US Open Cup 1st Round

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by Ed NYC Firm, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    June 14 at 7PM

Home against Western Mass Pioneers (PDL) to be played at Adelphi University.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any Idia on who would be the round 2 match up, if they win?

3. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Brooklyn Knights / NY Pancyprian Freedoms
    vs.
    Western Mass Pioneers/FC New York

4. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    winner of the next match faces RBNY.

I'm hoping its FCNY, that should be interesting. I'm curious as to how many of their fans would show up to RBA.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All 300 of them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0AAhj6L2fE&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Meet the Spartans: Stomp The Yard‬‏[/ame]

6. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I am beginning to think Ed NYC Firm is their only fan. RBA will need to give him his own section.

7. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The only fan who is apparently a Bigsoccer geek.

Doubt I'll go the RBA, wouldn't want to give a company that destroyed my former MLS team a penny. ( that and it's not exactly a fast trip back to Forest Hills ).

8. stupidslap

stupidslap Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does anybody know if season ticket holders get tickets to this or do we have to buy them? And how did you know the game was at adelphi? I haven't seen any info on this game.

9. Melchior2432

Melchior2432 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first round pairings were announced on US Soccer's website.

10. KickOffOnline

KickOffOnline New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I wonder if the "Grapple For The Apple" trophy will make an appearance...

11. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...perhaps FCNY will get a chance to "finish off" (o apuntillar) Red Bull...

12. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Match moved to Met Oval in Maspeth and if you have your ticket stub from the Richmond match you get in free.

13. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Who let the sheep shagger in ? .. :D:p

14. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulling for FCNY which would ensure that a local team plays RBNY in the 3rd round.

Last year we had a similar situation, but Harrisburg ended up in the 3rd round...

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCNY wins the 1st round 3-0...
    Freedoms leading 1-0 in the 65th min

3rd round will be FCNY/Bk Italians/Panc Freedoms vs Red Bull (unless the USSF changes the bracket allocations)

17. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Jhonny Arteaga Hat trick puts FCNY through to the next round of the USOC

Oh I read that it's not locked in that the winner of the Freedoms v FCNY match will play Energy Drink. The Bracket could put the winner up against Columbus.

18. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first half, Pancyprians looked like professionals. They dominated with killer through balls and the right back (forgot his name since he's not a St.John's player) was getting burnt nearly every possession. FCNY was lucky to not be down a goal or two, and on top of that they went a man down after Graciano Brito slid from behind to stop a breakaway attempt. After the red card things seemed to settle down, with both teams getting their chances, but neither team scored. Pancyprians seemed to be tired toward the end and throughout the extra time, and FC had a few chances in the first half of extra time. The second went by pretty dull.

FC won on penalties (I believe 6-5) but if one were asked to pick which team were the professionals, they'd be left guessing. Pancyprians looked better individually and as a team.

Pancyprians were the home team for this one. It's safe to say around 1000 people showed up, with 950+ of them being Greeks. Big payday for the amateur club, charging 10 bucks for GA tickets.

Apuntillar? Don't think so.

19. Colonel Sounders

Colonel Sounders New Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This was the first FCNY game I've attended, I'm a Sounders fan who recently moved out to New York and I really miss watching live soccer matches. I'm definitely interested in attending FCNY games but I have some questions as their website isn't exactly the most user friendly place on the internet.

Sorry for the question dump but I appreciate any help you guys have:

-How much are tickets to regular season games? I e-mailed the address on their website but haven't heard back.

-Is there a supporters section or supporters group at FCNY matches?

-Are there FCNY scarves or kits available at home games?

-Do the concessions serve beer (I assume no) or is there a bar near the stadium that people meet at before the matches?

-Are there any nicknames for FCNY? (the Blues, City, something along those lines)

I watch Sounders games at a bar with other ECS members in NYC but I've got live match withdrawal and since there's no pro/rel I don't have to worry about FCNY ever playing Seattle. (unless this Open Cup run takes a surprising turn)

20. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    "-How much are tickets to regular season games? I e-mailed the address on their website but haven't heard back."

I'm a Season ticket holder but I believe it's $12. The best person to contact at their office is Natalie Akula. NAkula@FCNewYorkSoccer.com

"-Is there a supporters section or supporters group at FCNY matches? "

No. But I tend to be one of the louder fans.. ;)

"-Are there FCNY scarves or kits available at home games?"

They do have kits for sale at matches ( I have one ). Not sure about scarves.

"-Do the concessions serve beer (I assume no) or is there a bar near the stadium that people meet at before the matches?"

No, I believe it's because St Johns is a dry campus. The Sly Fox is a couple blocks away on Union turnpike.

"-Are there any nicknames for FCNY? (the Blues, City, something along those lines)"

I kind of like the idea of calling them the Sky Blues but being there is a WPS team of that name I don't think it would work. I've heard others yell "Come On FC" which really doesn't make much sense to me.

"I watch Sounders games at a bar with other ECS members in NYC but I've got live match withdrawal and since there's no pro/rel I don't have to worry about FCNY ever playing Seattle. (unless this Open Cup run takes a surprising turn)."

That's cool that there is a Seattle SC in town how many do you usually get out for a match ?

I'm usually at the top of the endline stand right near the enterence if you want to say hi. Wouldn't mind someone else at the match who as a pulse.. ;)

21. Villegas was a God

Villegas was a God New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I went to the game on tuesday just to see who we would be playing. I have to say that I found it hard to believe that FCNY were a 2nd Division, and theoretically professional club. Seriously, the were wearing training bibs over black shirts. I am not talking about the play on the field. There seemed to be commitment there. But that is where it ended. I assume Pancyprian were the host since they had the whole crowd and were the ones taking the admissions. But isn't it FCNY's home ground too. No presence whatsoever there. I am not trying to be a dick, but what is the deal?????

22. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a shame, because at the first press conference there was a scarf draped across the podium. Look at the slideshow of the bottom of the page and you'll see it. Nice one, too.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/2011/15255248.html#MAIN

23. Colonel Sounders

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Pancyprian was the home team for that match, so that's why there were so many of their fans there. I had been hoping for more of a presence from FCNY fans at the game but there didn't really seem to be any at all which was disappointing. Having the concessions run by the Greeks meant the food was pretty good though!

The reason for the black shirts and bibs was because the ref deemed their sky blue kits too similar to the Freedom's dark blue and apparently FCNY didn't bring their away jerseys. I got to briefly see them in their actual uniforms and they looked good.

24. Colonel Sounders

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Thanks for the info! I'm not sure yet if I'll be out there for Friday's game but I'll let you know. It was fun to watch a match in person, especially since they won.

It depends on the day but I'd say we usually average probably 10-15 people watching the games. We brought over 100 to the away match at RBA earlier this season.

EDIT: Just noticed the game on Friday is at Adelphi so I don't think I'll be making out there.

25. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm not going to that one either. Will be out of town for the weekend. Let me know if you want to go to the USOC match on Tuesday. I've changed my mind and I've decided I'll go.