US Soccer Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by soccersubjectively, May 14, 2012.

1. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? How does someone who got kicked out of office for embezzlement get on the HOF ballot?

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "That's football."

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think starting the MLS preseason off with a Hall of Fame game, like the NFL would be awesome. Do the introductions on the same weekend as the official start to the preseason. That would likely be somewhere where the weather would be conducive to a soccer match in late January/Feburary. That or have the January USMNT Camp match coencide with the inductions. I vistied the Hall in Onenota once, I used to live near Rochester. It was pretty neat, but not really along the road to anywhere except between Binghamton and Albany.

What about Bradenton, FL? It could be one more thing for the many tourists to do in the area?

ChrisE and soccersubjectively repped this.
  4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can throw out any potential city you like, and you can find pros and cons about all of them, probably.

But until and unless someone plunks down the cash to build a new facility and is willing to fund its operations for a while and make up the inevitable shortfalls, the discussion is completely and utterly moot. And if someone does decide to do that, where they decide to put the thing is where it'll be put.

5. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They kind of had a HoF game in DC by announcing HoF inductees before the Germany game. But that was also celebrating the 100 years.

6. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd guess that the closest thing to a HoF game in 2013 was the US-Jamaica game in Kansas City. Moore and Vermes were inducted before that game. They were announced as the 2013 inductees in early April, about two months before the US-Germany game?

7. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wait... I may be thinking of Brazil in DC, 2012. Was that Meola and Armstrong?

8. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had the 2011 class Cobi Jones, Eddie Pope,Earnie Stewart, Bruce Murray and Bob Gansler introduced and induction ceremony at Gillette before the US/Spain debacle

soccersubjectively repped this.
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hararea and msilverstein47 repped this.
  10. sandro710

sandro710 Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Windber, PA
    Surprised that Scurry did not get in.

11. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always thought it was 50/50 whether Scurry would get in on the first try.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think she will. I think she deserves it (her accomplishments are outstanding ). There were a lot of good folk on there.

Until I see vote totals, though, I can't gauge her chances in the short-term.

(Nobody got in on the Veterans Ballot.)

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hararea repped this.
  16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Myernick's premature death was very sad, but his list of accomplishments just seems way too short to me.

17. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I wonder what people wanted from Hejduk. Over 80 caps, captaincy of a double-winning MLS team, and two very good World Cups.

Then again, Scurry was ignored again, so there you go. I have a feeling we won't see these voting totals, either.

18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I'm sure that Frankie will get in eventually, but his main problem is that he wasn't that much of a standout. He spent a very long time as a national team squad member, but apart from the two World Cup years, he was rarely one of our first-choice starters. Also, despite spending a dozen seasons in MLS, he was never good enough to earn a single spot in the league's Best XI.

Btw, I think it's time for MLS to start its own hall. The US hall clearly doesn't value the league's ground-breaking players.

19. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe so, but...I think Myernick is an odd case. His playing accomplishments put him on the players eligibility list, but not with a lot of room to spare. His coaching accomplishments were not enough to put him on the builders eligibility list (although maybe they would have been if he had lived longer). The combination of the two does seem to me to add up to a Hall of Fame-worthy career, but there is no "combination" category. You have to get in as either a player or a builder. So I have to problem with Myernick getting in as a player, even though his real worth comes in the combination.

I am disappointed that Scurry and Milbrett didn't get in.

20. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Says more about Best XIs than it does about Hejduk. MLS Best XIs are largely anti-defender.

It looks like you're right. I thought Agoos and Preki were elected on their MLS accomplishments, but apparently there are people who were impressed enough with the national team career of Jeff Agoos that it outshines the MLS accomplishments of Jamie Moreno.

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Be that as it may, Robin Fraser made five Best XIs and Jimmy Conrad made four of them. And while outside backs have gotten less recognition, it's also arguably the least valuable position on the field.

Not sure I'm following you. I'll grant that Preki may be an exception, but guys like Valderrama and Etcheverry were vitally important to early MLS and in my view are far more worthy of recognition than many of the long-forgotten NASL players in the hall.

As for Agoos, he had a great MLS career, but without such a high cap total I think he'd be in the same territory as Fraser, Ralston, and Armas right now.

22. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I was unclear - yes, I agree with you, voters are wrongly passing over MLS stars. I would have said that Agoos and Preki were exceptions - but if that were the case, Moreno, Kreis, Fraser and Ralston would be in, too.

Just to continue the Best XI argument - sure, Fraser and Conrad made a bunch of best XIs. They were awesome. That's why I voted for Fraser and considered Conrad. It doesn't change the fact that usually best XIs are 3-4-3, or 3-5-2, with three central defenders. (Midfields also tend to lack d-mids. If you line up a Best XI against an ordinary MLS team, ordinary MLS team would win six out of seven times.)

Hejduk, meanwhile, got some attention for best USMNT outside back of all time, back when that was a topic. A player who's in the conversation for all-time national team best at two positions (because left back and right back are different positions, right?) should be in the Hall, even before we get to MLS.

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Fwiw, next year Brandi Chastain apparently comes eligible, so it figures to be another landslide.

Did Valderrama remove his name from consideration for the Veteran's ballot, or did he simply finish behind all-time greats like Shep Messing and Mike Burns?