Post-match: USA vs El Salvador Gold Cup knock out

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet...

2. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Unlike the US, soccer is a working class game everywhere else.

If you follow Clemson football you will know that it is not "culturally" accepted, is a low class thing, the same with Suarez.

3. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are saying working class people bite each other? I consider myself working class, and I wouldn't want people to think I act like that. Luis Suarez was universally vilified for biting, not just in the US.

I have two people on my ignore list; I suspect you will be the third. You just troll in the personna of a US fan, but you hate America and the NATS. Go support the team you like and forget USN&A. Your schtick has worn thin.

WrmBrnr and KicksNgiggles repped this.
  4. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    I believe his last name is Bower, he is a Clemson football player, google it.

5. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    CLEMSON, S.C. -- While Clemson defensive lineman Christian Wilkins worked to defuse the controversy surrounding a play in the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl in which he grabbed the groin of Ohio State's Curtis Samuel, teammate Ben Boulware threw fuel on the fire Wednesday.

"We've done it all year to mess with players," Boulware said. "No one has done it as aggressive as Christian did. We try to be more discreet about it. He grabbed a handful."

6. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    First I have seen of any Concacaf acknowledgement of the El Salvador incidents:

"The disciplinary committee Thursday reached out to the USSF for any pertinent information regarding multiple commotions, federation spokesman Michael Kammarman told the Insider.

CONCACAF spokesman Brent Latham said he couldn’t confirm at this time that a formal investigation is underway.

Gonzalez, who had scored the first goal in the 2-0 victory at Lincoln Financial Field, appeared to have been bitten on the back of the right shoulder by Darwin Ceren in the 81st minute.

“I was a bit shocked,” the 6-foot-5 defender said. Ceren was not disciplined by Canadian referee Drew Fischer, who apparently did not witness the incident.

The USSF took a photo of the bite marks after the match but did not make it public.

Also in the second half, El Salvador’s Henry Romero appeared to bite Altidore on the back of the left shoulder and, in another moment, reach around the U.S. striker and pinch his left nipple. A minor scuffle ensued after the second incident. Apparently no photo exists of any possible bite marks."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-alleged-bite-during-u-s-s-odd-gold-cup-win/

7. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Romero prob did it, he is known in El Salvador as someone strong and a dirty player kinda like Pepe. He is half Honduran.

Ceren... that surprise me if he did, never expected something like this from him.

8. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    It shouldn't surprise you. There is video of it. You can see it with your eyeballs.

9. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Anyone know what the press in ES is saying about twisty bites?

10. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    I have been hitting Romero hard, I post on a Facebook page with about 31k Salvadorian soccer fans, we are very influential, we will make sure Fesfut fine both players.

11. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    This kind of dirty play doesn't reflect well.

Its better to lose with grace and dignity than to go out like a punk.

12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he bit him... he put his face to his shoulder but it didn't look like a bite. Def grabbed some titty tho

russ repped this.
  13. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Either way, they should be for fined.

No need to do any of that.

14. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    It was definitely a bite...multiple angles show the chomp.

15. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I got some other pictures besides the Matt Hedges one from last night...

Howard:
    [​IMG]

Lichaj:
    [​IMG]

Omar:
    [​IMG]

Hedges...Had to delete the deer in headlights, too many pictures apparently.

Morrow:
    [​IMG]

Bradley:
    [​IMG]

Nagbe:
    [​IMG]
    Arriola:
    [​IMG]

Zardes:
    [​IMG]

Dempsey:
    [​IMG]

Altidore:
    [​IMG]

HartwickFan, adam tash and deuteronomy repped this.
  16. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Top players, yes. But there were plenty more like Lichaj that could have been given a trial to. Now there is no time to do so. But based on Bruce's statements and past practices, he doesn't care about them anyway.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Last 10 league matches without Besler but with Opara: 3W 4T 3L

without Opara but with Besler: 3W 2T 5L*

And that includes matches from last season when Opara was still off his best form following the achilles injury.

The discrepancy widens when the sample sizes are extended..

* = courtesy of football lineups

Bajoro, adam tash and deuteronomy repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    And what does that prove? Opara was a career back up until this season. There's no comparison between the two. Why do we need a 28 year old who has never actually shown that much to get a chance at the most stacked position we have in the NT? If another player gets a chance, it should be Zimmerman, not the player who's played half of a good season next to a player who has a history of making mediocre players look very good.

19. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #219 deuteronomy, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    This is absolutely not true, not even sure why you posted it.

In fact, tt's so untrue it makes all of your analysis appear questionable.

russ, adam tash, WrmBrnr and 1 other person repped this.
  20. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this where you do your "journalism" work?

Scotty repped this.
  21. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Morris getting punched in the ribs? Haven't heard anything mentioned about that.

mike4066 repped this.
  22. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    There should have been several reds in that game.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not that far off, actually. During his time with SJ in MLS matches, he started 22 matches, and was on the bench 30. With SKC in MLS matches, he has started 57 and been on the bench 35, but he didn't really start getting regular starts until last season when he wasn't actually all that good.

So definitely a part time player until the 2016 season through 5 seasons in MLS. A lot of that is injuries, but he's 28 now, having his first good season, I don't see what he does thats so good that would warrant a call up in his situation that others would not get.

24. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opara has been a revelation since his rookie year and has started practically every match since, when healthy. Health has been his major concern.

Here he is acknowledged by the MLS writers as the frontrunner for the Defender of the Year award a midseason.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/07/10/midseason-awards-whos-defender-year-frontrunner

Benjamin Baer, New Media Editor
    Ike Opara.

He’s been the best defender on the best defense in the league. In my book that will always get you in the discussion for Defender of the Year. But that fact is not the only reason I have him here, as he’s opposed his will on opponents throughout the season with his physicality and tactical awareness , stifling many attacks.

Charles Boehm, Contributor
    I've got Ike Opara in a walk here. Anchors the league's stingiest defense – which is on pace to make a run at the MLS record book – and has chipped in couple of (spectacular!) goals. Perhaps most importantly, given his troubled injury history, he has started 18 of SKC's 20 league games to date.

David Gass, Contributor
    I think the group had it handled but there is no way to get away from Ike. One takeaway is, "Damn, if he had been healthy where would he/US be the last three years?

25. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    No