USA Sevens Tournament (Rugby)

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by DoctorJones24, Feb 15, 2004.

1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Did anyone else catch this? I happened across it this weekend LIVE on FSW--great stuff. I love international sevens tournaments.

Argentina v Samoa in the Semis was phenomenal. Only saw a bit of the USA playing vs Korea, but the USA was hanging tough.

Figi was taking it to the All Blacks, too, which was nice to see.

It'll be interesting to see if this event can build in the coming years to become something special. The Hong Kong sevens has got to be one of the best sporting events in the world.

2. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, yup. I seen it too and it was awsome. If the crowd was bigger, it would even be a lot 'awsomer' (if there is such a word). But it's the first year and the NBA all-stars was also in town. Expect a better tourney next year.

Rugby Sevens Rules!

3. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Success Declared!

Success for American Rugby

For American rugby the weekend was a huge success. It was the first time the U.S. had staged a tournament on the IRB Sevens circuit and more than 15,000 turned out to watch over the two days.

The tournament was organized in less than four months after Brisbane withdrew from the Sevens circuit last November.

USA Rugby's Operations Director Dan Lyle firmly believes the LA Sevens is an ideal opportunity to market rugby in America.

Unlike one-off Test matches in the 15-man version of the game, which are often played at ill-fitting venues, the Home Depot Center is a modern 27,000-seat soccer stadium that rugby can grow into.

"We know there's good things ahead of us based on our first year," former USA Eagles captain Lyle said. "We accomplished a good deal with a short runway plus a steep take-off."

The organisers expect attendance to grow rapidly in the next two years. In addition to its expanding population of registered rugby players, USA Rugby hopes to tap into LA's large expatriate communities. Argentine, Fijian, New Zealand and Samoan fans were particularly in evidence over the weekend, and the small Kenyan contingent made plenty of noise.

http://www.foxsportsworld.com/content/view?contentId=2151182

4. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    i saw the highlights on FSW report last night, and saw some of it live last saturday, it was pretty exciting.

the sparse crowd i guess is understandable since they only had four months to plan it. actually dispite the little crowd, they were loud for their respective teams.

lets see how it does next year when they have more time and better resources to plan.