Pre-match: USA vs Canada; February 5th @ StubHub Center

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OlympiquedeMarseille, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlympiquedeMarseille

Apr 18, 2012
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1 OlympiquedeMarseille, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  2. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    This will be a test for the American's ability to penetrate the final 3rd after enjoying lots of possession.

Canada plays a 4-5-1 with 3 defensive CMs. The system depends on the wingers being dangerous and combining with Cyle Larin. Considering Junior Hoillet, Atiba Hutchinson and Scott Arfield won't be playing, this game has a boring 0-0 written all over it, just like past friendlies between the two countries.

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    We've been highly uneven, generally lacking in the final third, and anything but solid in defense. On pure quality this should be an easy match in good conditions at home, but in reality I think Canada can justly come into this believing they have a real chance to smash-and-grab a result.

Berks repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you thought Iceland was boring....

seeds, CeltTexan and keller4president repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder if Cyle Larin and Tesho et al will make it a better game than the last one. Couldn't be any worse, surely.

Also wonder if the Canada game is where the U23's will be starting. I think JK has hinted at it,

Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  6. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Start Morris and Keiswetter to give them some confidence ahead of the Colombia game.

Give Finley another shot as we have few games where we can afford to test him out. I'd much rather confirm that he's not up to the task over the course of a few friendlies rather WCQ.

exref and keller4president repped this.
  7. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    This game will be far more boring than the Iceland game. I like Cyle Larin, but he's been pretty poor for Canada so far compared to his MLS form. No coincidence that Kaka isn't playing CM feeding him the ball for Canada.

Extreme defensive formation+Dynamic players missing for Canada = hard on the eyes.

8. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @CANPRO you are an awesome poster. That is all

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bunker . . . It must be penetrated . . . .

Cyle Larin, he must not be allowed to counterattack . . .

That is all!

FLSoccerGran and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  10. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Really, do you get the sense that many found that game boring? Uneven at patches, sure, but I thought both teams were looking to get forward fairly well for a Jan friendly.

We shall see whether any sparks can come of this "border rivalry", it certainly has a very poor track record....

mike4066 repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we have to start Parker, Vincent, Trapp, and Morris in this game. Polster and Kiesewetter off the bench. We'll have to see if Klinsmann liked what he saw from Khiry Shelton enough to give him a cap. Khiry is kind of a poor man's Kiesewetter. Pace, but I haven't seen much else.

12. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He should start both Nagbe and Nguyen..

Maybe something like

Morris-----------Altidore---------Kiessewetter/Finlay
    ---------Nagbe-------Nguyen--------------
    ----------------Bradley----------------

There's a ton of possession in that midfield

Namdynamo and keller4president repped this.
  13. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham

During the Iceland match, Nagbe found himself looking for an opportunity on the left and ended up playing the ball wide instead of trying something low percentage into the box. I figured the chance was totally gone because once Nagbe let it go, that was it for creativity and, even worse, the chances of maintaining possession that deep had just dropped significantly.

Now all this "analysis" happened in a millisecond, and I would not have even really recognized it until I then saw that the wide player was Nguyen.

What a relief! The ball had come to another player on the team that was likely to control it, not lose it, and might even see a creative chance.

I had forgotten what that feels like. Nguyen ended up circulating that ball back out, but the confidence I had that good things were more likely than bad things was euphoric.

I realized that watching the Nats has become a bit like it used to be watching yanks abroad back when I was ready to be impressed if our boy just didn't have it bounce off his foot like a donkey.

So, yes, it might be nice to see what the Nats have to give up to get some real possession in the midfield.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see what Trapp can do.

-------------------------Altidore---
    ---Morris------------------------------
    ------Nguyen-------------Nagbe-----
    -----------Trapp---Bradley----------

Use Morris' ability to spread the attack to allow Nguyen/Nagbe space to roam and space to run into on the ball. This would be built for fullbacks who can get forward but this roster doesn't have that although Acosta did show a shade of potential there. This also allows Nguyen to float ahead of Nagbe in areas he's excelled in NE. Someone tell him it's ok to shoot in a NT kit.

I want a completely different look than having two Zardes/Finlay types out there. Enough.

15. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Man, you drew it up as the "really big empty bucket." BB would be proud.

I actually would start the same front 6, but in the skinny diamond that we tried yesterday in the first half. I think this puts all 3 of Lee, Nagbe, and Bradley in better positions to succeed than JK had them yesterday.

--------------Altidore-------Morris-----------
    ----------------------Ngyuen------------------
    ------------Bradley-----------Nagbe----------
    -----------------------Trapp--------------------

And yes, you're right this is screaming for overlapping outside backs. I'd try Acosta and Miller with this roster (for lack of alternatives).

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Vincent is the best option if you want overlapping backs. Also, if he's going to join the U-23s against Colombia, you had better see if he can hang at this level before making his debut in that kind of situation.

17. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Break the bunker .... heavy possession oriented group.

------------------------Jozy
    Nguyen -----------------------------------------Nagbe
    --------------------Bradley-------Jones
    Acosta--------------------------------------------Evans
    -----------------Besler --------whomever

18. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'll have to take your word for it.
    Something about this I don't feel good about...actually a few things, but one thing in particular.

SccrDon, Mr Martin and Pragidealist repped this.
  19. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    ?

20. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    HA! lol

21. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I meant to go back and add the other player. Instead I got sucked back into some work stuff and forgot. We're good with playing a man down right?

SccrDon repped this.
  22. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, it is Canada

Pragidealist repped this.
  23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    We've already seen what Acosta can do getting forward (not bad), but no idea if Vincent is over his head or good enough. At the college level, he loved to jump into the attack. Is he confident enough to do it at this level? Can he deliver an accurate cross under pressure at international speed of play?

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Morris' forte is running the slant and using his physical stature to push defendrs off the ball. Out wide he would slant out of bounds and defenders simply back off. Zardes, otoh, has a great cross and shouldn't be cf anyway because he gets knocked around easily in a hold up position.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Shadow-boxing. Like fighting your own Mini-Me. So far, JK can't break the Canucks. Maybe third time is the charm.

And I don't think they just bunker. They do better than that, they clog our channels, they don't let us play. They often guess our subs and changes of roles.

It's going to be fun... well, in a way.