US-Canada, the midfield

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Oct 15, 2019.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley was, relative to the group, decent in terms of his play.

In terms of his leadership, holy Christ that was...comically, yet malevolently, inept.

I don’t get the selection of Roldan. In MLS he’s a useful player because he does a little bit of everything. At a higher level, he doesn’t have anything he’s really GOOD at. OTOH, for God sake, that was Canada, not France.

As a DC fan, I’d rather have Roldan than Canouse, to pick an example of one player whose game I know pretty well. But at the international level, I’d rather have Canouse, because he at least does one thing (win the ball) at an international level.

2. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like Gregg doesn't believe in tackling based on the roster.

I would like to see the US be hard to play through for a change. He needs some steel on that pitch.

Who on the current roster was supposed to be the ball winner?

Winoman repped this.
  3. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Who cares about winning balls, were there any dangerous #longdiagonals tonight?

50/50 Ball and Winoman repped this.
  4. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 rgli13, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    bradley had his best passing game (maybe not in stats but being positive, actually finding players to build an attack) in, i dont know, two years? was just as useless as usual otherwise. roldan was there to help cover for bradley (causes thats our priority) and was tragic bad in every way. wes, i dont know, was there? honestly completely neutral to me.

this was a fantastic example of the berhalter era- an adequate player who we have to play to cover for a player who shouldnt be in the team, which absolute neuters anything we could be getting from one of our young, very good/potentially great players. thats it. thats the book on berhalter. that is the era of us soccer we are in.

Winoman repped this.
  5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Honestly, aside from that one mistake, Bradley was very good tonight and one of our best players. He was aggressive on offense and defense.

Roldan was terrible and we should not be starting him.

McKennie was awful for the most part. I'm not sure if he completed a single pass forward, and about halfway through the game, he took a thirty minute break.

This team needs Adams bad. But it also needs McKennie to to become more consistent.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  6. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    It's not Bradley as much as it is how Bethalter defines the position. And I say that as someone who has been finished with Bradley for some time now.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    And just expecting Adams to fix all problems in this absurd midfield is setting him up for failure too.

FLSoccerGran, TxEx, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need at least a couple of athletes to cut down time and space. Arriola leading the press as he does for DC would be nice. I also like an actual DM and an AM.

Sargent/Morris

Pulisic

Wes-Lleget-Arriola

Yueill

Lima-CB-CB-Cannon

FLSoccerGran and Winoman repped this.