Rumor: US player on trial with Hammarby

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by gvsu, Nov 25, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't he start doing some sort of advanced accounting or finance type training the last couple of years? Or was that someone else?

Good luck to Banks in his Euro quest.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  3. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  6. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    This week JC Banks is training with Trelleborgs FF, his third and final club on his swedish tour. Unlike the previous two clubs they belong in the top division and even though they are a small town club they finished in an impressive fifth place last season. Unfortunaly the main coach is out with Pneumonia during his trial. The assistant only commented shortly that he thought Banks was generally a good player. The club also said that one of their most trusted scouts had recommended Banks to them.

Banks said in an interview with the local media that he thought the pace during training was much higher at Trelleborg then the previous two clubs. He also noted that the pace and physical part is much different from what he is used to in College. He repeated that he wants to play in Sweden and that he thinks he can succeed there. He described himself as a quick player with goalscoring ability.

A Trelleborg fan wrote online:
    I can guarantee that JC Banks will play in the swedish league if he wants to. I had the privilege of seeing him live. He reminds me of Drugge (important player who they just sold) but with a better attitude. Good one on one and a powerful shot.

7. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    An update: Trelleborg signed a brazilian as their new number ten a few days ago.

9. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Don Garber! How could he lets this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

If he doesn't improve enough to move on to a bigger league, he'll be back in 3 years when his non-EU reduced tax status expires.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No tax reduced status in Sweden.

But if you have to stary off in Division 2, then them are the breaks.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is great for him to have options.

13. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Hammarby chief of sports Charlie Grauers commented on JC Banks contract proposal today in swedish media:

"It's totally plucked out of thin air. He had a trial with us but it's nothing we are pursuing. There is a MLS-draft underway and I believe his agent made the announcement to put pressure on the MLS clubs."

Maybe also of interest for posters here he then says:

"I'm leaving for the US right now to discuss our needs with AEG (Hammarby part owner). Chris Klein (Hammarby board member) has alot of contacts and can help us sportswise. I want to point out that I'm not going to be begging for money, this meeting will be about our sporting needs, both short and long term. It's no secret that we need one or two forwards."

And then then the article finishes by saying that Hammarby will go together with Chris Klein to the Combine to see if they can find any good forwards there.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hammarby ain't much of an option these days.

But it's interesting to see if Chris Klein's two hats can work in unison here.

15. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010

Klein apparantly arrived in Sweden earlier this week, he gave an interview with Sportbladet where they of course also asked him about Beckham :rolleyes::

"David is a good guy and I talk to him all the time. About his experiences in international football and how to handle passionate fans like Hammarbys. I lean on him in every way and use his experiences. Of course we and Hammarby want to find every way to help each other. I have met with their chief of sports in Florida and explained our system to him. Maybe there is something that can help Hammarby. We will evaluate but we've only scratched the surface so far."

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It took Chris no time to master the art of saying nothing.

18. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
  19. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvRz6FjOrD8"]YouTube - JC Banks plays and score for BK Häcken[/ame]

JC Banks played the full 90 minutes today when BK Häcken won their second straight game 3-1. With this result they have qualified for the final of the tournament which will be played on sunday.

After the game the manager commented that he liked what he saw of Banks and especially the fact that he can play in all four attacking positions. He also stated that the trial will be three weeks long.

20. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a nice indoor facility as well.

21. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    JC Banks played the first 75 minutes today against danish team Aalborg. The game ended 2-2 and reports are saying that he played well and was involved in Häckens first goal. He will stay with the club for the rest of the week and then a decision will be made. The manager said that he has gotten a positive impression of the player.

JC Banks commented after the game:
    "I'm drafted by Toronto but I would rather play in Allsvenskan. The MLS will still be there in the future but right now I want to try the adventure of playing in Sweden."

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I'm glad that he believes in the solid business plan and longevity of Major League Soccer :D

23. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010

[​IMG]

Some quotes from the manager on JC Banks after yesterdays game:
    "He did well, assisted the first goal and showed good understanding playing one or two touch football. A wise player, he hasn't been here long but he understands the codes of football. We are looking for someone who can play on the wings and from that perspective his speed and crosses are interesting qualities. We're going to make a sportswise evaluation of him and then we will see what happens with the economical parts."

24. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    His trial is over now and he will not be getting a contract. BK Häcken commented that he is a good player and a great guy but that he is not quite good enough to be able to compete with the players that they already have.

25. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Hmmm I wonder if he still thinks this?

I'm sure he can get another trial with a team in Sweden or somewhere else such as Denmark or Norway.