US women soccer players want equal pay to US men's team.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SUDano, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't "fair" subjective by definition?

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    <touches nose>

4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    " Fair is foul, and foul is fair:
    Hover through the fog and filthy air"

Is this the definition you mean?

5. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Your whole premise that those pushing against equal pay is tied to the quality of the play and losing to 15 year olds is wrong. That argument usually only gets trotted out when the argument that the women are superior soccer players to the men because they win gets trotted out. Both are stupid arguments that have no bearing on the conversation, and your Heath/Arriola argument comes dangerously close to that.

I am against equal for the sake of equal (although that seems to be the direction our country is moving in general, but that's another conversation for another time). If the women can generate more revenue than the men, then by all means they should earn more than the men. Professional athletics is an entertainment. People in the entertainment industry get paid for how much they entertain. You might be the best comedian known to man, but if nobody shows up to watch your performances, you don't get paid. You might be the best musician ever, but if you can't sell tickets to your concerts or sell your music or merchandise, you don't get paid. Conversely, you could be in a crappy pop band with a catchy song, and make millions more than the best musician ever. I would tell my 12 year old that's life.

WrmBrnr, GiallorossiYank, TxEx and 7 others repped this.
  6. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Right, but individual sports--which, other than tennis and golf, basically don't exist for 99.9% of Americans other than two weeks every 4 years (sounds like the USWNT, come to think of it)--vs teams that people follow on a continual basis isn't really an apt comparison.

As for tennis, I'm not a fan of the sport but I've heard people who are say that the women's game is actually more entertaining because of their lesser athleticism, specifically that they don't hit the ball as hard which leads to more back-and-forth action.

7. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Look at it this way. Some have suggested that USWNT should break from USSF and start their own deal (it will never happen, but let's go with it). In that case, which association would earn the money that comes from those games against other teams, and the Copa America money? You guessed it, it would all go in the MNT pot, every last penny. Who would earn the money from SheBelieves and ToN? Right again, the WNT. If you were to really separate it, there is just more money on the men's side.

This is an entertainment industry, where people are paid based on how much they entertain. Serious question for all those who believe in equal for the sake of equal: how much money have you spent on the USWNT (tickets mainly, jerseys and other apparel)?

8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Why don't WNBA players make the same as NBA players. Same rules......

9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    They don't want to break away because they are being subsidized beyond their direct revenue creation.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If they are the same sport then why don't they compete together. Why don't WNBA make the same as NBA players performing the same sport?

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    They are the stars because they draw more eyes and money. The soccer women are close and one day may draw more eyes and money.

12. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    $0 but still, if I’m out in public—nowhere near a soccer event, I’m more likely to run into a female wearing a uswnt kit than a male wearing a usmnt kit.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WNBA players all made more than Zion did last year.

This is the last response on this specific topic from me. I tried to help you by asking if you meant “competition.” It’s the same sport, and that’s just a fact and if you want to keep arguing, enjoy masturbating.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's not been my experience.

meyers, WrmBrnr, Burr and 2 others repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No-one is suggesting NWSL players make the same as MLS players.

16. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if woman want to be equal stop demanding male organizations to subsidize your sports

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure this thread needed virtue-signalling.

neems and superdave repped this.
  18. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't mean to offend you, BUT...that's just stupid.

19. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different employers.

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    False. The NBA owns the WNBA.

superdave repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Does the NBA pay their salaries?

22. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    #1747 HouseofCards, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't mean much. Most cases involve mediation at the early stages so each side can feel each other out regarding settlement, but it is very early for it to go anywhere.

If I were USSF, I would be sticking to my guns on this case because giving in will set a bad precedent for the future. The economic situation is certainly to change in the coming years. This was an uniquely revenue-poor cycle for the men, given that we didn't qualify for the World Cup. That's unlikely to repeat itself (we hope). If USMNT qualify for the WC, and the youth movement pays dividends with a substantially improved team, the tenuous women's revenue generation argument for the current cycle will be even less plausible.

At the same time, Europe is starting to catch up with the USWNT. It remains to be seen how long it will take for USWNT to be firmly knocked off their perched, but it seems inevitable. Consequently, the USWNT may eventually lose some of its luster, and consequently its economic pull.

All of this means that the economics of equal treatment may become even more disconnected from actual revenue performance in the coming years, and USSF giving into some firm commitment to equal pay may bite them in the ass when the men far outperform the women, revenue-wise.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

25. OfficeSpace