USA vs. Canada, 10/15/2019 [R] - Post-Mortem

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Oct 15, 2019.

1. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I think I'll stick to my previously stated line for firing Berhalter--failing to make the final of Nations League. Not that I care about Nations League itself, but it's a really bad sign for the Hex if the US can't make the final of this tournament, and it'd be better to ditch a coach after Nations League before we get into qualifying.

So, by that standard, Berhalter needs to beat Canada next month, or he should be gone.

2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delving into The Chronicles of The Ancient Days I see that once upon a time Mao-Tse-Tung reveled in mocking the US as a "Paper Tiger". Who knew he could see 50 years into the future with such precision?

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Our player pool might be in transition but there’s no way a competent coach wouldn’t have what we do have organized into a coherent group. Instead we have a guy cosplaying Mike Martz in a sweater and losing to a hockey country.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We didn't win 50/50 balls (true)

5. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Just go to hell Berhalter. And take USSF with you.

He is pathetic. And the federation is pathetic

Not only can they not play soccer, they don't seem to care!!

Again, Roldan should never play for the US again.

Lovitz is trash.

Yedlin should never play for the US again.

Pulisic is bad bad right now.

McKennie forgot there was a second half. Quit being petulant and make winning your priority, son.

But who's surprised? As long as Berhalter is in charge, this is what the US is.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What do you have against sheep?

ipass, jnielsen, dlokteff and 1 other person repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hole between our front 3 and our mids was large enough to park five school buses. And have a BBQ. Even bring some beach balls for the kids to throw around. This again goes back to US coaches apparently having no clue how to connect the midfield to the attack.

Sargent couldn't get a ball to his feet. Pulisic ala the '18 cycle, stranded and surrounded without options. Not a mid centrally with an ounce of creativity. Roldan/McKennie all over the place and pinned deep covering for both Bradley and Lovitz.

But this team has zero confidence in this coach. And he probably just lost Pulisic by making him the scapegoat.

Im generally apathetic towards this program but its slid so far down the mountain. I legitimately think it's unlikely we qualify for Qatar. Not unless some unforeseen turnaround happens. I have never seen our team this low and this down leading into qualifying.

KUSA77, wrench, juveeer and 11 others repped this.
  8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    From a fan's perspective I'd like to see people attending USMNT games wearing bags over their heads. I'm up for it.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Yes Pulisic definitely had flu like symptoms which is why he was so visibly pissed off at being subbed. Because of the flu you see.

HartwickFan, UnitedBorn, juveeer and 9 others repped this.
  10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s laughable is people getting upset about a manager who is actually trying to get the team to play the way that snake oil salesman promised us we would and now he’s getting run out of town because he’s an American.

Gregg needs to stop running training exercises and start getting results with the style and player pool that will achieve those ends. I won’t argue against that. But if you think the Klinsmann era didn’t help set this country back an entire decade...well agree to disagree and move on.

FreekickSmurf and diablodelsol repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In General Egg's camp, it's one flu over the cuckoo's nest.........

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    .................................................................:whistling:

Time to cue what Lahm said about Klinsmann and tactics.

CeltTexan repped this.
  13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I hated Klinsmann with the fire of a thousand suns but he’s not the one trotting out the corpse of Michael Bradley and trying to play “a system” that we don’t remotely have the personnel or time to implement.

Even that dope knew when to knock off his crap and play for a result. People want to run Berhalter off because there hasn’t been a single moment to signal that he knows what he’s doing.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I said some time ago that Tab should be hired as midfield coach. Anybody getting on board?

don't be silly. we want to fail to qualify. we cant do that with Tab as midfield coach.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drama!

Someone have that screenshot of Puli receiving, turning and there's 6 red shirts around him and not a yank in sight?

He didn't play well but if you make him the scapegoat make sure your setup checks out first. Frankly, no one plays well under GGG.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think you've got the right idea. Now, you only need to get Jay Berhalter's phone # so you can call and discuss.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Couva was a fluke. We were well beaten tonight.
    i’m no fan of JK, but you’re right. This is all on GGG.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point, and it’s almost literally true. Morris is a bright spot. Arriola treads water. Literally every other player underachieves.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The line of bad results started with Klinsmann, and he holds the higher share of the blame for 2018. But it isn't 2017 anymore... Klinsmann isn't and hasn't been the decision-maker for anything relating to 2022.

Klinsmann's one legacy for the 2022 cycle will be if the U.S. fails to qualify for a 2nd time. If that happens, then it would be appropriate to coin the curse of Landon Donovan.

CeltTexan and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    [​IMG]

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our midfielders are trash. Bradley is past it
    If you listen to Gregg speak it’s as if every game thus far has been a training exercise and he doesn’t give a dump about results.

My question is when exactly do results start to matter for him? Thats my concern. Personally I don’t care if we’re getting bent over by Canada so we can “learn how to play out of the back” or whatever he’s pushing. When do the results really matter to him? That’s what I want to know.

RalleeMonkey, Burr and Winoman repped this.
  22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It had a purity of essence.....;)

USA-Zebuel, Winoman and puttputtfc repped this.
  23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    And this is the first road game since last November

juveeer repped this.
  24. DeCoverley

DeCoverley Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    AC Milan
  25. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sent the entire program into panic mode. This is the result.