Post-match: USA vs Paraguay March 27th, 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GiallorossiYank, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I would say the problem is not recognizing the nature of the evaluation and the inferences that should be drawn, not appreciating the uncertainty and weighing the value of the observation when making projections. Then I think most observers need to factor in their own abilities to judge intrinsic qualities (which is an interesting conundrum because if they can't judge these things how can they judge their ability to evaluate others).

I think it is highly unlikely that Marky has become more technical or creative than Emerson. It's possible that he is making better decisions on the ball but I don't think their relative capacities to process information has changed. That involves a few different mental processes. For instance, Marky is good at seeing what to do a pass ahead, which is why he is so good at playing first time passes into space. In some ways thinking like that and executing can be learned but the speed of processing that information, the variety of options considered, picking the most dangerous one, and checking out of that decision when circumstances change are less elastic. The other thing to consider is that team structure is very important in being able to see ahead because if there aren't options, often presenting themselves in a systematic manner, then there is no dangerous first-time pass to play. TFC are the best team in MLS history at instilling a system for quickly advancing the ball to the forwards through combination play and non-longball outlets.

2. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Send me a message with your e-mail address and I'll send you the excel file where you can enter your predictions. I won't share your e-mail address with anyone. Or, if you like to take a look at the file before providing me your info, I messaged you a dropbox link to where I have uploaded the file.

3. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Absolutely correct. Although, often, a performance, is an indicator of an intrinsic quality.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I’m sure everybody’s evaluations could improve even the top professionals in the world. Since it isn’t our jobs, improving isn’t as important as understanding the shortcomings of ones opinions. There are many here who don’t understand the game at all and make predictions, and then when they learn something new they think they have it figured out.

In this case, I believe my evaluation was fine for the purpose. I watch those tournaments for players who have the potential to play at a higher level than what we have had. My goal is for the US to be a top 10 team in the world and don’t have interest messing around with middling talent unless we absolutely have to because there is none who are or have the potential to be. From that team it was goalkeepers, central defenders, Hyndman and Zelalem. Rubin would have needed to have become a lethal finisher or could have been an upgrade for a hardworking role player.

Perhaps it is probability instead of level, but tehe probabilities have gotten very low for a fair amount of the region near the ceiling. It is possible that I set it too high to begin with. The other issue is who will sign him down the road. Certain top clubs who werent high probabilities 3 years ago are very, very unlikely now without a meteoric rise.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I’m not sure you characterized any of my comments accurately. While you’ve quoted my post, I don’t see the relationship to your post. You used the word irony before, but I don’t think you know what it means.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I was being nice saying its ironic you tell people that they overvalue the factual basis of their own opinions but that doesn't apply to you lol.

truth is you are insulting them its not ironic at all. you are saying their opinions are dumb and you don't have that issue when it comes to ur opinion.

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Your opinions don’t make sense, misuse facts, and I don’t think anyone values them.

I said there are some very dumb opinions and those are the people that could use a better understanding of the extent of their knowledge, but those are the people who unfortunately are least aware of their gaps in understanding.

It is ironic that you find someone else insulting given that appears to be the intent of all your posts.... You make up arguments of others to insult people.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I'll help you out.

you are the dumb opinion and you could use better understanding of the extent of your knowledge and your level of knowledge is zero but you don't understand the gap in ur level of knowledge and people that actually know what they are talking about.

you are one of the people you are talking about.

fyi teams pay millions of dollars to scout players and make footballing decisions...you are on a message board giving ur scouting reports for a reason. a second fyi I dont believe for a second you decided to pass up a lucrative job in the sport for a less paying job and a message board name.

9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You have bold opinions for being a “new fan”. I attempted to discuss the sport with you, but you were incapable of doing so.

I normally consider the comments of folks, even ones I have regularly disagree with, but you haven’t shown the capability to string together a coherent argument so far. You also haven’t shown any understanding of my views, so your comments are of no use to me.

I’m not going to get into your childish resume comparisons.

10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you see how laughable it is to be on a message board and giving your opinion; which seems to be criticizing other posters on a message board for giving their opinions!

11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    see thats what you don't get. I am fine with everyones opinion I disagree with the idea that one person's opinion here is better then anyone elses. I think ur opinion is as good as bsky22, and dead tigers opinion is as good as urs and all of you are as good as zlatan keaton parks uncles opinion. I disagree with the idea that people say their opinion is better then anyone elses.

12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I never realized when I signed up over ten years ago that ur name meant anything. I mean you are bsky22...apparently that means u are from the sky and are 22..and haven't aged since 2003 which is amazing but strange at the same time. I mean jazzy altidore is on this board...is jozy's brothers name really jazzy or is that a knickname? I mean he can't have altidore if he isn't an actual altidore, right?

here it is again as simple as I can put it

your opinion is worth no more and no less then anyone elses and the idea that you can say things like other people don't know their opinions are flawed while your opinion isn't is so disrespectful to other fans because thats all you are. the fact that you are caught up in the name I used when signing up shows how silly you are. If I had called myself...'best football scout in the world'...would that make it true lol. oh by the way the guy with zlatan in his name isn't actually zlatan.

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I believe that you don’t distinguish between posters. You have told every poster how naive they are.

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You are wrong about everything in that first paragraph.

That is very democratic of you, but all opinions are equal is another stupid thing you’ve said. You haven’t respected a single person on here.

Have the mods gone into hibernation? I’m sure this guy has broken every TOS on here.

15. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    you insulted everyone by saying their opinions are all flawed and they are too dumb to see that...you of course don't have that problem with ur opinions.

I am saying everyones opinions are equally qualified...how is that undemocratic lol.

I think you have it backwards. I am sticking up for everyone else. I am not saying anyones opinions are right or wrong just that they are all equally qualified.

why would the mods ban the person saying everyones opinion is equal in validity whether its correct or not is difference. you have no more knowledge then anyone else here.

16. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I have repeated that every posters opinion are equal...nobody on here has some great magic talent/gift that makes them more qualified to give an opinion then anyone else.

I only question people when they did what you did. opinions are fine for me up until someone says 'well yeah but your opinions are all flawed and ur too dumb to know ur flawed and my opinions are genius'...like you said.

when deadtigers insisted he had some magical background in the game I questioned him...he said he watches tournaments lol he doesn't have a brilliant background it its just an opinion he is on equal ground with everyone else.

when whatshisface said he found josh sargent first so other people should trust his opinion over others I called b.s. sargent was a top five prospect on topdrawer when he 'discovered' him.

I am fine with opinions but just admit its an opinion don't say how you are smarter you aren't we all have pretty similar backgrounds and similar knowledge. Don't pretend you have all this knowledge that you don't...be honest its just an opinion.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem as I see it is you turn every thread you post in into conversations about posters rather than the topic at hand.

How many pages has this gone on for?

Deadtigers and Kagler24 repped this.
  18. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Criticizing others opinions on subjective topics is par for the course on these threads. But when all you do is criticize and even infer and insinuate negative traits onto other posters, whilst never actually discussing the topic at hand is just dumb.

19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I said all posters opinions are equal no person here knows more then anyone else
    ...he said you guys are all dumb except for him...if you agree with him that all of you are dumb then that is ok I guess.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I didn’t say anything close to that.

@bungadiri @dark knight , can we do something to make this stop.

a_new_fan and Winoman repped this.
  21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yes, please! I second that. This person is a troll. Sharp dressed, well spoken troll but a troll nonetheless. He does nothing but pick fights with posters. Look at the last 10-15 pages or so.

a_new_fan and Winoman repped this.
  22. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Ok - this is exactly the sort of thing that gets you banned from N&A -turning conversations into discussing posters. Please listen to jond or we will turn off your ability to post here. Everyone please remember ignore lists are your friend.

23. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Also, I don't care who it is or what the reason -- personal attacks are going to get you banned from this forum. Thanks.