USA vs Ecuador 10/10 postmatch

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tomásbernal, Oct 10, 2014.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? Verdicts?

I thought Diskerud was a standout, especially in the first half. Scores an A. Chandler got a "meh-" in the first 30 or so, then improved. Yedlin very good in the first 30, then disappeared a bit. Greg Garza was a pleasant surprise at LB. Jozy did very well setting things up repeatedly, and looked strong in the air (for once!). Donovan, oh Donovan...

2. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good sendoff for LD, in the first half at least. Some really sloppy play in the 2nd half along with Bobby Wood's controller disconnecting in stoppage time prevented this from being a win.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, I made another thread at the same time. Reposting this here. I presume the mods will delete my thread.

I thought Diskerud was a standout, especially in the first half. Scores an A. Chandler got a "meh-" in the first 30 or so, then improved. Yedlin very good in the first 30, then disappeared a bit. Greg Garza was a pleasant surprise at LB. Jozy did very well setting things up repeatedly, and looked strong in the air (for once!). Donovan, oh Donovan...

bungadiri, Mr Martin and Marko72 repped this.
  4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Greg Garza could have scored 3 goals and I still don't think he's very good LB. He's short slow was on the ground a lot and can't get forward. He does have a nice ball stop though. Thought Darke was going overboard with him. He kicks the ball long and he says nice clearance when someone else just kicks it silence. Playing kickball isn't good no matter who does it. He would complete a pass and say Garza's having a nice game. Say what?

5. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Created some chances throughout. The subs killed the flow

Marko72 repped this.
  6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    B- first half, D second half. One of the sloppiest U.S. games I can remember in a long time.

wixson7 and Mr Martin repped this.
  7. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    To be expected with all that youth

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Overall, I'd say it was a good but not great game for the US until the mass substitution. In general, each one of the subs, not really including Omar, were a step down from the guy that they were replacing.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  9. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Looking at the roster, it was what I expected

10. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Mix and Yedlin are A team. MLS is stupid if they are not working hard to get Mix in MLS . Don't like Bedoya either as a 6 or 8. Chandler is not nearly as good as
    Johnson. Depth only. Jozy needs to return to MLS. Orozco is a sleeper. He will be in his prime soon.

All the lower level Euro guys show me nothing. I hope Cameron gets healthy. He's our best 6 going forward.

TroyandAbed and MPNumber9 repped this.
  11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The youth that started were for the most part good. Garza was good. Yedlin was good. Mix played like a boss. Gyau looked pretty good the short amount of time he was out there. Brooks was shaky but I agree with Klinsmann for giving him plenty of opportunities.

12. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    If you don't think Orozco was more fit than Gonzalez for this particular game then you must've been watching from a shaky stream in Zimbabwe.

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about the concerns about his athleticism. But I think he did well defensively against Ecuador. I would like to see play behind some one like Johnson to see how he is going forward. He definitely didn't hurt his cause and will continue to get called up I think.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  14. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    I was going in thinking it was not going to be clean

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Orozco had two glaring errors in the first half that went mercifully unpunished.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood's decision making was pretty awful but his movement wasn't too bad. That's why he kept getting touches unfortunately he wasted most of them. He'll be the donkey, especially considering the last chance, but I thought Chandler was shaky as f-ck. He got abused a few times.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ream did fine, goal is not on him at all, that was a good takeaway from today. but the rest.....yeah, blah. Corona is especially unimpressive for me.

going to miss me some mandon donovan. Hope he travels the world and enjoys life.

deuteronomy repped this.
  18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glaring? idk...ecuador didnt look too dangerous first half...1 or 2 shots on goal. their biggest chance was a team breakdown that was just as much chandlers fault as anyone else´s

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, agree completely. Corona was maybe the worst player on the field for the US today. I was disappointed since he's been very positive mostly in other matches he's gotten into.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mix is fine with coming to MLS. MLS has tried on two occasions to get Mix in MLS with contracts with good salary. His agent/dad seems to just really hate the structure of the contracts.

I think we will see another attempt if Mix doesn't leave Norway.

Yep. Wood passed the eyeball test. The level isn't below him and as forward he doesn't have a problem getting into scoring positions. His final ball/shot needs work, of course. I actually think coming to MLS would be very good for him as he would get more time on these issues than he does in Germany.

21. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree. Thankfully, I think that stuff comes with experience. Hopefully he improves on that as he gets older and more experienced.

22. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that we have a lot of young talent coming up. Sorry that Gyau was injured, hope it is not too serious. I also thought Chandler and Yedlin played well together. I still do not think Altidore is that great; although, he did hold up the ball well, and had one nice pass through. But, all in all, I was very much encouraged with the youngsters and their speed of play. Having Gyau and Yedlin (think midfield is his best position) on the wings will give us a lot of needed speed. With Chandler and Johnson at RB and LB respectively, we seem to be set. Although I did think that Garza did a creditable job.

Sorry, but I am still angry at JK for not allowing LD to have his last WC and bring up his stats. There is no doubt in my mind that we dearly needed him. The only way JK will earn my respect back is if he continues to build the team and wins the 2018 WC.

adi21 repped this.
  23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

make no mistake, this team continues to win in spite of him. I think its more resiliancy and mental toughness that our players can put up with the guy than anything. Anything the team has done, is doing, and will do will be in spite of the coach this cycle.

xbhaskarx, StillKickin, Dervos and 4 others repped this.
  24. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The post.... the inside of the bloody post....!