Post-match: USA vs El Salvador Gold Cup knock out

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Jul 19, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not sure your statement is really backed up by facts. He's started 53% of the MLS matches that he's been in the 18 for. I didn't include the matches he was out injured for, so thats not really even relevant to this discussion.

I know he's having a good season/very good season, but how often does a good season/very good season in your late 20's qualify you for a first NT cap, especially at a position with tons of depth?

2. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not everywhere else. It is a working class game in most places, but in Germany it is not.

3. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    Name 5 that fit this simple criteria.

1) Have their position/playing time with their clubs completely secured.
    2) Haven't already been capped enough where we need to learn more about them.

4. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017

5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what opara offers as a player is the opposite of fluky. ATHLETICISM is something omar, hedges, orozco, etc etc....don't have.

Opara scores amazing goals too.

and SKC is on record pace for giving up least goals in an MLS season...IN MLS HISTORY.

how old is hedges he's like 27? or 25....who gives a rat's ass if a player is 28???? USMNT IS ON a 1year timeline at this point.....even if it was 2019...a 28 year old CB would not be too old....Opara can still play in 2 world cups, imo.

normally, i get it that if a player hits a certain age and hasnt played on the USMNT it is a different story and not a good idea to integrate but every situation is unique.

we've seen that omar, hedges, etc ARE NOT GOOD! so lets try some other players!!

hating on Opara is weird. he's killing it in MLS...lets not wait until he isnt killing it in MLS to call him up like Nguyen.

deejay repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't hate anyone, I just don't think he should get a chance right now.

Doesn't mean I want to use Omar and Hedges. His SKC teammate Palmer-Brown would be a better option for the NT now that he's getting regular game time.

7. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    I would put it as some places, not most or everywhere. Kaka's father is a civil engineer and his mother is a teacher. The rags to riches stories tend to be a bit over stated. Although, some peoples definitions of working class can differ.

Footsatt and mike4066 repped this.
  8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Bruce has called in very few new Euros. I expect that to continue. Esp. ones that did not grow up in the "US system". He does not appear to be looking for new talent there.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Biting is considered a b-tch move even in the shanties. "No bites, no hair pulls, no poke in the eye, no kick in the balls, no spitting, no hitting if lights are out" are universals.

Deep Wilcox and Pragidealist repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Guy has a right to his opinion. We're no bloody BSMX here.

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, while annoying, titty twisters aren't career ending. I'll never forget the time I was marking a dude in a similar situation. We were battling all game and he was kind of fed up with me. Just before the corner kick was taken, he reached down and squeezed my nuts rather forcefully. He definitely got separation on the play as he left me there standing shocked, annoyed and kind of amused all at the same time. I didn't like it but it doesn't raise anywhere near to the same level for me as the guy who tried to break my leg with a super late, dangerous, purposefully reckless tackle.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opara was hyped out of San Jose, he scores a lot of goals and shows technique independent of Besler, with Ike limited last year the defense was solid but not among the best, and this year it's still been good without Besler; so no Opara is not a product of Besler. He's independently excellent. SKC have 3 independently excellent (central) defenders. Don't need to throw one or more under the bus to prop up the others. Ike has been through enough in his career. You can give credit where it's due now that he's health(ier).

adam tash repped this.
  13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Is Besler on the roster for this GC? I can't remember

14. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    You very clearly don't follow the national team very closely, if at all. Our last two qualifiers featured starting lineups that were 50% European based players.

So again, I'll post teh same question to you. Name 5 European based players that Bruce should have called in that meet this criteria.

1) Have a secure place in their club team where preseason isn't a priority for them.

2) Haven't already been capped so much that there really isn't anything to learn about their abilities at the international level.

Just five. Based on your commentary, you should have that list off the top of your head.

15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's great to see folks coming around on Zardes. Production has been there for him from day one. I'm glad Bruce has told him to be mroe of an attacker in the final third too. He's not a noteworthy dribbler but he's got enough of a first step to keep defenders honest.

16. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Even Kaka says that he was different bc most of his teammates were from Favelas.

17. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Some people use these "tactics" to get into your "head," some are crazier than others, I think it was Mourinho that said he tried to hit a player with a ball or something, the idea was that the player was going react and get a red card, this is coach Mourinho talking, I truly hate the guy.

I brought the Clemson example so that way we don't get "nationalities" involved, every nationality has their share of embarrassing people.

I was born in the hood, my mom is working class. I know all the cheap shots working class people pulls.

Altidore got lucky that people are making a big deal out of this, taking away the attention from him no scoring.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its not throwing him under the bus. If you preferred Opara getting a chance to Zimmerman or Palmer-Brown, would you be throwing them under the bus?

I think we are more than fine at CB. We don't need to add a 28 year old with 0 caps. Keep most of the same core, and supplement it with younger CB's.

19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    were not fine at Cb...even cameron and brooks the presumed starters are good for a bunch of meltdowns...cameron in portugal game for example or brooks in Jk last 2 matches and other games......

and those 2 are a cut above everyone else thats been given a shot....you say you dont want ot use omar and hedges...but then who else is there? brinbaum? orozoc? besler's decent but even he got burned vs belgium in last WC.....

EPB over Opara is laughable. epb has played like 1 professional game. and he is on the bench behind opara. lemme guess...you were a fan of julian green in 2014 wc roster?? cuz epb on the wc roster would be similar.

so yeah theres a bunch of options but no clear lock down CB....

my top 5 right now are cameron, brooks, opara miazga and besler

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Kaka, and a few others, are by far the exception. I'm not saying every Brazilian international was dirt poor, but Kaká grew up in much better circumstances than his team mates.

OT, but many of the great early MMA fighters from Brazil, the Gracies, Sperry, (especially) Vitor Belfort like to wear the working class mantle but were from very elite families. Most denizens of the favelas scarcely know what BJJ is. Their fighting style is Capoeira.

deuteronomy repped this.
  21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I agree with this. If you had watch Dempsey over the years, he's a guy that truly shine when surrounded with talented and technical attackers.

Remember that game when he scored 3 against Honduras back in March? He needs a guy like Pulisic who can read his runs, and feed him.

22. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    No offense, but that comment is laughable. Opara won't even be a footnote in Erik's biography.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, no need to throw other able players under the bus, to prop up a different guy you like. I think Opara would have 50+ caps by now if not for the injuries, which aren't his fault, reflective of his ability, and he's miraculously bounced back to be a stellar defender this year. If EPB is ahead of him in the pecking order from a senior nt standpoint right now, it should be because he can play d-mid too, and not for his cb play where Opara just has much better qualifications than him right now. It's a fair point they are on the team where the defense has been dominant and Opara an MLS defender of the year favorite where EPB has been a backup (fair or not).

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I just watched the game again.

Hedges - the criticism is way over done. The stuff he got wrong was stuff he would correct with more caps. He did a lot of good stuff too.

Zardes is our best player, taking into consideration he is still coming back from injury. Great stuff. Listen to the guys who know what they are talking about, Gyassi. Midfield is home base. Everything starts there.

Nagbe is our biggest problem because he is so over rated. His game is going to kill us in Russia against the big boys.

Arriola - I see why he plays and I see why he sits, at club in Tijuana.

Acosta came on in minute 70 and by minute 73 almost our entire team was lying on the ground writhing in pain after another donkey turnover from Acosta and Salvador counter that should have scored. Please stop, MLS. Think of everything your country has done for you. Let it go.

Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore, gonzo - they are what they are. They need no introduction.

Morrow - he's ok.

Licaj - he's the same guy I remember from Aston Villa in the prem days where he played with Guzan. He's ok. Championship level. He scored some goals in his career.

Bruce has his work cut out for him.

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Properly chastised, I guess. I'm not really qualified to comment on Opara. He might be the best CB MLS has ever or will have. I have no idea. But, fair or not, deluded or not, I see EPB developing into a world class player. At CB or DM.

ussoccer97531 repped this.