News: US-Cuba reconciliation, impact on Cuban NT?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Paul Calixte, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case you haven't heard: US and Cuba are (finally!) back on speaking terms. It's not a complete return to normal relations - the embargo is still officially there, although one imagines that its demise will be shortcoming - but diplomatic relations will be restored.

On our end, I have to ask: what does this mean for Cuba? Unfortunately, the equipazo they could've had in the middle of the last decade is no longer possible...but what if the defectors came back? Think of Osvaldo Alonso anchoring Cuba's midfield in the next Gold Cup... :eek:

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What I would hope it does is allow players to develop outside of their domestic league freely & come to MLS and any other League they so desire. How soon in the future remains to be seen but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

3. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    Not much. In the late 80s the Cubans announced that they were going to emphasize soccer more. As you can see, not much has happened. They've really fallen short.

4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I hope it boosts them tremendously. I'd like to see all 4 CONCACAF qualified teams to be Hispanic. A stronger Cuba would help make that possible.

soccersubjectively repped this.