. Also, when he has his back to goal with the ball at his feet, he seems more comfortable turning in a counterclockwise direction. He generally turns that way when he receives the ball with his back to goal. And when he turns counterclockwise, he is more often turning away from pressure than towards pressure.

However, in the World Cup qualifier against Panama in March, Bradley played left central midfield and Jermaine Jones played right central midfield until Jones was replaced by Kellyn Acosta, who then played right central midfield. Perhaps Bradley played less well at left central midfield than he generally has in the recent past when he has played right central midfield. Against Panama, he seemed to get the ball less and make less of a positive impact on the game. In comparison, in the U.S.’s 4-0 win against Costa Rica in the Gold Cup, the U.S. switched from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 right after Jermaine Jones’ 37th minute goal. After the switch, Bradley played right central midfield, and Jones played left central midfield. I remember Bradley playing well from that point on.

3. Bradley and Pulisic

-------------------------------------Howard--------------------------------------

X-------------------------X----------------------------------X---------------------X

------------------------------------------Bradley------------------------------------

Fabian Johnson (or Bedoya)----------------------------------------Nagbe

-------------------------------------------Pulisic--------------------------------------

---------------------------Dempsey-----------------------Altidore-----------------

For the Venezuela match, I would prefer starting the midfield in diamond with Bradley at defensive-midfield and Christian Pulisic at attacking center-mid over starting Bradley and Bedoya as the two central midfielders playing at a comparable depth. While playing in a diamond with Pulisic as the attacking center mid and Bradley as the defensive-midfielder, the U.S. played very well in the World Cup qualifier against Honduras in March. The U.S. won the match 6-0. Pulisic had 1 goal and 2 assists, and Bradley had an excellent goal. The U.S. dominated the match, and their attack was blistering.

2. Bradley and Acosta

--------------------------------------Howard--------------------------------------

X----------------------------X-------------------------X--------------------------X

-----------------------------Bradley---------------Acosta--------------------------

Pulisic----------------------------------------------------------------------------Nagbe

-------------------------------Dempsey-----------Altidore-----------------------------

Over the course of Kellyn Acosta’s career, I haven’t focused on him. His play hasn’t captured my attention as has the play of some other young U.S. players who play in MLS (for instance, Sebastian Lletget and Jordan Morris). But partly because Bruce Arena has named Acosta to all three of the rosters that Arena has chosen thus far in his second tenure as head coach of the U.S. National Team and partly because Acosta played 15 meaningful minutes in the U.S.’s important World Cup qualifier against Panama in March and helped the U.S. hang on for a draw, I’m trying to get a better understanding of Acosta’s strengths and weaknesses and of where he should fit in at this point in the U.S.’s central midfield depth chart.

I re-watched all the minutes Acosta played for the U.S. in their World Cup qualifier against Panama in March. I also watched all of his game this weekend for FC Dallas against Houston. For the match, Acosta played right central midfield in a 4-4-2.

Against Houston, Acosta played well. He passed the ball well. According to whoscored.com, he had an 83.9 percent pass completion percentage. And he had many passes that advanced the play. He also showed good ball-control and skill. And he covered a good deal of ground in midfield and was a good ball winner. Although I get uneasy when slight, young players go into tackles, Acosta’s tackling was pretty good. He’s never going to be Sergio Busquets or Richie Williams, but maybe he at least can avoid injuries when he goes into tackles and win the ball sometimes—like Angel Di Maria. He also has three goals this season in MLS, not bad for a central midfielder.

Furthermore, for the U.S.’s June 8 World Cup qualifier against Trinidad and Tobago in Denver, I would be uneasy starting a diamond midfield. I would worry that it would leave the U.S. too vulnerable in the back and in the middle third of the field. Would Michael Bradley too often be left alone without any help? Moreover, I would want to start the formation in the friendly against Venezuela on June 3 that I would plan to start against Trinidad and Tobago on June 8. In addition, I like playing Pulisic on the right. That’s often where he plays well for Dortmund. And, when playing right midfield, he assisted Clint Dempsey’s goal against Panama in the U.S.’s 1-1 draw against Panama in the March World Cup qualifier. Thus, against Venezuela, I would favor starting Acosta in central midfield over starting Pulisic at attacking center-mid in a diamond.

Finally, if I did start Acosta at central midfield against Venezuela, I would plan to bring Dax McCarty in for him in the second half. I want to get a sense for how good McCarty could be at a high international level, including the qualifiers against Trinidad and Tobago and Mexico in June.

1. Bradley and McCarty

-----------------------------Bradley---------------Acosta--------------------------

-------------------------------Dempsey-----------Altidore----------------------------

The tandem of Michael Bradley and Dax McCarty is my first choice to start in central midfield against Venezuela. Of all the options to pair with Bradley, McCarty is the best ball-winner, tackler and midfield-patroller. He also seems to be mentally strong. Dax doesn’t wilt. Moreover, of all the MLS candidates to start alongside Bradley against Venezuela, McCarty is the leader in pass-completion percentage in MLS this season, at 84.8 percent. Bedoya is second (84.3 percent). Acosta is third (75.7 percent). In addition, at 68.8 passes per game, McCarty is averaging far more passes per game than Bedoya 44.2 or Acosta 34.4. In fact, McCarty is averaging only 10 passes fewer per game less than Acosta and Bedoya combined! McCarty also has more assists in MLS this season (3) than Acosta (2) or Bedoya (1). Finally, in the U.S.’s friendly against Jamaica in February 2017, McCarty started at defensive-midfield in a 4-4-2, with a diamond midfield. He played well, including making the pass that led to Benny Feilhaber’s assist to Jordan Morris on the only goal in the match.

It is the case, however, that McCarty lacks international experience. He has only six caps, all in friendlies. In fact, Acosta, who is only 21 years old, has five caps, almost the same number as McCarty, who is 30 years old. In fact, Pulisic, who is 18 years old, has 13 caps, more than twice as many as McCarty. But maybe McCarty—like Kyle Beckerman—can be a central midfielder who is late-bloomer and in his early-30s does well for the National Team.

Nevertheless, in MLS, McCarty has gone through periods in which he has turned the ball over too much. And sometimes his desire to make a difference has caused him to get out of position. So, I don’t know whether he can be a good player for the U.S. at a high international level. Thus, if I start him against Venezuela, I would plan to play Acosta all or most of the second half to see which player does better. The one who does better I would be inclined to start in the qualifier against Trinidad and Tobago.

I also would favor the U.S. playing the diamond midfield some against Venezuela, with Pulisic at the point of the diamond. But I can’t do everything. And, for the match against Trinidad and Tobago, I have a better sense of how the diamond would work than I do how well McCarty or Acosta would play in central midfield alongside Bradley. At least we saw the diamond in action against Honduras in March. So, against Venezuela, I probably would not play the diamond midfield.

II. Another Forward?

For the World Cup qualifiers against Trinidad and Tobago and Mexico, I’m a little worried about the U.S.’s depth at forward. Jordan Morris has only two goals in MLS this season, and, overall, he hasn’t looked that dangerous. Meanwhile, Bobby Wood is having issues with his knee, and, at the end of this Bundesliga season, has been using painkillers to play, which concerns me. So, for these two qualifiers, Bruce Arena should keep Minnesota United’s Christian Ramirez in mind as someone to bring in if another forward would help the team. Ramirez has been very good in MLS this season. He is tied for third in the league in scoring with 8 goals. The only other player eligible to play for the U.S. National Team who has as many goals as Ramirez is C.J. Sapong, and Ramirez’s game is more nuanced and skillful than Sapong’s. Among other things, Ramirez is a better dribbler, and moves better laterally. For instance, in the game-winning goal that Ramirez scored against Orlando City on Saturday, consider the ball-control and elusiveness that he demonstrated when he dribbled around both the goalkeeper and last defender.

Ramirez also has good size. He is 6’ 2”, 187 lbs.

Chris Wondolowski, who has 6 goals and 5 assists in MLS this season and good international experience (35 caps), is another player Arena should consider calling up to help with forward depth for these two World Cup qualifiers, especially if Bobby Wood is physically struggling.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The Tolstoy of posters has commented:)

Arena seems keen on Acosta as the Jones replacement so should start Acosta in central midfield. McCarty appears to be Bradley's backup.

Zinkoff, RalleeMonkey and USSoccerNova repped this.
  21. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like the Karl Ove Knausgaard

Agree on Acosta- he should start because he is better than alternatives and a good complement to Bradley. Play him here and against T&T to see if he is ready for Mexico.

Fabin Johnson is the biggest question. Not if, of course, but where. He is going to displace eiother of two very good players. Hard to imagine that we have reached the point where a player as talented as Nagbe may not crack the 11...

22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones has been awesome for the USA in the past, but I really think his time is gone. It's clear that he does not fit well with Bradley in the midfield. Arena needs to choose one and drop the other.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #23 schrutebuck, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    My starting XI:

Howard; Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks, Villafana; Johnson, Bradley, Acosta, Pulisic; Dempsey, Altidore

The formation is flexible enough to be a flat 4-4-2 and also shift into a diamond to enable Pulisic to play centrally. This is my preference for the T&T match too, with the exception of Wood instead of Dempsey; Wood can play a few sub minutes in the friendly and rest that knee. My plan would be to switch between them for T&T and Mexico.

Zinkoff repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Jones and Bradley had great chemistry after the World Cup. But JJ's legs are gone now.

It's an open question as to who of Acosta, Roldan, and DWill is best. But Acosta is in the frame so should start.

25. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no point starting Howard, Bradley, Dempsey or Jozy in a totally meaningless friendly. Everyone else needs looks and time.

Having said that, they will all start and 2 of them will inexplicably go 90.