US vs. Brazil, Postgame Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by largegarlic, Sep 7, 2018.

1. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    I agree. A 4231 with Trapp and Adam could do well in my opinion. Provide extra cover against Lozano if he switches wings throughout the game. They both play in that formation at club.

napper repped this.
  2. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 4231 without Trapp would be even better.

Marius Tresor and Pragidealist repped this.
  3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'm not trying to dump on Trapp and I don't think anyone really is. I think there are just different ways to look at this #6. Armas, Mastroeni, Beckerman played the position much different than Bradley. Bradley had to start the past four years, every game. But he was no longer able to be an #8 and failed at being a #10. So, #6, because he had to play. He couldn't play as a double pivot, so his partner had to be sacrificed because Bradley had to play.

So, we have been playing with a soft #6 that can't tackle, stands in space but doesn't do much else defensively. Can hit a pass 1 of 3 times, rarely dangerous. Can drop behind the CBs needlessly, pass backwards.

Basically, the passing that Mastroeni and Beckerman could do. But none of the defensive plays of those two.

Trapp against Brazil was just about the same as Bradley has been giving us. Yes, he hit some passes, missed some. Mostly passed sideways and backwards safely. But he didn't make many defensive plays proactively, didn't look to be organizing the midfield, was exposed for poor defending and had to give a penalty.

Maybe Adams wouldn't connect a big diagonal twice a game. But he would be a defensive force like Pablo and Kyle. He can certainly pass the ball to Brooks, who can make those passes. In the Paraguay game, he combined well with Delgado.

The team needs offense. We have tried against Bosnia, Paraguay, Ireland, France, Brazil this Trapp at 6 system, with wingers than pinch in and runners from midfield, and we have three goals in 450 minutes. We need offense and moving a defensive DM back to the #6, and inserting a more forward moving CM would be one way to address it.

Adams moving back to the #6 makes room for Roldan, Acosta, or Delgado. I think Delgado could help us possess the ball into the opponents third. Roldan or Acosta might help our press. I think in general we are not pressing because Trapp showed against Paraguay he isn't good at it.

You could even move Green centrally and put Weah on the wing. There are things we can try. But designating Trapp as the new Bradley seems dumb.

4. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    True. Unlikely to happen though.

5. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    That statistic just about sums it up.

Wasnt exactly Bosnia A team or Paraguays for that matter.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been saying for a couple years now, when you don't have a legit international level DM, quit forcing a formation onto the team which includes one.

We do not need to play with a DM.

When you have a weak DM with little defensive presence, ala Bradley and Trapp, it anchors the other mids to their vicinity to cover for them. Throws off the entire shape.

And frankly, Adams and McKennie bring enough activity and work rate/presence that I'd pair them and try to put some creativity in front of them.

Your overly defensive American coach like Sarachan't just can't get off it. It's beyond annoying at this point.

And if we don't have the creativity, try to attack off winning possession with pacy wingers with some dribbling skills. That's why Amon, Gall, Mueller and Sabbi types should have been included.

Marius Tresor, comoesa, laxcoach and 2 others repped this.
  7. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Easy enough to say in the abstract but what happens when you're up against a strong, potent and well-balanced offense without a solid spine. The rest is just a wet noodle. It all builds from the center, in my opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hara_(tanden)

8. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Hard to really take anything from this game. We played a team that was obviously superior. We knew it coming in and we know it after-the-fact. We played decent team defense, helped each other out and all that, so maybe we built a bit of team unity. But, mostly I'm hoping to see what the kids can do against a young Mexico team to see what we really have here.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    DMs good enough to provide cover on their own and organize the attack when coming from defense are about as rare as left backs who can cross from the corner accurately.

Few lucky national teams got one: Brazil with Casemiro and France with Kanté come to mind. It's a blessing.

ChrisSSBB and DHC1 repped this.
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would just like for multiple different partnerships to be tried so that comparisons can be made. Don't want to go back to any player - even Pulisic - having to be there all the time and especially one player at one position (keeper excluded). It's not even prudent because if there's an injury or card then the team dosn't have anyone who's been used at that role. I feel like the midfield last cycle was set up to cover for Bradley's weaknesses but unless other players were used enough to get used to each other it's just a hunch. Don't want that to start up again. Use multiple players and get a feel for who is best in situations and against certain opponents. No one gets a free pass.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet Kante was a 2nd division player in France, until the age of 23 ... just 4 years ago. There are good DMs out there. You just have to appreciate what you have, and play a style that plays to your strengths. I don't see Kante as some brilliant organizer in the attack, but he is dogged and can complete enough forward passes to get the job done. We may have that player already, who just needs some seasoning ... like Kante himself did. But that player certainly is not Wil Trapp.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Interesting and I pray that you're right. Who do you think is our unpolished gem?

13. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I took more away than I was expecting to...

Brooks-Miazga is a CB pairing that has skill and chemistry. Add Yedlin and Robinson and that's a highly serviceable back line for CONCACAF qualifying.

Steffen looked like he belonged against Brazil. Made the saves he needed to. Kept in good communication with his defense. Looked every bit the confident leader we need in that position.

McKennie and Adams showed their quality and gave us some bite in the midfield. You're Brazil? Who gives a shit. We have missed that attitude in the center of the field. Very high on McKennie in particular. He keeps growing.

We continue to search for wide attackers and forwards. Save for Pulisic, the positions are there for the taking.

And to my non-professional eye, Trapp and Arriola are underrated for their defensive work. Arriola put on a clinic in reading Brazil's passing lanes and shutting them down on that side of the field. He needs to do more, of course, but when I saw that I knew why a D-minded Sarachan had him in that role.

Trapp showed well for the ball, played quickly, had clean touches, and ran a (nearly) mistake-free game from a position where you need 100%. He is the new Beckerman, with all the pros and cons that go along with that. Without a quality performance from the 6, the 4141 would've been overrun against Brazil. Did the job he was asked to do.

napper repped this.
  14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Hate to do it, but his passing was 81%, not 100%. He also gave away a penalty to a fullback in the box. Not Marcelo either...

Here is a new question. We are in WCQ, Pulisic is hacked down going forward. The ball is played up to the guy Trapp is suppose to mark. Does he:

1. Play his man, try and stop the counter, don't let him get by while defense gets set.
    2. Come in clean and hard and take the player out.

I'd bet Trapp, like Bradley, will do 1.

15. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    We miss Jermaine Jones way more than anyone seems to mention, exactly because in that situation Jones would make sure the play stops one way or another right then and there. We've got no one nasty around the middle of the park. Some hard workers willing to defend to be sure, but no one with an attitude to put the other team off their game at all.

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    C'mon, Patrick. Who in the roster would? WM/Adams aren't hard nosed at this point either.

Maybe I gave USS a hard time too early wrt irrational dislike of Trapp.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The most under rated USMNT team member ever!!!

TheHoustonHoyaFan and jond repped this.
  18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would never want a player that makes choice #2 over #1. Choice #2 gives the ref a chance to make a call that might include a card that could be yellow or red while choice #1 at least slows the play down and gives others the chance to recover.

Also in the situation you state #2 could produce a foul that looks like retaliation and again there is a good chance of a card.

Unfortunately a lot (majority) of the defenders available for the US are little more than thugs (Just like most of the MLS defenders even though some defenders come from elsewhere) so even option #2 is better than giving responsibility to the back line where giving up a cardable foul and/or a PK is a real possibility every time the defense must defend a fast counter attack.

I wish we (the US) had a defense that could really play defense but we don't and that means that the mids have a greater than normal defensive responsibility which translates into a poorer attack.

None of this will ever change until the US begins teaching and developing real defenders at young ages and does not always stick the big clumsy kid in the middle of the defense. I cannot remember the last time I saw a US developed central defender playing defense.

I think Trapp could be a good central mid BUT he, nor anyone else, will never be such until there is a defense behind him that is worthy of the name.

19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, one of Jermaine Jones’s best talents was making 100% card worthy tackles but somehow coming away without one, He would scythe a player down then quickly extend a hand, give a “didn’t mean it” look to the ref, etc., etc. and somehow a card was never awarded. I really think he had a way of influencing refs.

DHC1 repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Waves hand......"This is not the foul you are looking for"

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Do you watch the games? How many fouls on Pulisic drew cards? I didn't say go studs up; just a clean tackle a professional foul.

Take a yellow card. Bradley was so worried about getting a second yellow that he played like a turnstyle for the last half of the Hex. As if he wasn't on the field we couldn't compete. If Acosta takes a yellow against Mexico, maybe we win. Instead, he "ole's" Chicharito and allows the counter to go by him. Nagbe never drew a card or probably fouled anyone. Meanwhile, Pulisic is barely walking out of a game we won 4-0.

22. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018

I encourage you to look at this thread and then get back to me... Let's be real Trapp is not the answer. Nothing personal against the guy but he is just not good enough. His passing which is what he is known for is NOT ace. Put in Acosta who is similar in technique but better in attack, better athleticism, and better at set pieces. Drop Adams in that 6 role where he himself says is his best position and be our version of Kante

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly the most underrated.

Saw him in person play before Brazil WC and he's one of the most impressive athletic and physically gifted footballers I've ever seen.

Watching on tv doesn't do him justice.

Top 5 American of all time.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and Marius Tresor repped this.
  24. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #349 Marius Tresor, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    And why in the world is Trapp the captain? You have Brooks and Yedlin, who have actually played meaningful minutes in an actual World Cup, and Trapp is the captain? Neymar seemed to be laughing when they shook hands in the tunnel pregame, like who the f is this dude. I am pretty sure the reaction would be different if it were Brooks as captain. This is just amateur hour stuff. Sarachan should not get the permanent job based on this decision alone.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  25. Well, you have to put in a plane then, as according to my info neither Lozano or Gutierrez is playing because they're in Eindhoven.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.