US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know its the high expectation ive developed as a USMNT GK fan over the late 90s/early 00s, but man it is rough not being able to watch a Keller, Friedel, Howard week in-week out in Europe. We really should have at least three guys we can count on in England, France, Italy, Germany............but we got guys in Ligue 2 or struggling to make it off the bench in Denmark and Belgium. That, for what we are used to, is incredibly disappointing.

judodono repped this.
  2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He has to want to go and not sure he does. I'd love to hear some rumors and have him make some type of comment with at least some interest. He played a very solid game all the way around today. He made the saves he needed to and looked to have the ones covered that werent on frame. Cleanly held everything he attempted to and gave up no rebounds in dangerous areas. He is very steady and calming back there. I want to rewatch but from memory, I thought he was solid distributing as well.

ChuckMe92 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    howard has only been as good as steffen was today a handful of times since he left everton.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  4. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A first-place team wasn't going to dump the goalkeeper who got it there in the middle of a championship race.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You're right. He has the summer to fight for that. Plus he has European games this Fall.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We don't even play a meaningful game for over a year, so there's no hurry to pick the most in form 23.

Hamid needs to start getting regular game time again though. If he can do that, he should have a decent chance at competing for the #1 spot. Steffen looks like the front runner now, but there probably aren't more than 1 or 2 players in the player pool who have locked in spots right now.

7. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Finally. Thanks.

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Just read that Steffen is the 20th highest paid goalkeeper in MLS this year with $145k. Crazy.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Brugge did. Multiple times.

Besides that, Midtyjlland is a very analytics-driven club. If their data says a goalkeeper switch is going to improve their chances of winning, they're switching goalkeepers.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve always thought Steffen has had that charisma factor that great keepers have. He’s finally coming of age. In a few years keeper will be good and competitive again. It’s another position that suffered through a 5-10 year drought.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Sadly, I see little alternative to hacking/skewing their data. Sadder still, I lack the necessary skills to do that myself. Is there someone else here who can take care of this? Don't go overboard, and don't be too obvious. Oh, and don't get caught, as BS protocol requires that we disavow any knowledge of your actions. Thanks in advance!

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Season starts for both Hamid and Horvath. Let's hope they both land the #1 spot

Suyuntuy and Winoman repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Contrary to what I expected, Horvath has the better outlook.

TxEx and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    For life is quite absurd, and MLS the final word.

15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrific mistake by David de Gea...along with Karius in the UCL final, shows just how difficult it is for any keeper to maintain his nerves in a major match -- like Steffen was able to do in Lyon against a lineup worth hundreds of millions of euros and 60,000 loud spectators.

LouisianaViking07/09 and TimB4Last repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nope...…………………

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, Brugge >>> Midtjylland, so the #2 keeper for the former is doing a bit better than the #2 keeper for the latter, right?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Horvath has CL this Fall for Brugge, I'd hope he stays and dukes it out for the #1 spot

19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to a poster in his YA thread who follows the club closely, there's a good chance that Club Brugge loan Horvath to another Belgian first division or Eredivisie club, which wouldn't be bad at all. Regular playing time in a decent league.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    All goalkeepers at this level can make big saves. Doing the routine for 90+ is the differentiator.

ChuckMe92 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iceland’s keeper would walk into our starting spot

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    must be all the fairies they believe in,

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I kinda hope he stays and dukes it out. A lot of games for him to get some PT. But if a big Dutch club is interested, he should def go.

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the logic but have to disagree. Goalkeeper is such a different situation from the other positions where you can have a top goalkeeper playing for a weak club, however, if a goalkeeper isn’t playing, it’s amazing how fast he’ll fall off.

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice video of one of the more underrated young-ish keepers in the US pool: