US Best 23

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by sickboycool, May 23, 2003.

1. sickboycool

sickboycool Member

May 13, 2002
    Woodland, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the USMNT could field their best 23 possible, what would it look like? I don't mean potential(all of you outh there who know that Adu and Martino are the future of American soccer) I mean the real deal. I also believe that players like Sanneh(who is recovering from injury) have more than enough right to be on this team due to the fact that he is still one of the best defenders the US has.

We will go with the traditional World Cup format of 3 GKs.

GK *Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller, Tim Howard

D Tony Sanneh, *Eddie Pope, *Carlos Bocanegra, Bobby Convey, Frankie Hejduk, Gregg Berhalter, *Steve Cherundolo

M *Claudio Reyna, *John O'Brien, *DaMarcus Beasley, *Chris Armas, *Earnie Stewart, Pablo Mastroeni, Cobi Jones, Chris Klein, Eddie Lewis

F *Brian McBride, *Landon Donovan, Clint Mathis, Taylor Twellman

These are my choices, who would you add or subtract. This is completely subjective. The thing is that this is who I feel has produced the most for Club and country and who the US can relay on for a full 23. It kinda stinks that Friedel, Keller, McBride, and O'Brien look to be for sures that won't be in the Confed. Cup.

* Starting 11

Friedel

Cherundolo Pope Bocanegra

Armas
    Beasley Stewart
    Reyna O'Brien

Donovan McBride

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Masteroni has better ball skills than Armas, so I would go with him. I think its a win win situation with those two, they are both great players that deserve to be on the field.

3. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    I like your 23 except, subtract Stewart and Cobi and add Olsen and Wolff.

4. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Subtracting is easy. Adding is much harder. I'd like to cut Klein or Jones, but there just doesn't seem to be a good right mid to replace them. I think Olsen will continue to flop with the nats.

In back, Cherundolo should go. Maybe Barrett or Suarez or Garcia could handle that spot in the very near future, though at the moment Steve is better than them. I also expect to see Convey get into the midfield.

Up front, I think Twellman should stay home, but there's not many strikers to replace him with. Maybe Buddle, who seems to work harder for the ball.

And of course, the omissions of Agoos and Regis are unforgivable!

5. Straight Red

Straight Red New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Don't like Churundolo in a back 3. Wingback maybe, but he's too puny for that assignment. If we went 3-5-2 I'd prefer a healthy Sanneh alongside Pope and Boca.

Also, is O'Brien definitely missing the Confed Cup?

6. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK-Friedel, Keller, Howard
    D-Bocanegra, Barrett, Pope, Califf, Berhalter, Cherundolo, Sanneh, Hejduk
    M-O'Brien, Lewis, Mastroeni, Armas, Beasley, Reyna, Klein
    F-Donovan, McBride, Mathis, Twellman, Buddle

Would've liked to include Olsen, but he's not 100% yet plus Klein has been impressive at RM for the USMNT.

Martino & Convey are not quite ready yet either IMHO.

My toughest choice was for 5th forward. Wolff & Razov are SOLID but injured too often, which is kind of funny considering my choice (Buddle) is also injured at the moment!!

Overall, I like my 23 & would match them up against anybody, including Brazil.

Of course, it's a LONG time until 2006 & a lot can (and probably will) change in the next 3 years.

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st 23

GK: Steffen, Hamid, Horvath
    RB: Lima Yedlin,
    CB: Brooks, Miazga, Besler, Long
    LB: Johnson, saief
    CM: Adams, Mckennie Lletget, Nguyen,
    WideMid: Pulisic, Manneh, Holmes, mueller
    F: Wood, Altidore, Morris, Ramirez

2nd 23:
    GK: Melia, Johnson frei
    RB: Cannon, Polster
    CB: Robinson, Opara,Zimmermann, CCV
    LB: Villafaña, edgar castillo
    CM: Nagbe, Morales, Feilhaber, Canouse,
    WideMid: Gall, lewis McNamara,arriola
    F: Sargent Weah Agudelo ebobisse

3rd 23:

GK: Guzan, howard gonzalez
    RB: Rosenberry, Nerwinski
    CB: Birnbaum, Alvarado, Parker EPB
    LB: antonee Robinson Beasley
    CM: hyndman, james sands, hayes pomykal
    WideMid: Picault gooch tillman, amon
    F: wright zardes novakovich sapong

Honarble Mention/Injured/Dual nat: siebatcheu, pierie, chandler, danny williams, bradley, trapp, zardes, tyler boyd, toljan, bello, danilo acosta, macnamara, hedges, hines-ike, kelly rowe, james sands, durkin, shaq moore, joe corona, hairston, mihailovic, kellyn acosta, julian green, wooten, jann george, sabbi, efrain alvarez, lichaj, tim ream, dest, desevio payne, kyle scott, omar gonzalez

i'm sure i've forgotten some and some of these players will drop off/rise up etc.....and i'd probably switch some of the players where they would go if i had more time to think it over....as well as a lot of these players havent really had a chance with the team so it is hard to say where they stand.....

8. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummmmmm ... what?

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    basically trapp zardes, bradley omart gonzalez guzan are nowhere near best 23, imo...and some of the players on the fringes are more deserving.....

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his question is more about why you bumped a thread from 2003... 16 years ago.

olephill2 repped this.
  11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at the same time - it is impossible to really dig into the depth chart with any clarity when so many of these players have never really gotten a run-out with the team.

a big reason why I do not like the small circle...inner circle approach to roster building and the idea that a few years early in the cycle can just be wasted away without consequences.

12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    b/c i wanted to make a list of 1st 2nd and 3rd best 23 for usmnt....to show that there is a lot of depth.....and this thread was already there so i just used it.