Post-match: USA Ghana general post match discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bungadiri, Jun 26, 2010.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. That had to be the loneliest of rides.

2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it doesn't. Have you ever been to Ghana?

4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he didn't try to dribble out of the back, he wouldn't of lost the ball. Every team in the world will punish you with that kind of MISTAKE, the goal was Clark's fault. Just as he fell asleep on the England, he shouldn't of been in the starting lineup, so part of the blame goes to Bradley also.

5. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Looks to me that the "spirit of the group" comes from their exclusivity -- that it's a small selected group who always get to play.

Those other teams have big groups chosen on current form. Means that the team ethic may not be quite as there, but it also means that you don't have to play the same players every minute of the tournament because there will be a backup.

6. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    Somewhere in Ghana there is a man missing the roof of his house. [I kid :)]

7. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly would have given Kassai a reason not to call the penalty if he'd seen it, though at that point, if he'd not called the penalty on Dempsey's play, maybe he would have called one when Altidore got tripped in the box. On the other hand, although Mensah got a touch on the ball, that touch didn't really push the ball away from Dempsey. I've seen someone else argue on another board (and I agree) that given that, the penalty call was justified.

8. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Fair response and position.

I'm really 50/50 on the call, could see it called either way.
    I was just suprised with so little discussion on the topic.

9. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what? He is 28 yo, perfect age to be a dad. If he knows it is a boy, then it's doubly great news.
    :D

I am a 39 yo with a 22 month old who I love more than life itself - but I will be an old fart by the time he is 15 years old.

10. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi has shined in the games. He's set up goals and hit the post. And his name rings out through the game. You could go a half and the only reason to mention Donovan was he hasn't touched the ball.

[/QUOTE]
    Please. This is not FIFA Street.

Donovan is tied for most goals in the entire tournament. He played excellent set pieces. He's been a dangerous passer. He's done all that with every team keying on him.

As ever, Donovan is victimized by fans who wished he was a superman, when the truth is he's just our most important player.

I continue to wish for SonsOfSamHorn-equivalent restrictions to USMNT N&A[/QUOTE]

My point is that he wasn't our most important player. Not top 3, probably not a top 5 performer. And many have seen the same thing throughout the WC.

Donovan is a victim of his own expectations. Should have kept his mouth shut until after the cup.

11. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard still had some decent stops, from game one. Some goals should have never even made it to Timmy. Deny some space against England and Slovenia. Algeria had a chance or two. The second Ghana goal was near post, but Boca should have done something.

Most good keepers are only needed for a few saves, and Howard did his fair share. Who's outlet gave Donovan a go during Algeria again? Better than most passes Donovan dished. His touch was poor against Ghana, and he was a ghost most games.

12. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi and Ronaldo probably have more touches. Even if they don't, they've done more with less touches. Messi controls a game. Ronaldo gets marked worse than Donovan. He still is very active. Donovan pouts on the wing, makes a run in, and disappears until someone earns a PK for him.

13. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't agree with the sentiment that the better team won today. It was a draw today and needed to go into extra time. We looked better for at least the same amount of time that Ghana. Ghana had the better of the match for the first 30 or so and then we started to look better.

They had better finishing and/or better goalkeeping. First goal should have been stopped by Howard but he was out of position. Second goal was a nice strike on a hopeful (to say the least) ball by Ghana. Really made something out of nothing.

We had our chances to finish (Altidore, Findley, Bradley to name a few) and some nice goalkeeping (vs Benny). Certainly wasn't our best match and yet we still could have (should have?) won.

Unfortunate that the starting line up cost us so much today. The subs were the right ones but probably should have been made on the opening card. We really should have gotten through to the quarters or semis this time. Big opportunity wasted.

BB - Thanks for the hard work over the past 4 years. A manager should only have a 4 year cycle so we will need a replacement over the next 6 months.

14. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to let the emotions and booze simmer for a day before I could post.

First, it was a good ride and I'm sorry it is over so quickly. When he tournament began my hope was to finish second, get to the round of 16 and most likely play Germany and bow out (glad we did not playing Germany, yikes). I have said all along that Bob Bradley's success or failure would all come down to what happens in South Africa, aka getting out of the group. He did that so I have to say his tenure was successful....but it is an empty feeling considering the opportunity to make a deep run. It would be hard to see another scenario like that in future WC's. Avoiding all the powers until the Semi's. Just thinking about it really bums me out. But alas, it is what it is...

Bob had a good run (Grade: B-) and I appreciate what he has done. That being said I would like a new manager for the next cycle. We'll see...

Finally, it is ridiculous that people criticize LD or Dempsey. They are our team and IMO they left all on the field. It's crazy how unappreciated theses guys are. The next cycle they will be on the wrong side of 30 and although I'm sure they will still be able to perform and lead the team, but we can only hope the next generation can fill those two shoes. In all seriousness, are there any young players out there that has that kind of potential?

15. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These next 4 years could be very kind to Mikey and Stu....

16. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team defense was horrible throughout the World Cup. Granted I can never see enough marking by the midfielders in transition, but often I'd look up and see no midfield support on defense...

Why against Ghana do we resort to long ball tactics when that plays right into their hands? The quick short passing game was eating them alive and generating foul opportunities for us... I knew once the long ball became dominate we were just hoping to get lucky instead of working for the goal. Especially since J.Altidore & Co. seemed to be gassed and no longer able/willing to fight for the long balls. Would like to have seen more on field leadership and recognition that we should have stuck to the short game.

We also seem to have reversed the recruiting trend where the NFL would recruit field goal kickers from soccer programs...

We had a golden opportunity this WC and failed to rise to the occasion... that said this WC was exciting to watch and I loved the fighting spirit of our fellas.

17. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    This is factually incorrect. Donovan was not inspired in open play, but solid. His free kicks were for the most part played into dangerous spots. He was far from poor in the match, although visibly spent towards the finish.

18. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why Bradley played Bornstein to get into the attack. When players join the attack and you don't use them, it negates them even being there. It has to trust his teammates and not be selfish in the midfield. When Dempsey didn't use him is when the attacks were wasted.

This long and stupid ranting is a waste of time. I said he was lazy in one specific context, getting back onside. None of these statistics you wasted your time finding have anything to do with that whatsoever.

19. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Please. This is not FIFA Street.

Donovan is tied for most goals in the entire tournament. He played excellent set pieces. He's been a dangerous passer. He's done all that with every team keying on him.

As ever, Donovan is victimized by fans who wished he was a superman, when the truth is he's just our most important player.

I continue to wish for SonsOfSamHorn-equivalent restrictions to USMNT N&A[/QUOTE]

My point is that he wasn't our most important player. Not top 3, probably not a top 5 performer. And many have seen the same thing throughout the WC.

Donovan is a victim of his own expectations. Should have kept his mouth shut until after the cup.[/QUOTE]

You've made your point over and over again. If anyone agreed with you they would have spoken up by now. Let it rest.

20. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    i think one of the thing Klinsiman mentioned in telecast is "first touch" and reason we lost last night's game. We know our players (Jozy, Bornstein, Findley, Clark, Demerit) lack that but yesterday it was really bad against faster and more aggressive team like Ghana.

I think fatigue had alot to do with the first touch. If you have tired legs, you lack that concentration. You lose alot of those "one and one" battle." I think alot of you who plays soccer would agree with me here. One of our strength is fitness and if we dont have that, we just dont have the skill to beat other teams.

21. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, when he was passed to on attack the attack was wasted. And as for selfish in midfield, that is one of his values for the team. He's good at moving the ball around for more than 2 seconds in the other team's half. And that "selfishness" created our only goal. I find it kind of strange to criticize, but I understand people see the game different ways.

This whole soccer board is a waste of time :D

Lazy in one context? What's that supposed to mean? He runs mile after mile, and you're claiming he saw the last defender move forward and was suddenly "too lazy" to get onside by running a few yards more? :rolleyes: I could accept that he messed up by not getting onside, but "too lazy"? I think "too exhausted" is more likely.

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked stretched and unimaginative.

Over the last 20 years since Italia '90 our defense was a scrappy rock. The guys like Dooley, Balboa 'n Pope had to be cuz we would be lucky to score and now here many years on with so much more talent in our nation it was our backline defense that came to Africa as a damn sieve! Who woulda thunk that?!?!

Black Star Footy to die in a damn Supernova.

23. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think on balance he played well and had a solid tournament and is critical to the success of the team. I just picked out a few things that illustrate why he's better playing forward on this team, than midfield and why he's not perfect. Somehow you see this as some sort of attack....it's just not black and white. It's not an issue of whether he's good or bad. Good players still have aspects of their game where they can do better.

That means when an attack fails and the attackers are in an offside position sometimes he just walks back up the field instead of hustling to get back onside before walking back. And thus if the team gets lucky and wins a ball right back at the midfield, the chance for the transition (from which many goals come) is lost because the player who has won the ball can't play it to him. In that one specific setting, he can be lazy and it can cost us. This is the point--I didn't accuse him of any general laziness, only of it in this one specific type of situation.

24. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. But the term "selfish" in this context was a criticism in the context of Bornstein, and IMO Bornstein was where attacks went to die. So it seemed to me it was more a matter of Dempsey losing trust in Bornstein.

Yeah, I guess I see that, but then I see that all the time from attacking players who have just sprinted all out to the opponent's half. And the fact that he had to do so much running although his natural endurance isn't that great makes it quite understandable if he just didn't have enough in his tank to hustle there too. Thus my issue with the term lazy.

25. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than several have. Other sites have noticed. MLS site didn't grade him out that well. Other posters in many threads have made the observation. Most EVERY game, an announcer made the comment that "Donovan's been quiet." He popped up in key spots, sure. But this WC wasn't that great for him.

I know he and Dempsey are the sparks for the team. Dempsey and others showed more the last couple of weeks, that's all.