US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Thanks. That was nice.

FCD sold Chris Richards to BM. I think $3 mil transfer fee and he is getting $500k each year for 3 years.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Hot take, but I’d rather see what Melia can offer than call in Hamid, if we’re talking depth options

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Poor guy. Late bloomer and 0 shot with the NT. If only he was Canadian or a Kiwi.

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Sounders fan I considered him a solid #2. He makes some great reaction saves, but screws up basic goal keeper plays.

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Hamid's place in the goalkeeper of the year voting has an odd trend. He was 1st in 2014, but was then 4th, 5th, 6+ and then 6+ this year with only half a season (20ish games). A number of goalkeepers have passed him by and he doesnt look to have improved much if any since he was 23/24... goalkeepers primes vary, maybe Hamid's was 24 yo.

What makes you think he is going to improve when he is in the exact same place where he hasnt taken a step forward for the last 4 years? I am also not convinced that he wont have already begun to decline by 32. His game heavily relies on his athleticism and he has been quite injury prone. He will be halfway to 30 by the time he might head back to Denmark. This is why I dont know why there is so much talk about Hamid. I wouldnt discuss him until he makes a huge jump in his game... which seems very unlikely.

7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree with Hamid.

Berhalter hasn't had a chance to assess his player pool that closely due to coaching a club team prior to a month ago, so its hard to fault him here. Lets see if he makes an adjustment after a few months of watching his keepers.

10. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You agree that Hamid is better than all four of those other guys? Dude layoff the weed.

bsky22 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It is really weird all the hype for guy who had his best season 5 years ago. It is kind of funny that Hamid thinks he is better than Steffen. It shows that he doesnt understand what he needs to work on his game, so there is no reason to expect him to improve. playing in the same place that he stalled at 4+ years ago Im not a big fan of Johnson but nice to see the improvement he has made at NYCFC.

The reality that many dont want to accept is that playing in MLS is good preparation for goalkeeper trying to play international soccer. Horvath and Steffen are stlll very early in their careers and are or will be in much better environments by next fall. Hamid should look at Johnson and focus on beating him out and getting back to Denmark. He will be at least 30 before he has a chance to get to bigger league. I just dont see it happening.

The two comments are pretty entertaining. They remind me of 97531.... highlights, big saves, obscure stats, etc.

Noah Ratcliff
    Bill Hamid is the most underrated player for the USMNT to date and he's the most humble a player can be. Bill is the type of player who doesn't like to talk himself up because the proof is in the pudding. If you saw Bill Hamid's highlight reel you'd think he's one of the biggest goalkeepers in the world, the amount of times he's made supernatural saves to keep DC United in matches is ten times that of Zack Steffen. The unfortunate thing is, an actual FULL and COMPLETE highlight reel of Bill Hamid that covers ALL of his professonal career doesn't exist anywhere on Youtube because he's just that underrated. The fans of the USMNT are hot over Zack Steffen right now because of the recent trend of hitting the reset button for the whole roster and refilling it with the youngest players. It's about time Bill speaks up for himself because NOBODY deserves to be between the posts for the national team more than Bill Hamid.

Kendall Perez
    Bill Hamid in his last couple of years before leaving for Europe WAS DC UNITED! If not for him DC United would have been the laughing stock of MLS. Zack Steffen is a good keeper but he's no Hamid.

13. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're better then the guy that just got picked up by Man City for 10 mil when you couldn't win the #1 spot for a team in Denmark?

Cool story bro

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    People can mock Hamid for saying he thinks he's better than all 4, but that's the way HE is supposed to think.

He got knocked a little bit down the pecking order due to his failed adventure in Europe. Now he needs to return to DCU and re-establish himself as the top of the domestic pecking order. He has to prove it.…………………..

For me the keeping position after Zack Steffen is wide open. [I'm not yet as convinced by Horvath as others.]

Zinkoff, Winoman, largegarlic and 2 others repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i'm sure Howard believed himself better than Van Der Sar despite losing the no.1 role at United to him. Pro-athletes need that abnormal confidence in themselves.

hamid should have gone abroad years ago. I really feel he can snag the no.3 spot from Guzan. Berhalter might have it up for grabs.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is similar to when people claimed that the Dortmund bench player was bigger than the whole NT.

They want to elevate certain players to a level they haven't yet reached. For Steffen to be better than Hamid, he has to play better than him. Signing with Man City, having higher potential or anything that doesn't have to do with outplaying Hamid, does not make him better than Hamid. Thats not to say Steffen shouldn't be the starting NT keeper, but he he has yet to show better form in MLS.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Howard would have been delusional then. He couldn't convince Ferguson he was better than Roy Carrol or Arena that he was better than a 35 yo Keller who had fallen out of favor at Tottenham. I guess it is possible and would be consistent with some of his supposed irrational behavior after the goal to Porto.

Athletes need to have confidence, but if they dont have the talent to back it up, then it can actually be a deteriment. I've told you many times what i think he needs to do to be in consideration and I dont see him making those changes if he hasnt already.

18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You think Berhalter doesnt know the goalkeepers in MLS? You know Berhalter's teams have faced Hamid many times. By my count, it has been 10 times over the last 6 seasons. The last time was was less than two months before he named the roster. I'd think every coach in the league scouts other teams and tries to understand the opposing goalkeepers tendencies. Given that Berhalter is supposedly a big user of "metrics", I'd think he would have all kinds of data and video analysis of Hamid.

It is amazing the the excuses and rationalizations you make when your "annointed" players careers fall way short of expectations you created for them as teenagers.

onefineesq repped this.
  19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I will probably respond to this silliness in two posts. I'm not sure what you mean by form, but based on my understanding of the usage, I'd never use form to decide who I think is the better Keeper. I'd possibly use it to give a player the nod when two are very close. An example might have been Arena using it to choose Freidel over Keller in 2002???

Let's start with MLS. There are apparently quite a few people who seemed to think that Steffen was materially better than Hamid this year. By just looking at the two times Steffen and Hamid faced each other, most people would choose Steffen, even with his blunder on the first goal in the playoffs. Steffen still has a lot to work on, but he is way ahead of Hamid in a lot of areas. While mis-played the one ball, he has much hands consistently holds balls cleanly vs Hamid rarely holding anything that is easy and without much pace. He has better footwork, take up better angles, and stays big while reacting much later.

Hamid's tendencies are easily seen in these two games. Consistently over commits early and often doesnt get the angles right when the ball moves laterally (see the header in the playoff game). Hamid's aggressive and erratic play often leads to the whole defense being in disarray while Steffen brings a calming presence.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The idea that Steffen isnt ahead at the international level is mind boggling. How does Steffen actually performing well against tough opponents in 2018 while Hamid has never shown he is up to the task not put Steffen ahead? Hamid only has three games outside a January camp... a nicaragua game where he had nothing to do and two very unconvincing performances against Ireland where he up 6 goals. I was going to put videos up, but not worth the effort.

largegarlic and ifsteve repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Was Howard really that poor against PortoPorto? From what people say; that match ended his United career.

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid's an FCM "nothing". And the "Dortmund bench player" is about to go to Chelsea for 73 million dollars, while Hamid was loaned back to the club he left after a single appearance.

Similar? Not in the least.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are missing the point. I wasn't comparing the ability of the two players.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Steffen is anointed as the starter either, with Horvath on his heels, particularly after Italy.