US/Portugal - Manaus - 6/22/14

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Dec 11, 2013.

1. William Reynolds

Nov 7, 2013
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On my way to Manaus looking for one ticket still. Cat 3 if you've got it.

2. BTFOBI

BTFOBI New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    New Haven
    I'm traveling with a group of 11 people, and we're in Salvador. One of our members broke his leg and can't make it because he had to have emergency surgery. We're staying with him in Salvador, so we'll miss the game in Manaus. Is there any gathering of USMNT / America fans in Salvador? We'll all be in Recife if all goes well, but we'd love to watch the game with some of our own.

3. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where is the watch party in Natal for USA-Portugal??

MacPhistoTerp repped this.
  4. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Stuck in London for work.

Does anybody know of a good bar or two where there will be a big USA crowd?

5. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    There should be plenty around, considering how many Yanks could not make it to Manaus.

6. William Reynolds

Nov 7, 2013
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where can I buy fireworks here?

7. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Looking forward to hearing some stories of how it went at the game guys. C'mon post something!

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go stand in your shower but then start running your own sweat through the pipes. Once your skin is all shriveled up and you have soaked through your shorts... You'll have the experience.

Horsehead, Blythe and SpencerNY repped this.
  9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    So. Ok....i think i am ready to discuss this. This is the opposite of feeling of being at Algeria game. Holy roller coaster ride this.

Disregard, getting picked up in hotel monaco lobby now for jungle tour. Sorry, will send in 2 days.

Great game, incredible crowd, sucky result. Oh, and it is humid.

10. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it that the AO travelers had to sleep in the airport because of a F-up with the charter.

11. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Haha, fair enough! For me at least, ESPN's coverage of the games has been excellent, but they haven't really attempted to impart the Brazilian flavor of this WC upon us. The games could be in Houston or Miami and you really couldn't tell the difference.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone woke me up around 3am trying to get me on the charter. I guess they thought they were the only ones sleeping that night there.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Brazilians want anybody but us to win. I don't know if they've imparted that.

14. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From tweets, it sounds like they are still at the airport so maybe you are talking about a different one? Either way it's pretty crazy.

15. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    No, that hasn't come through. The crowd from yesterday seemed pretty pro-US.

Blythe repped this.
  16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was us fans taking over the stadium. The Brazilians are mostly quiet until Ghana or Portugal scored and then they went wild.

SpencerNY repped this.
  17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it was a different plane but the one I was sleeping next to was one of the AO group's.

I'm just glad to be out of Manaus. My hotel looked like a scene for a movie where you wake up in the bath tub without a kidney b

ACGreen and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  18. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's good to hear then (about the plane, not you losing a kidney).

19. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Plane 1 had gotten out early morning but Plane 2 hadn't.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one good thing about the AO package seemed to be he charter flights. So far that seems completely off.

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  21. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Brazilians say they are impressed with how many us folk have shown up. And everyone's been super nice outside the stadium. But at the ghana match the Brazilian crowd seemed very much to be on ghana's side. I wasn't in manaus. But I expect it was similar. And will be more of the same in recife.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong everybody is friendly.

El Chuma repped this.
  23. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with RealCorona. Everybody was extremely hospitable, but the neutrals were always against the US in the game. Portugal is obvious, especially with CR7 and all of the women in the crowd. My wife tells me that Brazil neutrals always pull for African teams as a rule.
    Anyway - nobody from a soccer power wants to see the US do well. Its the one thing they have on us.

Yanqui go home!

El Chuma repped this.
  24. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Heres my review on the portugal experience:

Manaus: Surprisingly interesting town. Wild west vibe to it, didnt know what expect. The city did a good job of setting up the Theater square area with huge screen, bars, music, etc. well done. @Riker , had a fantastic experience at Bar Armando on the square, setup impromptu (and awesome) guitar and drummer, turned into great street party. Super good time.

Pregame: biggest disappointed here to be honest. AO didnt organize anything instead they chose to tag onto USSoccer's organized event 10km away from stadium. I didnt attend it so cant speak to it. But this was a major missed oppty by AO. As if they didnt do any prep work on this, lazy. We went to plaza el dorado near the stadium and it was a PERFECT spot for an AO event. Thx @Riker for the rec. The crowd of about 100 was awesome, some dude had US inspired playlist jamming on the big speakers, and yes i danced to miley cyrus and sang my heart out. Good, albeit small, march to stadium. Sorry but shame on AO for doing nothing in Manaus.

Stadium: Nice new stadium, lines not too bad. Good seats. The US fans were loud and organized, and the boys played as good as i have ever seen. Too bad the final minute.. Complete gut punched. Made the post game a real downer.

Thats all.

Riker and William Reynolds repped this.
  25. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I am guessing that we partied together on a multiple occasions, as I was at that impromptu party at Bar Armando on Friday night, as well as the pregame at El Dorado on Sunday, specifically at the one with the guy rocking the US-inspired playlist. El Dorado was basically a perfect pregame spot. It's too bad that AO/US Soccer didn't set up something there, but we still had a few hundred Americans joining in on the fun. I checked out the official Fan HQ party from about 12-1, and it was a bit awkward because the players families were eating a fancy meal (at wedding-style tables) within feet of the main bar areas.