USA, Canada, and Mexico 2026 World Cup Bid Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured it would be a decent idea to have a general catch all thread for this.

What we know so far...

• The USA will be co hosting with Canada and Mexico with the US getting 75% of the matches and everything beyond and including the quarterfinals.
    • Barring a change is rules, the deadline has passed and Morocco will be the only competitor.
    • The bid is scheduled to be awarded in May of 2020.

As far as stadiums go, the final bid (which is due in March) is expected to include anywhere from 20-25 stadiums. The following 49 were included in the preliminary bid today. For group and second round games stadiums are required to have 40,000 seats, 60,00 for quarter and semi final round game, and 80,00 for the final.

The 49 Stadiums in contention

USA:
    [​IMG]

Canada:

Calgary - McMahon Stadium - 35K (would be expanded to 46K)
    Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium - 56K
    Montreal - Stade Olympique - 61K
    Montreal - Stade Saputo - 20K (would be expanded to 40K)
    Ottawa - TD Place Stadium - 24K (would be expanded to 40K)
    Regina - Mosiac Stadium - 30K (would be expanded to 40K)
    Vancouver - BC Place - 55K
    Toronto - BMO Field - 28K (would be expanded to 40K)
    Toronto - Rogers Centre - 53K

Mexico:

Guadalajara - Estadio Chivas - 45K
    Mexico City - Estadio Azteca - 87K
    Monterrey - Estadio Rayados - 52K

Winoman repped this.
  2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I only see four cities on that list that are 99.9% locks for a US bid - New York, Dallas, Los Angeles, and San Jose.

Florida will get a city or two, but I don't think there's a favorite yet. Atlanta and Houston seem likely, unless USSF takes some chances with the allocation to the Southeast. If momentum doesn't build to replace Fedex Field in DC, then that gives every other city in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic a chance. USSF notably omitted Soldier Field in Chicago from the 2022 bid, so I hesitate to get behind any cities in the Midwest. Denver seems a favorite for the token Rocky Mountain city. The Southwest may have room for a 3rd city, but I don't see more than that. Seattle seems very likely if Canada picks Vancouver.