Post-match: USA vs. Peru

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 16, 2018.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Hyndman is and has always been a better player than Delgado. If we arent worried about having a player who will help us in the future Nguyen/Feilhaber/Klejstan could fill in.

A coach has to understand if a players confidence is being challenged. If it wasnt at the extreme the Peru game would have been an opportunity to build it back up. Parker is another mythical MLS player that is only a stop gap at this level and would severely challenged playing out wide. A much better choice if you want to move a central defender wide would be Ventura Alvarado, but not in MLS so not considered and pimped by many on here.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Parker had the highest rating from L'Equipe apart from Trapp in the friendly with France and he was playing left cb in 5 man back line. It was the only game Robinson wasn't roasted and it was on the basis of that game that Robinson became the left back for the next decade according to our soccer savvy media - altho he gave up the tying goal in the dying seconds as he was too weak to make it to his mark while Parker was zooming around like he could go another 90.

CU soccer repped this.
  3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Isn't that what you already see? We field a bunch of kind of 8 kind of 6 types and we can't effectively either break plays up or string passes. All the offense comes from wide or deadballs. We in fact have enough talent they are producing. But I'd already say that most Sarachan games the midfield is basically scrappy. And not particularly effectively so, as teams are getting to the last lines as opposed to passing sideways out of lack of options or to evade some real ballwinner.

CU soccer repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Again, one game where we defended the whole game. Not sure how you can advocate Delgado for his skillset and not care that Parker just booted many balls in that game.

Parker is a poor man's Jay Demerit. Not what Id be looking for going forward. Of course Parker and Long's play against old man Rooney cost NYRB points. Similar poor marking was seen the following week when they lost track of world beater Wondolowski.

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Hyndman needs to find a better club location, and generally my impression of him has been meh. I wouldn't mind him being called in to kick the tires but it feels strained when it's like, oh, what you need is Feilhaber -- who saw time against TnT without effect -- or Nguyen or Kljestan.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Parker's passing has improved and yes he booted the ball against France, the best team in the world. Did you want him to pass to Robinson?

RedBulls have league best 33 GA, Seattle have 34 GA (Marshall and Kee-chee)
    and thereafter it is Atlanta, Dallas and SKC with 39 and everybody else is far behind. Now tell me it's MLS and I'll tell you that you brought up MLS, not me.

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He still needs to round out his game, but still better than Trapp and Delgado who are older than him. The comment about his club situation seems like "lazy snobbery".

The comment about the veterans is that they would be better options if not worried about the players being part of the team going forward. Feilhaber against T&T was desperation from Arena and tells you a lot about that man.

I'd be focusing on guys with potential right now and filling in gaps with guys like Wood, Williams, Morales, Alvarado, etc. I think the new coach can pick a first XI and build from there... finding combos that build nice partnerships and building out depth. I like having a sense of the starting XI and mixing a few in at a time to find ones that contribute and challenge for positions as opposed to swapping out a full side and wondering why there isnt a good understanding between the players.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The use of team stats for individual players is ridiculous. NYRB are one of the top teams, have a solid GK, good outside backs and two players sitting in front of them. So not surprising NYRB have the best GA and says nothing about either CB being capable at the international level.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We do need less CB's who aren't mobile and don't pass the ball well. We already have Miazga in that category. Brooks is not mobile. We are dealing with a CB situation that isn't ideal, regardless of the position having individual talent. Carter-Vickers is squarely in any 23 that would be picked by Sarachan. He's likely the third CB right now. None of our top 3 CB's for the current coach are mobile. One passes the ball at an average or better level.

For some reason you don't understand (or are acting dense) about how a player can not be bad, but still deserve to be more of a fringe roster guy than the first back up. CB is a position where we have good individual talent, so options 1-8 or 9 all are good players.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    As I said already, I don't approve of any pet projects on the NT. Earn your NT call ups with your club play. You can do that in MLS or Europe. There are differences in how players do that depending on age, league, previous tape elsewhere, etc. None of those players have done so. What some do is automatically give every benefit of the doubt and make excuses for players that ply their trade across the Atlantic, and those in MLS don't get that.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckerman tackled.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #387 ussoccer97531, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Possession isn't fashionable because a couple of teams that play football at a very different level than our NT have had success with a different style? What about teams that have had success with it? I think you are making a silly argument here.

Also, I never said that one system is always played by the superior team and another is always played by the superior team, but I think if both systems work well with similar talent, the possession system will be the better team more times than not. I think its the better style of football that wins more football games, not that it wins every game or that another style can't win against it.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, thats why you analyze what players produce and watch the games. League comparisons are mostly meaningless, yet some are insistent that whether a player plays domestically or abroad should be a big factor in why some get certain considerations and others don't.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Possession depends a lot on who scores first. If you go ahead, and the rival is not clearly weaker than you, you give them the ball and defend, hitting on the counter to score a second.

If the rival is clearly weaker than you, or for whatever reason you don't fear them, then you just keep the ball and go for more goals. Like Real Madrid did to Dortmund in the Bernabeu, showing total disrespect: scored two on them early, finished with 62% possession.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's the sort of lazy logic inspired by games like FIFA.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Gareca has a starting lineup that you can recite from memory which he has molded in 50 games with the NT, 7 of those players did not start (Gallese, Santamaria, Trauco, Yotun, Carrillo, Cueva, Farfan) . Only Yotun came off the bench.

He gave some of the second stringers a chance to make their case, most did not do enough to remotely push the starters

The USA is in a weird place with a coach that wont be there in 2019. Like you say they dont really have a set 11. They do have some very interesting youngsters so hopefully they select a coach who can make the mst out of the talent that is coming through

17. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    definitely not a C team (9 of the starters went to the WC) all the players that started have been involved with the NT for a while in some capacity apart from Callens who was making his first appearance in the 50 game Gareca era

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I genuinely don't think Carvallo had to make a save apart for the goal (which he had appeared to have covered until the deflection).

Once Yoshi Yotun came in Peru suddenly had purpose in the midfield. The guy is key to make the team tick.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Which current US player does not have weaknesses? Which current US player does not have "limits" to his effectiveness? The above statement tells us nothing.

The rest of your post is an exercise in irrelevancy.

20. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    "A huge drain on the rest of the team"...what passes for analysis on BS?

CU soccer repped this.
  21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That goal highlighted one of my biggest beefs with the team. They don't shoot enough. No lucky deflections on shots you don't take.

CyphaPSU and condor11 repped this.
  22. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    exactly hard to score when you don't shoot and if your in the area you have to try and get a shot off

23. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only to “auto-starters”, imo, are Pulisic and Sargent.

The insistence on having so many 6/8 types on the field is just poor coaching and bad player selection.

chad repped this.
  24. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who played most of his soccer in the semi tropics or tropics, I'm not convinced this is the best tactic to adopt when we have World Cup qualifying in the Caribbean and Central America.

Even though it's supposed to be "winter" in Qatar, I'm not sure the temperatures there would be conducive to this style either.

Excellency repped this.
  25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't the weather in that part of the world be more conducive to a counterattacking style for the US? Running around in that heat at a high tempo doesn't sound very smart to me.