US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part II

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Nov 7, 2011.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't like any "get out of" moves. Neither I like this one.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Rimando is better with his feet than nearly every US keeper, the problem here is that very few US keepers are even average with their feet.

And I think we overrate Rimando's ability with his feet due to how bad most US keepers are with their feet. We compare him to Howard, Guzan, Hamid, etc. who are not particularly good with their feet.

russ repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    $2.1 million for 3 years. That's an incredible amount to turn down.

I wish Hamid the Best. 2 years in Denmark (maybe some Europa/Champions League to book his stock) and he gets himself a move to the PL or Bundesliga or Serie A.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's done:

One secondary effect of this is it gives Eric Klenofsky a real shot to win the DCU starting job for 2018. He was arguably the top overall keeper in NCAA soccer the last few years and got a trial with Everton. He's just 23 and could potentially figure in NT discussion if he starts and does well in MLS.

Steffen had a career-high seven saves vs. NYCFC:

LouisianaViking07/09 and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Steffen also let up a pretty bad goal, and committed a penalty, which is why he got the chance to save that penalty. He's getting there, but I don't think he's there yet.

I'd prefer him to Gonzalez who has been unable to raise the level of his game, but still behind Horvath for now, IMO.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If Steffen's teammates aren't going to feed him PK-saving opportunities, he has to feed himself. How else is going to get better at saving PKs?

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
  9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not advocating for Gonzalez over Steffen as I like both but Gonzalez kept FCD in many games at the end of the year and made some incredible saves in a few games. I think he's starting to be a real leader back there and that wasn't the case before. I'm pretty happy about all the young keepers. I think several of them will become big time but they aren't there yet.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamid, Horvath and Gonzalez.

:cool::D:)

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChrisSSBB, ChuckMe92 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  13. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this could be interesting:

1. an mid-career MLS academy project who took a pay cut to move from MLS to the Danish League in Europe.
    2. a young U.S. Development Soccer Academy project who moved to Norway after high school and then to Belgium but just lost his starting position due to repeated mistakes.
    3. a young MLS academy product who is now a starter for Dallas at age 22.

ChuckMe92 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamid, here's your chance.

Steffen and Gonzalez, keep aware of the situation.

It's a free-for-all at the moment.

Though I kinda wanna see a Keller/Friedel competition between Horvath/Hamid. Each pushing the other further

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the simple mistakes. But he's coming from being 1 of the best in Norway to playing for the biggest/best team in Belgium. A learning curve.

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As unstable as the situation may seem, I certainly believe the winner of the competition will be better than what we've had in goal lately with Howard (no disrespect intended to Howard and his past achievements).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    SIght unseen (lately) I take Steffen over Gonzalez.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Steffen, Gonzalez and Yarbrough. Those will be my pick.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would say the only one of these three that's ahead of Brad Guzan right now in terms of the "eyeball test" is Steffen.

I'm glad that we're calling in Horvath/Gonzalez and giving them a chance to impress the staff, but let's not assume their development. Horvath has been benched in Belgium for a reason. Gonzalez makes the spectacular save at times, but I don't think there's a ton of separation between him and a bunch of MLS vets (the Tim Melia types).

All positions for the USMNT now should be wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open. Keeper is one that seems wider open than most. I have a feeling that a lot of guys are gonna get a chance prior to Gold Cup 2019. Alex Bono of TFC is growing on me, for instance.

20. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I've only seen a handful of Horvath's games, but whenever I've watched, he's either been shaky or has had nothing to do. Clearly, he has to have had his fair share of good games too to get where he is, but I'm uncomfortable rating him above Steffen at this point, given that every time I've seen him, he's ranged from average to superman.

butters59 repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Who is Yarbrough?

22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    There are no Tim Melia types. Melia is by far the best in MLS for the last two seasons.
    We could have had all the crap on the field that we had in quals but Melia in goal and would qualify easily.

23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeper for Club Leon in Liga MX, born and raised in Mexico to American parents who were Christian missionaries. Previously represented El Tri at U20 level before joining up with the USMNT in 2015 under Klinsmann, has three MNT friendly caps. Occasionally capable of the spectacular, but otherwise seems very inconsistent, has at times looked horrific for both Leon and for the US (vs. New Zealand in October 2016). Lost his starting job somewhat recently before getting it back. Doubt he would have gotten as much attention if he were not a dual-nat. No evidence that he's been in the US's plans since Klinsmann's departure.

LouisianaViking07/09 and butters59 repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sorry for being unclear. I meant that he is very mediocre.

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yarbrough's half vs. New Zealand in October 2016 was among the worst performances I've seen from an MNT keeper, bad enough that it still comes to mind now; he was just lucky to not get scored upon.

ussoccer97531 repped this.