Pre-match: USA vs Portugal; November 14th, 2017

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Oct 16, 2017.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Williams starts. You forget how offense oriented this guy is. Too bad he wasn't called for the qualifiers.

USSoccerNova, CyphaPSU and laxcoach repped this.
  2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win at home, draw on the road. Screwed up on both sides of the deal. But, must have been amazing at San Siro! Depressing for Azurri fans. Their board sounds similar to ours after disqualification.

Real Corona repped this.
  3. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still too soon to pick locks for the next cycle other than Yedlin and CP IMO. We just have to practice patience. McKennie will get there, Miazga too. If Williams was 3 years younger I'd lean his direction too based on what little I've seen of him.

Other than that, that lineup above is full of meh.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Matt Miazga's playing in the Dutch league. Good place to learn but... why the hype? Or rather, haven't we learned a thing or two about hype earned there?

I can think of a few players on the shit list right now who had their glory days in the Eredivisie.

Hup Hyyppe! Or something.

5. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every player is unique. Miazga looks good to my eye when I watch him. I don't rate his league at all, I'm not knowledgeable of that league enough to make a call. He's not there yet but by 2022 he's a starter or very close to one for USMNT based on what else is out there.

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    He was injured...but really who needs him? Nothing needed to change. Michael needs to play further back. That was the only change needed this cycle. They both told us that.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Not too soon for me. Unlike most, I don't need fifty matches to know someone is crap or useful.

Miazga has talent beyond the pitch. He has quality at every needed level. CCV has all the fight and desire, but I question whether he has learned enough or can learn to reach the levels he promised.

I have always been a big fan of Williams. As a dmid, he is without a doubt the best option on the USMNT and has been for 3 years.

Yedlin has matured. He is the captain of this team until CP is 21 or something.

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Williams may have one of the most fascinating accents an American can have, a collaborative mixture of German and UK English.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been watching both Miazga and CCV and I like CCV a bit more than Miazga for the RCB. CCV is more mobile and is a better passer from the back.

10. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know nothing, absolutely nothing.
    We're going to get reamed tomorrow.
    Sarachan is an extremely weak coach.
    Our players haven't played together.
    You're deluded, dude.

11. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1036 y-lee-coyote, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    holy jumping ghost of freddy f*ckingadu.

Guys it was a tongue in cheek comment and if I was purposefully trolling you (I wasn't) it would have made Suyuntuy's (yes "system player" infamy) trolls look lame.

Please forgive me for touching your idols, and no Bradley never really played at all that high a level, and those of us who watched him knew Toronto's offer came just as he was being found out in Serie A. His best was a hardworking player with a great deal of heart and hustle, but limited technical ability. Once he left Italy, he lost his heart and hustle at which point he became barely mediocre.

After his madman of a coach was dismissed (fun soccer to watch if it isn't your team), and a real coach was hired Bradley's play amounted to a squad rotational player at best.

12. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    So, which future national teamer is Bedoya going to keep on the bench?

eainterplay, DeCoverley, Skevin and 3 others repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm not saying we're going to be ace.

I'm just saying Portugal is going to be playing a side even more experimental than ours, with even fewer caps (go to Wikipedia and compare if you don't trust me).

In short, there are no excuses whatsoever if we get punked. None of this "we got punked because our players only have a combined 200 caps!" because the Portuguese are going to have guys with a combined 100 caps, tops.

14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which past national teamer kept Bedoya on the bench when Bedoya was new pu$$y?

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't get why bring in Agudelo at this point. Heck Nguyen is scoring a lot more from the CAM position. I don't even remember when was the last time Juan scored anything.

16. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy and Sweden are 200 miles closer than US and Honduras. I agree about the whining part though.

Real Corona repped this.
  17. LeYankee

LeYankee New Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 20, 2017
    --------Sapong--------Gooch---------

------------------Rowe------------------

Adams---------------------------Yedlin
    ----------Williams-McKinnie----------

------CCV-----Brooks----Miazga----

----------------Horvath------------------

That's the lineup I would love to see in this one, with Sargent coming in for Sapong. Longer term, I'd like something pretty close to this, but with Gonzalez in place of Williams, Pulisic in place of Rowe, and whichever two forwards step up over the next couple years.

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of the vets presence, I think this may be the starting line up...

Dwyer--Agudelo
    Gooch--Mckennie--Williams--Bedoya
    Villafana--Brooks--Miazga--Yedlin
    Horvath

19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I keep trying to think, well, you can't start an entire teenage-ish lineup on the road against Portugal for their first cap. You got to work them in slowly.

But I keep looking at these veteran lineups people are posting and thinking, why are we wasting time on these guys? They don't have it.

laxcoach and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, not bad. Unfortunately just saw also Curly Doyle' lineup
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...lineup-prediction-what-i-want-see-us-portugal
    and he has Adams at the cmid position and I think the idea is to put him in a position he cannot handle too well so he doesn't get any offers in Europe and stays in MLS. He played cmid with u20's and just wasn't any good at it. He would impress at wb. Brooks is pretty rusty at the mom. I wouldn't even have called him. Let him get completely over nasty injury he had, imo.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the current mood is out for blood. Rather than try to excuse anything bad that happens we'll just look for a sacrificial scapegoat

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The veterans on this roster I don't think will make the team any better than the kids. The only vets that should start are Villafaña Brooks Yedlin and whatever at striker

23. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well said. Part of me thinks that this is just the first wave of kids and the only point to this game is to get their feet wet. The vets in that scenario would basically be space fillers and if a guy like Williams or Agudelo stepped up, then great, give him more chances. Break in Wes and Adams, maybe CCV or Sargent, next time bring in some more kids, etc.

Imo even if we get rolled it’s worth it if most of the kids play. Even if they just do something like bring Sargent on in the 85th minute, at least he doesn’t have the pressure of his debut hanging over him if they want to bring him in next time and get him some real minutes.

DIMITAR BERBATOV! repped this.
  24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine being an Italian-American today...

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about a Norther Irish, Italian American with a Kiwi wife?