US - Mexico Watch Party

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by VioletCrown, Feb 5, 2008.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copying from the USL forum (since the mods missed that thread):

I hereby declare our meeting place to be Mother Egan's, 715 W. 6th St. (Google Map) I double checked with them, and any music they have will be outside, so we're in the clear.

See y'all Wednesday night!

I'm planning on being there as early as 7 to get dinner. The food I had there last time was pretty good.

It turns out that the PRE GAME is at 8, the kickoff is at 8:30. It's probably a good thing that they've planned a half hour pregame -- UT - OU bball is on before that. So there's one more reason for y'all to join us at Mother Egan's. I guess. If you care. UT's been playing pretty poorly lately, so the extra half hour will hopefully not be needed, and can be all soccer.

2. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to join you all, but I'll be at the game with Sam's Army! I expect a report if anything significant happens in terms of a supporters group!

3. The Liquidator

May 22, 2006
    Tigres UANL---Dynamo
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll look for you on the tube!

Of course, we have no idea what to look for, so we'll speculate wildly.

5. catchyusername

Jun 4, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. I'll be there for the next game though. ;)

6. The Liquidator

May 22, 2006
    Tigres UANL---Dynamo
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i'm gonna get a big messy plate of chips and HP sauce. sorry hangover talk, have future foods on the brain of course i couldn't possibly eat anything at the moment, hope it passes by game time :D

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hair 'o the Dog!

8. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not having met any of you before, unless ME's is empty, how am I going to recognize you all. I know, the drunk noisy ones. But, seriously. Some clue about clothes or something?

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be obvious. I'll have a Sam's Army scarf.

And if it gets warm enough in there, I'll remove my sweater and flannel shirt and be sporting a Sam's Army t-shirt.

Geeky enough for you?:D

10. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be by the guy in the Sam's Army scarf and/or t-shirt. ;)

Think Rawlins or anyone from the Aztex will stop by to buy a round? Or would that take the "independent" out of "independent supporters group"? :D

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they're clearly lurking here. Or at least, did sometime after their announcement. So they probably know where we're going to be.

I have a small hope that they'll show up with some t-shirts for us. But I haven't heard anything, and haven't asked.

It'd be cool to have a t-shirt.

But it's also nice being independent. Easier to bitch about things:)

12. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @#$@!$ I'm at work late tonight. I'll get there asap, but it's not looking good. At least they have us a tv here though. crap

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, the game doesn't actually start until 8:25.

14. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about missing guys. Did we get anything hammered out?

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. I don't know if we scared people away with our scarves, but there were only a couple of us there from here, as far as I know. And, of course, I've already failed to connect BS handles with real world names. Chris, who does the Aztexans blog was there.

However, the pub was full of people rooting for the US -- not packed, but full enough that someone (other than us) shouted to get the sound on. I'd say there were at least 30 or so folks in there -- and one respectfully quiet guy wearing a Mexico jersey:D

I don't know at all how it would've been at Fado's but I have to say that as far as I'm concerned, Mother Egan's is the place to gather. It felt really good being in a place were people were showing up to watch the US play.

Who knows, maybe there's a bunch of lurkers in here. Or something viral happened.

I've just done a little searching trying to find a next event to gather around. Maybe we just need to pick a day and not have a particular reason.

And keep talking over on the SG thread.

16. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well. Sounds like we need to get together specifically for the purpose of working on a supporter's group, like you said. Central seems to be a good thing, since it sounds like there are people south. Fado, Mother Egan's, Ringers, and Copa (on Congress) are all places that I have had good experience with soccer-wise and which I am therefore willing to support. So depending on what people want to do (read: eat and drink), any of those is an option of sorts, some better than others.

On the non-central side we could do something up at Plucker's or whatever that pub is by Soccer Post on 183 and Burnet. I haven't seen Northside on this forum, but I figure he has at least a related interest, since he's selling gear.

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pluckers is indeed covering the right Post.

Over around the corner from Soccer Post is Bagpipes, which also has the Fox Soccer Channel -- watched the big FCD - DCU disaster there last year, the one that pretty much defined the end of the season for the Hoops. Some might appreciate the waitresses' outfits, but I felt sorry for them. They were pretty harried (there was a UT football game as well as a big Kansas (State?) game and I saw more than one of them having to wrestle to keep things in up top.)

They get a big plus, though, for actually freeing a TV for us to watch the game despite the droves of Longhorns and fans of the Kansas team.

All that aside, yeah, I'll go over to the other thread and start up discussion of a next meeting and where.

18. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, that's me; TwoMeters = Chris = "C" :)

It was a bit of a light turnout, and nobody from the Aztex came around to buy us beer ;), but I had a good time. It seemed to me that the majority of the patrons were at least partially watching the game, and it was on most of the TVs (I think).

Just let me know when & where the next get-together is!

19. The Liquidator

May 22, 2006
    Tigres UANL---Dynamo
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yeah, that was me. There was no way I was going to let them get away with showing the game with no sound :D (although they were playing good tunes)

I brought about 13 people with me, whom had varied support between Mexico & U.S. ...I recommend the curried chips

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah-ha!

Thanks for bringing the crowd! (I was going to try to post something cool about you having an entourage, but I'm way past knowing the current phrases, so I'd only look stupid)

And I recommend the curried chicken sandwich!

21. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reliant Stadium was a lot like that. In reverse.