US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    It's been hard to watch Horvath and now Hamid play absolutely horribly. Hamid may have actually been worse. Guess we ride with Steffan unless someone else emerges. I'm fine with crossing fingers and hoping he steps up internationally and plays as strongly as he does in MLS, but I do miss the days of having multiple goalies playing and starting in big leagues all around the world. Last failed WC cycle was the first where I feel we can definitively say the US did not have the best goalies in CONCACAF. Looks like that trend is likely to continue for a while. Would be nice to see Steffan go abroad as long as he can actually get playing time.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was absolutely atrocious. Damn shame too. I pray it was rust but I can’t remember seeing a pro goalkeeper play that badly.

The shame is that both Hamid and Horvath problem is mentality and not ability.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the hell did we get ourselves in the predicament where we project to have a really solid team, except there is zero hope in goal.

Think about it....

RB Newcastle United
    RB Eintracht Frankfurt
    RB Levante
    CB Tottenham Hotspur
    CB Chelsea
    CB Manchester City
    CB Wolfsburg
    LB Everton
    CM Schalke
    CM Red Bull Leipzig???
    CM Chelsea
    CM Benfica
    RW Paris SG
    FW Werder Bremen
    CF Borussia Dortmund
    GK ????

4. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yeah, it suddenly looks like one of our weakest positions. I remember when we all thought it was the one position we never had to worry about..... insert some gobbledygook about how Americans use their hands so of course we have great goalies all the time... Now, not so much.

5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Not on topic for the thread, but when I saw the roster release for these games with the game affiliations, it kind of made me do a double-take. If you took away the player names, the clubs made look like it could be Belgium's roster or something. Of course, most of our guys on the books at the biggest clubs won't end up there, but it made me feel optimistic that better times are on the horizon, and maybe sooner than we think.

Of course, then I actually watched the Ireland game, and that put a bit of a damper on things.

ChuckMe92 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    American goalkeepers are great shot-stoppers, generally.

They're shit with their feet though, which makes them lousy goalkeepers in the modern game.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear ya, but to be honest, I wasn’t too dismayed by the Ireland match. Ireland is still a competitive squad and this is a new group, without a real coach, and away. To me, the real test is the rebound from adversity.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wanna blame Bradley and JK (especially JK) for not giving the younger guys much looks beyond winter friendlies. Hamid should have had double his caps by the time he finally left MLS. Though a lot of that was due to his injuries at the worst possible time. He trialed with several PL clubs.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    modern as in the last 5 years since Neuer/DeGea/Courtois emerged as world-class keepers?

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I recall some years ago that Hamid and Sean Johnson were potential future no.1's
    Our guys need to go abroad. They can't be spending 5-8 years in MLS. 3 years should be Max for those who have the talent.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #236 ChuckMe92, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    For my current hypothetical 2022 World Cup squad, just three current MLS field players (Adams, Durkin, Carleton -- all of who could well be in Europe by then) make it of the 20 field players. Carleton made it due to his potential as a #10 but just barely squeezed in. And I had to leave off a lot of foreign-based players who I don't dislike including Taitague (yeah, it's shocking to leave him off, but when you have Pulisic, Weah, Amon, and de la Fuente on the wings with Saief as veteran depth...), Novakovich, Hyndman, Gall, Moore, Olosunde, Fossey, Green, Zelalem, K. Scott, and more; any of them could move up. There were obviously young MLS field players I left off who I like as well, but I included just three on the final roster, and I felt it was pretty fair. Meanwhile, two of the three keepers I have selected are currently in MLS, and it could have easily been all three.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    RB Newcastle United --> yep.
    RB Eintracht Frankfurt --> rotation guy since early March.
    RB Levante --> actually Levante in 4th division.
    CB Tottenham Hotspur --> actually, Championship player.
    CB Chelsea --> top 6 Eredivisie, so it's ok.
    CB Manchester City --> mid-table Belgian league.
    CB Wolfsburg--> injured, always injured.
    LB Everton --> Championship relegation fodder.
    CM Schalke --> yep, may have earned starting spot too.
    CM Red Bull Leipzig --> not yet.
    CM Chelsea--> really?
    CM Benfica --> actually, Benfica B in the 2nd division.
    RW Paris SG --> they couldn't find a pic of him for the one game he started.
    FW Werder Bremen --> injured, always injured.
    CF Borussia Dortmund--> yep, still there.
    GK Horvath Brugge --> Got three starts in the Championship Playoff, not too shabby. Still, I don't trust him.

So he's more or less in synch with the rest, when we're honest.

Dr.Phil and deuteronomy repped this.
  13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We should have worried about keepers 2 years ago. That's when we hit the bottom.
    Now we have 5-6 serviceable keepers in MLS. This isn't the weakest position anymore.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I don't understand the pessimism about our GK's. Steffen is a stud.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I would guess because very few play abroad now. And the 2 that do havent played as much as was hoped. So, we need proper challengers to keep everyone sharp.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There are a lot of folks really high on Brady Scott of Cologne in Germany.
    He's probably the starter for our U20 World Cup team, and is probably going to be in contention for our U23 Olympic team.

Its rare that we've had an Olympic team with as wide open of a competition in goal as the current 2020 squad. Steffen is too old. So.........................

Last cycle there were some real problem positions as we entered qualifying. The dearth of talent in those positions had consequences for the full national team years down the line. For instance, it was a really thin U23 team in terms of forwards. After Jordan Morris it was slim pickins.

So while there are some options, a thin pool at keeper is a problem. There are other positions like CB and CM that are deep this time.

17. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.everybodysoccer.com/eve.../2015/8/15/bill-hamid-outsanding-or-overrated

Some of the stuff in this article are still happening to Hamid. He just has not gotten better at his deficiencies in a way that inspires confidence. It's not rust, that's who Bill Hamid is. Great saves at times, boneheaded mental errors and poor technical problems at others.

I think we have a pretty clear top 5 for now that can change as we move forward in the short term
    Steffen
    Melia
    Bono
    Guzan
    Horvath
    Then a drop to the next tier, and young players trying to prove themselves. It will be interesting to see who cracks the top 5 over the next year.

I really believe the gk position is as open as it has been in a while.

Some good prospects, some veterans trying to break in. Going to be fun to watch and since theres no real games for a while, perfect time to find out what they have.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Horvath doesn't belong there. Turner might be next Melia.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    There's Jonathan Klinsmann too, although his last game played in the Regionalliga (4th division) was in March 25th (@ Nordhausen, 2-2) and since then is reported with a shoulder injury.

He had a ligament injury last summer that took him out until the middle of October, so this season he's only played 10 games for Hertha II and the game vs. Östersund in the Europa --only game for the main team, of course by then Hertha was already eliminated.

So, not very promising, and he seems injury-prone.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Klinsmann isn't really worth discussing until he starts actually playing regularly.

21. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can we all agree that our best goalkeepers need to be playing abroad. And need to be starting for their clubs abroad.

10 years ago, we had 4 starting keepers in the PL. Seems like forever ago and doesn't ever seem likely again for us. Our boys need to be challenging themselves.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That error was rust. Arguing otherwise is pretty laughable, but I get it. There are some of you who dislike Hamid and this is your moment.

If you want to go after Hamid with any degree of seriousness, make the point when he's played more than once per month the last 9 months.

Winoman repped this.
  24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it speaks poorly of Hamid that he hasn't been able to crack the Midtyjlland lineup, and I've always liked Hamid.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    When was he given a chance? The starter played so well this season he nearly made the Denmark WC team. All of the keepers Denmark took to the WC would start for us.

Regardless, I just think it makes little sense to further a narrative when a player is clearly out of form because of a lack of games. Blame Sarachan if you want for calling in Hamid, but drawing serious conclusions or furthering narratives about what Hamid can do in regular form during a time he's clearly out of form is irrational, IMO.

Winoman repped this.