US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part II

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Nov 7, 2011.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not sure why a thread about USMNT goalkeepers would be the place to discuss u20 game? Seems more like a desire to pile on to the kid. He had a decent game barring the three goals and don't think the representations here are accurate at all. He made poor decisions and/or executed poorly on all three plays, but was put in bad situations on all of them.

It's reasonable to question if he should be the #1, but benching him now would be an overreaction that could end up causing more harm than good. Tab made his choice and should stick with it.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been mentioned a number of times on this thread.
    Given the discussion, here, it might be surprising that you are quoting me.
    Perhaps, some analysis might be expected here?
    "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"
    Didn't you just say that he had a decent game? Most realize that top goalkeepers get their teams out of bad situations all the time, right? That goes with the job. It's the mediocre/poor ones that make things worse, right? Decisionmaking, it's a key quality for goalkeepers. His decisionmaking has been suspect since we first knew of him, correct?

It was a surprise to many that he even got the number 1 shirt. And that stuff happens in the U-20 ranks. The real measure will see who develops from this squad to make it to the U-23. Things get a bit more difficult from here.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yes... I stand corrected. There have been some post about up and coming goalkeeepers, trials, etc.

Quoted you because you were the one that posted that link within30 mins of the game ending and knowing full well the response it would get. I also find posting a link to a blog that any clown could write as a way to say something without technically saying it yourself. Finally, the analysis in that link was incredibly simplistic and not much above those who piled on or ignore significant and repeated mistakes of goalkeepers that people are being proposed for the the USMNT for years.

a boneheaded gaffe by their goalkeeper would undo all of their hard work soon after. A ball played back to Klinsmann left him slightly under pressure. Instead of getting rid of it, he decided to try and dribble out of trouble and gave it right to Cabezas who slotted home the finish to restore Ecuador’s lead.

I'm not sure it even qualifies as boneheaded or poor decision making as opposed to execution. Herrera played him a horrible ball across his body that he settled and then found himself under pressure. He tries to drag it across his body to play wide to the other side but takes a horrible touch. He recovers enough to try clear between two attackers but doesn't get enough on the ball. He is left scrambling and in no position to make a save. Why doesn't Herrera play the ball wide of the goal to his strong foot (that is a pretty common rule for backs, no? Play the ball wide of the goal so at worst you give up a corner)? Why doesn't Acosta check wide on the left side so he can just toe poke it to him and if he isn't really going to try to show for the ball, why not worry about defending?

In the game thread, someone posted a playof Higuita trying to beat roger Mila 35 yards from goal. This play was nothing like that his... defenders put him in a tough situation, his touch let him down and it led to a goal.

I said he had decent game where he was fairly active, barring the 3 goals. I actually thought he had a good game minus those plays. Staying at home wasn't an option on the first, but not committing might given him a chance. He read the long touch and challenged for the ball. A minute later, the guy banged one home from point blank range. I don't think any of the plays are cut and dry and expect the the first two to end up as goals 9 times out of 10. So overall a mixed outing than I'm sure he doesn't feel good about.

4. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, it's fine with me if you think he had a decent game.

I am just going to have to agree to disagree.

5. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine if Bill Hamid had made those errors...

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Reading is fundamental....

He's made many, many worse... and yet some advocate he start for the national team.

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was just about to make the comparison, cant have it both ways. A Hamid error is a Klinsmann error is a Howard error is a Buffon error. They all count, its just about the frequency in how often they occur. Unfortunately, Klinsmann's U-20 transcript is paralleling Hamid's U-23 transcript, and you gotta make the change assuming Klinsmann and Marcinkowski are even remotely equal (which many believe JT is the superior keeper anyway). In 2002 if Friedel made a series of woopsiedaisies that cost us 2 points and Keller is just chillin on the bench, you make that switch to Keller that next game and don't think about it twice. Same logic applies here. I know for a fact even on his worst day Marcinkowski is as least as good as Klinsmann. The switch needs to be made before more points are dropped.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    They are different arguments... Hamid's mistakes against the same average MLS competition prove he isn't an upgrade to what we have and Klinsmann's struggles against better competition than he is used to seeing aren't nearly as bad as they are being made out to be.

An error is an error. The conclusion drawn based on a 20 yo making one vs an international caliber GK in his prime are different to me. There are risks to changing and not changing GKs. It becomes quite tricky, especially in a tournament. I haven't seen much of Marcinkowski so have no opininion, but have noticed Klinsmann being judged very harshly on any play not handled cleanly (throw in a lol phone joke and it is easy question objectivity). I don't see a great GK in Klinsmann but there is a fair amount of potential. If I had chosen him as my #1, I probably wouldn't sit him for that performance. If Tab sits him, no big deal... except if Marcinkowski isn't as good as you say and then you have two GKs with their confidence shot.

Freidel didn't have a "perfect" tournament in 2002, and I knew many people who wanted Keller for the second and then third game and then fourth game. Freidel should have easily dealt with free kick that led to South Korean goal and was slow off his line on goal against Poland.

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann is this youth cycle's Cody Cropper. Big-bodied, can make some big stops, error-prone. As the U-23 cycle picks up, he could be usurped by a Marcinkowski, Vom Steeg, Scott, or Austin similar to how Cropper eventually was by Steffen and Horvath. Still part of the picture, but not starting anymore.

10. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is an article about being a Pool goalkeeper, Tim Melia made the most of this situation . . .

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...o-in-major-league-soccer-as-a-pool-goalkeeper

"That's why it's a younger man's game for something like that. But it is hard to swallow, and if you go in there with any negativity, you'll get called out real quick. I just tried to go to every club and just say, 'Hey, I'm here. Use me as little or as much as you want. I'm here to help you guys. If you want me to go out there and take shots for an hour, that's what I'm here for.' I really just tried to grow individually as a human from it. It really puts you in your place very quickly."

Melia credits then-LA manager Bruce Arena for allowing him to continue training with the Galaxy after Chivas USA let him go, which enabled him to maintain his form.

"[Arena] didn't need me there. He had a ton of goalkeepers," Melia said. "But it just kind of kept me going. I just said: 'It's the middle of the summer, I need to do every single thing to make myself be in the best possible shape come January.' I absolutely worked my ass off."

Melia went on to have stints that season with Kansas City, FC Dallas and D.C. United, but it was his stop in Kansas City that paid off. Melia caught the eye of SKC manager Peter Vermes, was offered a contract with the team and then won the starting job the following season. He hasn't looked back since.

Ghost repped this.
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it makes you wonder how many more are are sitting on benches. Edwards with Orlando, Richey with Vancouver, Miller with Seattle, Wolverton with LA (3rd string), Tarbell with San Jose, MacLintosh with Portland........theres gotta be some starters in that bunch.

12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So glad to see that Horvath is starting to get some starts at Brugge before the end of the season. Was worried he wouldn't get a chance till the start of next year.

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Tough game for Steffen. Conceded 5 goals and 3 he could have done better on...

Goals
    • 6' - TOR - Victor Vazquez (PK) WATCH [went wrong direction]
    • 39' - TOR - Justin Morrow WATCH [little reaction on shot from 15 yds on not great angle... guessing that he was expecting shot to far post???]
    • 59' - TOR - Victor Vazquez WATCH [reacted well to free kick that went under wall]
    • 86' - TOR - Jonathan Osorio WATCH [one v one... caught in no mans land and attacker slipped it right by him from the 18]
    • 90+3' - TOR - Jordan Hamilton WATCH [no reaction on header from 4yds back across goal ... probably should have made a play on cross]

14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Horvath makes the preliminary squad for the critical June WC qualifiers, along with the three WC veterans, and ahead of Bingham, Hamid, Robles, and others. Great sign for him.

mike4066 and deuteronomy repped this.
  15. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's probably the best of the bunch too (including Howard & Guzan) if we're being honest. Not sure I'd trust him in a critical WCQ, but still.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What does Rimando do to keep getting called up?

We are just handing out spots for free now? People criticized Klinsmann for this, Arena should get just as much criticism for it.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A case could be made that Rimando is the third best keeper in the pool.

He was MLS goalkeeper of the week just two weeks ago.

http://m.goal.com/c/en-ke/news/4500...schweinsteiger-/nick-rimando-real-salt-lake/3

May 22, 2017 16:25:07
    [​IMG]
    NICK RIMANDO | Real Salt Lake | The 37-year-old stood on his head in a 1-0 loss to Seattle, making several remarkable reaction stops and stoning a Clint Dempsey penalty. The one goal conceded was a deflected strike that left him no chance.

Props to Nick for setting the all time MLS saves record . .

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena names his starter . .

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/05/arena-names-howard-usmnt-starter

“As of now it’s Tim Howard,” Arena said Monday. “He had two good games (in March) and we’ll have to see how these guys look over the next couple of weeks. We have good goalkeepers here so that’s the least of my worries.”

“I feel great,” Howard said. “My body’s been getting stronger week by week as I came out of preseason. I feel good about where I’m at, and how I feel physically obviously that’s the most important thing. The soccer is the soccer, and the goalkeeping is natural for me now at my age.

“If I have the honor of representing my country, and I say it all the time, it probably sounds like lip service but outside of my kids it’s the greatest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” he added, “so it means the world to make it on the field, and put that shirt on and try to lead this team and perform well.”

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    skim172 repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    *was

The case for him being the third best right now is pretty non-existent, IMO.

His overall body of work the last few years has been really poor. I'm sure he's capable of having a nice game, but that doesn't mean he's been anywhere near the level required of a NT player the last few seasons.

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the vid I think only the 2nd goal he could have done better. All the other ones his defense left him out to dry.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It'd seem far better to have brought in a Hamid or Bingham or Steffen rather than Rimando.

ChuckMe92 repped this.