US v. Mexico: The Class [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by NBlue, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take nothing away from Mexico's play of futbol on the pitch. They played smart, insightful futbol and deserved the result.

However, in classic fashion Mexico displayed the complete lack of class that makes them continue to look like total jackasses win or lose. The twist on Davies head when he was on the ground was completely classless and could have easily been more than just yellow as was the shot to Benny's neck afterward. The ref completely lost control of the match by letting Mexico get away with every cheap shot in the book and it was not particularly surprising to watch.

That said, Mexico plainly deserved to win. Still, even in victory, they are a team without class. Clearly.

2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about the piss ant running up to gooch after he was fouled and going at his head. WTF are these jackasses thinking?

mexico as far as soccer goes lack all class, some of the dirtiest players i have ever seen.

3. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would take 3 points over "class" all day every day. Moral victories are for losers.

s7kru, LGRod and Miss Webous repped this.
  4. MNGalaxy

MNGalaxy Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The contrast of class when we play some of these countries makes me proud to be an American.

5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Exactly. You want to show up a team for not having "class"? Win the game. Until the U.S. can develop players that gave the skill and guts to win big matches, class is meaningless.

6. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wtf does class and moral victory have to do with each other? did anyone say the US walked out of azteca with a moral victory? hell no, they deserved to lose with the way they played. but the mexicans were dirty little ********s who only know how to win one way, with that pathetic play.

was there even a card during the whole fight when they went after davies? someone should have gotten at least a yellow for that shit.

7. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To each his own.

However, I said nothing about a moral victory as there was none today. All I pointed out was that Mexico played with a lack of class -- as they typically do win or lose against the US.

8. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Edited due to racism.

9. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent point.

[​IMG]

Sincerely,
    The US 2002 World Cup Squad.

Oh, by the way, even after the victory Mexico moves all the way up to 3rd place in the CONCACAF standings . . . just below, um, who?

10. MNGalaxy

MNGalaxy Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old are you?

11. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice ethnic slur.

As for time wasting, what do you expect? They are trying to win after all.

Welcome to football.

12. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    2nd racist slur. Third and you're banned.

13. anonymous guy

anonymous guy Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Their lack of class shows very poorly on their country. I have never been to Mexico and I know little about the country, but the way they play and the fact that police in the stadiums have to carry riot gear makes me think that it is not a great country.

Once again, i am not trying to insult Mexicans just making an observation

14. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Old enough not to whine about another team's level of "class" after watching my favorite team get outplayed yet again.

15. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know damn well, that its used against the hispanic race.

Stop trying to defend yourself.

16. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think others are missing the point. Mexico does play without class. Anyplace outside of CONCACAF or especially Azteca, these guys are pants, pure and simple.

For example, if Mexico played like this against the US in South Africa, they would have ended the match with 10 men.

17. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Piss off. I'll give them a break the second they stop calling us 'gringos'. Dont dare make fun of them, their appearance or ethnicity in anyway, but when it comes to us, its all fair game.

18. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ironic that you post in a thread about class.

By your logic I should start using derogative American terms because you have no qualms with using ethnic slurs yourself.

So what do we get? A society in which everything goes.

19. MNGalaxy

MNGalaxy Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You honestly think that class is meaningless?

20. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The repect given by class obviously isn't meaningless. But I think his point is that why whine about the "class" of the Mexican team when there are other reasons why the American team lost. Just looks like a non-issue cropping up.

Why try and improve the image of Mexican football? Thats upto Mexicans do decide. If it affects world football, then FIFA can issue a disrepute charge. What happens then? Pretty much every team is guilty of timewasting, diving, dishonesty.

21. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    In sports?

Pretty much. You can pretty much pick out examples in any game (both teams) of poor "class." Hell, as much I respect Donovan's skill and work ethic, I have to admit that it's not uncommon to see him be a bit of a drama queen after being taken down. Doesn't bother me, though. Embellishment and other forms of gamesmanship are part of the game. I'm interested in seeing the team win games, not etiquette debates.

22. MNGalaxy

MNGalaxy Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He literally said "class is meaningless". Later, he tried to make another point. Obviously, class isn't the reason why we lost. This discussion isn't about why the U.S. lost. Discussing the class of a national team is a fair discussion to have.

23. MNGalaxy

MNGalaxy Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously gamesmanship is a part of the game. I'm not concerned with time wasting. When a player is on the ground you don't pull him up. If you're not interested in etiquette debates, why are you in one? By the way, please point out examples of "poor class" exhibited by the U.S. today. After all, "You can pretty much pick out examples in any game (both teams) of poor class."

24. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his point was that talk of "class" and it's absence thereof, is the stuff that the team that loses, seems to wish to discuss.
    Had we won, this would have been less of an issue.

25. MNGalaxy

MNGalaxy Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is fine if that is your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more.