USA vs. Canada, 10/15/2019 [R] - Post-Mortem

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Oct 15, 2019.

1. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter is a gigantic problem, but the true rot resides much higher up.

Listen, Cuova was a f'ing 5-alarm fire; and how did the Fed respond? They sat on their f'ing ass for a whole year hoping that everybody would just look at it as a momentary blip in a slow but ultimately inevitable rise to the top of the world game. They sat on their ass in the middle of a raging inferno hoping that the flame retardant they had spread around them would prevent the flames from advancing any further when there was nothing left but charred embers anyways. Any other self-respecting Federation would have lay prostrate and begged for forgiveness from their supporters for such a massive failure and pledged to move heaven and earth to make amends. Alas, ours f'ing doubled-down on the "nothing to worry about/see here"...."we are all so smarter than you" farce of a fixed coaching search that has left us even lower than we were in 2017.

The irony of things right now is I actually think the player pool is much better; the problem is that the current staff/program has been reluctant to flush those who were party to the failure in 2017 and whose continued inclusion in the current pool suggest there is no price to pay for f'ing up. What kind of message does that send to the next wave? We'll tolerate failure as long as we can bank a few high-grossing friendlies against El Tri.

Bradley, Zardes, Guzan...they have no business in this set-up any more. Turn the team totally over to the kids...meaningfully integrate guys like Pomykal; stop filling these players' heads with some silly "system" that neuters their own best instincts and get a coach with a pedigree and track record that the players will respect.

Say what you will about individual/collective performance, but I have followed this team since 1984 and I have never seen such a disconnect with respect to the potential in the pool and the results on the field. The optimist in me sees the material to build something really great but not in this current environment with a Fed that lacks urgency and not with this coach who is about as lifeless as the team he trots out there these days.

HartwickFan, KUSA77, wrench and 22 others repped this.
  2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Hey, genius, we are already mathematically in a position where our best case is a tiebreaker

They have 9 points and the road game here left

We have 3 points and the two November games left

It’s over

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I think his proclaiming that he doesn’t care about results while coincidentally the results are awful isn’t a great point in his favor.

The fact that we look worse than we did under an interim nobody isn’t great either.

What about his training exercise looks like we’re making progress in any area?

4. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hey, the good news is that all we have to do is go get a win on an island to advance! What could go wrong?

5. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Weird how competent organizations somehow can conduct training exercises but still look competitive.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If panic means it took us over a year to pick a coach, I’d hate to see what patience looks like.

7. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    We would look like Cuba against WC group stage opposition right now.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The players bend to strategy, and not positively, as opposed to figuring your studs out and then building some approach to suit them

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing.

In the past we choose not to play soccer. It was a tactical choice. If we had decided to play this is probably what we would have looked like. Maybe a little worse. So again, I’m not sure what huge gains are being achieved here by running training exercises in real games.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    GB has changing TACTICS confused with changing HOW WE PLAY

As a result I think he compounds his selection problems by then saying, don’t play like you’re used to

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d also like to throw in that I would be okay never seeing Ream, Zardes, Bradley, Yedlin, or Roldan ever wearing the shirt again.

And I think Bradley was one of the best players we’ve ever had.

Dr Jay and bballshawn repped this.
  12. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Why is Keaton Parks or Pomykal not getting called up? Roldan sucks donkey dick. Lovitz ********ing sucks ream is slow as shit bradley shouldve been banned from the team after 2017. Lastly Gregg ********ing sucks, can we get someone from the red bulls organization to coach us at least they press right

13. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few observations that have nothing to do with the play on the field. I’ll leave that analysis to you young hotshots.

1) Pulisic whining on the bench was disappointing to me. I know he’s young, but that was a very bad look for both him and Greg. Kid needs to grow the hell up.

2) For the good of US Soccer, we need to stop showing shots of Greg on the sideline during the game. His facial expressions and body language is abysmal. He also needs to decline all halftime and immediate postgame interviews.

WrmBrnr and matabala repped this.
  14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have players ever boycotted in order to remove a coach? I think that is the only way GB gets fired... Of course, said players need to actually hustle and play to their ability when they get another. All around terrible situation right now.

15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the solution to the problem that is the quality of our manager is to hide the manager so that his quality is not capable of being seen?

Yup, that's a notion, alright.

Deep Wilcox, majspike, Statman and 10 others repped this.
  16. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I think the Mutiny would beat this USMNT team.

17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Sure, in 2012. He’s been declining, fast, since the foot injury in 2013. He’s like end-career Kobe at this point.

18. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    The pathetic level of suck that Gagg has achieved almost masks the total lack of fight in these players. Almost.

19. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Once again I owe Klinsman a debt of gratitude. He sucked the life out of my fandom ages ago. Not qualifying didn’t hurt anywhere near as much as it should have. This...meh...oh well.

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    You;re ignoring that they have basically been coached towards passivity, which is not the same as them showing up flat, unmotivated, or the like.

I remind people that the Crew in their one MLS Cup under him showed up flat as a pancake To a mediocre Timbers side and the game was done in 15 minutes.

21. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a pleasant game. To me, the critical factors were (1) a complete inability to manage the midfield; (2) really poor passing; (3) Canada played better as a team and did a great job stopping the US movement down the flanks.

McKennie had almost zero positive influence. He got an early yellow card for mouthing off?? He didn't pass well, didn't tackle well and certainly didn't do much to slow the Canada movement through the midfield. The inability of the midfield to get the ball to and utilze Josh Sargent was astonishing.

Unfortunately, CP was bad. I hope for all our sakes that he was ill. I don't want to lose faith in him so soon.

I was worried about this game because of the quality of the Canada attack and was uncertain about the outcome. IMHO, Canada won for reasons I did not expect--an inability to control the midfield and some really poor passing.

largegarlic, Winoman and gogorath repped this.
  22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Thoughts:
    • Kudos to Morris, Steffen, and ... Aaron Long for most of the game, and Bradley for everything but that one mistake, and... eh. No one else.
    • Team couldn't complete basic passes. Canada leaves plenty of openings, but I quickly lost track of passes to nowhere, poor receptions of easy passes, chance squandered...
    • For all that think basic passing is too much for the pool, much less positional play, this game is an evidence point in your favor.
    • Ian Darke and Twellman were ranting about effort and urgency ... but I'm a lot more concerned about the fact that no one can seem to complete an easy pass, much less create any danger.
    • I could rag on the players all day. So I won't.
    • Berhalter's mistakes: Lovitz and Roldan. Bringing too many attackers back into the defense leading to poor ability to counter. Pulisic just needed SOMEONE running with him and there would have been real danger.

lmorin, RalleeMonkey, dlokteff and 2 others repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Are you guys aware that if we beat Canada 1-0 in Orlando and Cuba 0-3 in the Caymans, we'd win the group?

24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I like how Berhalter is trying to make “subbing in a defender when trailing” a thing.

Must be part of his super cool system.

25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just getting here, and ill start with a crowd pleaser...

if you put that first goal on yedlin you are straight up dumb. theres no shades of grey. long and ream stood and watched that play happen. to twist yourself in the knot it takes to say it was yedlings fault? youre just dumb.

ill keep reading now...